Some advice from those who know.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Some advice from those who know.

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 am

Right i know its a little early to be thinking about next season with this one in mid flow but i need some advice from you guys.

Next season i intend to take the plunge and finally get a seasoncard. So before i do i wanted to ask a few questions of those who know.

1. Where is the best place to sit, for atmosphere, singing, friendly banter, ect.

2. I live down south, now my mate reckons i could easily drive up to manchester in 3 hours in the early morning before the game, that said i live 5 minutes from stansted airport so i could fly and taxi to the stadium, which do you guys reckon would be best, does anyone already do something along those lines.

3. Where should i avoid sitting in the stadium.

4. Finally where can a get a good pint before the match.

Thanks in advance :D
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Re: Some advice from those who know.

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:26 am

Blue Blood wrote:Right i know its a little early to be thinking about next season with this one in mid flow but i need some advice from you guys.

Next season i intend to take the plunge and finally get a seasoncard. So before i do i wanted to ask a few questions of those who know.

1. Where is the best place to sit, for atmosphere, singing, friendly banter, ect.

South stand or east stand blocks 110,109, each side of the away support

Blue Blood wrote:2. I live down south, now my mate reckons i could easily drive up to manchester in 3 hours in the early morning before the game, that said i live 5 minutes from stansted airport so i could fly and taxi to the stadium, which do you guys reckon would be best, does anyone already do something along those lines.

depends on the cash mate, taxi to the stadium would be about 15/20 notes. driving is much cheaper but the M6 is an ARSE

Blue Blood wrote:3. Where should i avoid sitting in the stadium.

Family stand at all costs, no atmosphere. I sat there for 3 years and hated it!

Blue Blood wrote:4. Finally where can a get a good pint before the match.

TOWNLEY best city pub in the world
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Burt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am

Blue Blood wrote:Right i know its a little early to be thinking about next season with this one in mid flow but i need some advice from you guys.

2. I live down south, now my mate reckons i could easily drive up to manchester in 3 hours in the early morning before the game, that said i live 5 minutes from stansted airport so i could fly and taxi to the stadium, which do you guys reckon would be best, does anyone already do something along those lines.

You must ave pots o dough mate:o)

I think that you can get the train now from Ringway to Piccadilly. Be about 100 times cheaper than taxis but if you've got loadsa dough, it shouldn't matter.

The Townley is the local battle cruiser for a pint before kick off.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:32 am

Wonderwall wrote:

South stand or east stand blocks 110,109, each side of the away support

Blue Blood wrote:2. I live down south, now my mate reckons i could easily drive up to manchester in 3 hours in the early morning before the game, that said i live 5 minutes from stansted airport so i could fly and taxi to the stadium, which do you guys reckon would be best, does anyone already do something along those lines.

depends on the cash mate, taxi to the stadium would be about 15/20 notes. driving is much cheaper but the M6 is an ARSE

Blue Blood wrote:3. Where should i avoid sitting in the stadium.

Family stand at all costs, no atmosphere. I sat there for 3 years and hated it!

Blue Blood wrote:4. Finally where can a get a good pint before the match.

TOWNLEY best city pub in the world

Thanks alot for that mate, any idea what a seasoncard in them areas cost roughly?

Also wheres the best safest place to park the car?

And as for the Townley, would i be right in thinking most the lads who post on here go in there pre match, would be good to meet some of you guys for some pre match banter :D
Blue Blood

Postby Chad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:33 am

3 hours is pretty optimistic from Chelmsford isn't it?
Chad
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:35 am

Burt wrote:

You must ave pots o dough mate:o)

I think that you can get the train now from Ringway to Piccadilly. Be about 100 times cheaper than taxis but if you've got loadsa dough, it shouldn't matter.

The Townley is the local battle cruiser for a pint before kick off.

Ah sadly i don't have loads of dough so i'm looking for the cheapest most efficent way of pulling this off.

Train is an option i guess, i haven't really looked into it though as i guess it'll be quite expense from here to manchester via that route. I'll have an ask though, i guess you never know.
Blue Blood

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:36 am

If there are two of you, expect to be sitting in one of the more expensive seats, devoid of atmosphere.

If you want a pair of adult tickets, the club allow existing ST holders to transfer first. You wont get 2 together in the popular blocks, but you might get 1 if your going on your own
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:38 am

Chad wrote:3 hours is pretty optimistic from Chelmsford isn't it?

Thats what i thought, but my mate pops up north to see another mate of mine who lives in manchester quite often, and he reckons 3 hours is the average he is doing it in.

I also have a meaty motor so i'm pretty sure i could do it, although if im right theres a heavy number of speed traps on route so prob best to take my time methinks. lol.
Blue Blood

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 am

johnpb78 wrote:

If there are two of you, expect to be sitting in one of the more expensive seats, devoid of atmosphere.

If you want a pair of adult tickets, the club allow existing ST holders to transfer first. You wont get 2 together in the popular blocks, but you might get 1 if your going on your own

It'll just be me. So thats why i want to make sure im sat in the right area.

Fingers crossed i can get a good seat! I imagine they'll be quite a rush on this season, given how well we are doing atm.
Blue Blood

Postby Beeks » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 am

Well i'm a south stander but I quite liked my derby day seat in 110 if that helps...good view and plenty of banter and singing
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Well i'm a south stander but I quite liked my derby day seat in 110 if that helps...good view and plenty of banter and singing

I nicked this off google.

So i'm thinking south stand just behind the goal would be ideal. How is the view from the corners btw?
Blue Blood

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 am

Takes me about two and a half to three hours from Oxfordshire!! I might also look into gettin a season ticket if I can get back into singers. I often go up on my tod so wouldn't be bothered about gettin a seat on my own.Or when I go with a mate we usually sort our own seats out as close as poss. Was goin to get one this season but work was low so thought I best give it a miss. Plus, train is always the best option rather than driving.Can be energy sapping watching City at times and sitting back relaxing on the train is on the cards rather than a long drive home. Plus, I hate being cooped up in a car for ages.

Maybe have a dabble on nationrail.co.uk and type in some journey times and see what comes up? Changes, cost, train times there and back. Its actually pretty good for me. Got one for the liverpool game for £29 return and that straight through there and back! Usually costs about £45 return though but can sometimes get them cheaper if you book in advance. Id actually be interested in seein the prices you get though :-/
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:02 am

Blue Blood wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Well i'm a south stander but I quite liked my derby day seat in 110 if that helps...good view and plenty of banter and singing

So i'm thinking south stand just behind the goal would be ideal. How is the view from the corners btw?

I used to be a southstander.Went into singers to give it a go (good ol days where you could pick and choose where to sit) and it won me over straight away.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:04 am

Blue Blood wrote:

I was in the corner between the Colin Bell/South Stand 2nd tier right level with the goal line when we first moved, 220 I think) and it was a top seat, great view, decent banter and there were plenty of singles left this pre-season as I tried to move back there this summer but had no chance with 2 kids in tow
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 am

Also, try and get in level 1. Uppers are a better view, but best atmos in the first level
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 am

Dazzacity wrote:Takes me about two and a half to three hours from Oxfordshire!! I might also look into gettin a season ticket if I can get back into singers. I often go up on my tod so wouldn't be bothered about gettin a seat on my own.Or when I go with a mate we usually sort our own seats out as close as poss. Was goin to get one this season but work was low so thought I best give it a miss. Plus, train is always the best option rather than driving.Can be energy sapping watching City at times and sitting back relaxing on the train is on the cards rather than a long drive home. Plus, I hate being cooped up in a car for ages.

Maybe have a dabble on nationrail.co.uk and type in some journey times and see what comes up? Changes, cost, train times there and back. Its actually pretty good for me. Got one for the liverpool game for £29 return and that straight through there and back! Usually costs about £45 return though but can sometimes get them cheaper if you book in advance. Id actually be interested in seein the prices you get though :-/

I'm thinking what i'll do given everones feedback is get some single match tickets and give all three methods a go this season and decide based on which of the three is the best balance between cost and time and experience.

Where theres a will, theres a way as the old saying goes!
Blue Blood

Postby Burt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:12 am

Dazzacity wrote:Takes me about two and a half to three hours from Oxfordshire!! I might also look into gettin a season ticket if I can get back into singers. I often go up on my tod so wouldn't be bothered about gettin a seat on my own.Or when I go with a mate we usually sort our own seats out as close as poss. Was goin to get one this season but work was low so thought I best give it a miss. Plus, train is always the best option rather than driving.Can be energy sapping watching City at times and sitting back relaxing on the train is on the cards rather than a long drive home. Plus, I hate being cooped up in a car for ages.

Good call this. Surely train is better and definately less strenuous. Probably a lot cheaper than car as well.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 am

Burt wrote:

Good call this. Surely train is better and definately less strenuous. Probably a lot cheaper than car as well.

Yeah. I gave the car a few goes and even with diesel it was using half a tank (prob between £25-£30) plus the wear and tear on the engine,the hassle ,and the fact you have to watch ya drinking, I soon switched back to getting the train. Will still drive it everynow and then when I cant get train times.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dazzacity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 am

I done a rough search for a 3pm Sat ko..Not too bad tbf
You could train a few games and drive a few depending on what you fancy.

And to give you an idea of gettin cheaper tickets when bookin in advance..Save yaself about £30!!

edit;-Think the links were playin up. have a look though. There was plenty of trains and seemed to be about £70 return but found it for £42 if ya book a couple of weeks in advance.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Dazzacity wrote:I done a rough search for a 3pm Sat ko..Not too bad tbf
You could train a few games and drive a few depending on what you fancy.

And to give you an idea of gettin cheaper tickets when bookin in advance..Save yaself about £30!!

edit;-Think the links were playin up. have a look though. There was plenty of trains and seemed to be about £70 return but found it for £42 if ya book a couple of weeks in advance.

£42 isn't bad at all. I'd def get through that in petrol.

They're building a park and ride right by my gaff too, goes right to the train station and back so certainly makes alot of sense for me. I'll have a proper look into it this evening.
Blue Blood

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum