1976, Boro home...memories

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

1976, Boro home...memories

Postby s1ty m » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Memory Lane time, anyone else old enough?

I was 11 in 76. I had been to Wembley in 74 and witnessed a very one-sided game that we snatched defeat right from the jaws of victory.

I remember the night my dad called from a club in didsbury, after he'd been to the match. Me mum shouted up that it was 4-0, it was the league cup round 4 I think, when Colin did his knee and we did the rags big time. Anyway, there was a moments pause, then she added...'to city'. And i was allowed to watch Sportsnight to see City run rampant against the shite.

Semi-final night came and we were 1 down from the first leg up at Ayresome Park. We ripped them to bits at MR (shit, just realised they are my initials too, fuck me!) and I listened on the tiny transistor radio we had as Royle went in for the 4th. My god the noise.

I went to the Final too, stood on a beer crate, and have a living image in my head of a fella going upside down and scoring that goal. We all thought it was Hartford at the time. The image has stayed with me for 34 years. 34 fucking years.

Time for a change.

I always loved the League Cup and because we had been in the Final in 70, 74 and 76, I assumed it would just go on like that. All this downgrading of our cups is wrong, they have a rich tradition. Nothing compares to a good cup tie. Of all though, I still think the 81 semi at Villa Park just edges my greatest days out - the City fans took the place over and we beat the best side in the country at the time, Ipswich. It was mental when we scored, absolutely mental in the Holte End.

Enjoy the game people, savour it. It's been a while.

Michael.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Re: 1976, Boro home...memories

Postby M147WN » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am

I remember the night well mate!
I was 14, it was the era of skinners, cap sleave shirts and docs.
It was a bloody cold night and as usual before going to a game me mam would say make sure you're all wrapped up and warm.
I had a black gaberdine trench coat which was ok but being 14 and feeling the need to comply with the uniform of the day rather than being "all wrapped up and warm", I'd leave the house wearing the coat but would shove it under a bush at the bus stop to reveal the aforementioned garb.
It got cold but fuck it we all went like that and once off the bus and in the Kippax it was warm as anything.

Like you said we mullered boro and at the final whistle we invaded the pitch and just went mad celebrating.
I ran up to a TV camera and screamed "YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS" into the lens.

Fucking great night!! We were off to Wembley.

We got the bus home and I duly retreived the trenchcoat from under the bush and was in time to catch the game on Sports Night.
It was great reliving what went on less than an hour or so before but when the final whistle blew and we started celebrating my mam says "thats you!! thats our John!! ....... wheres your bloody coat???

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby JonnyAsh » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:04 am

I was in the Kippax, and just remember this guy with a bowler hat, and obviously someone had knocked a ciggie out in his hat, which was smouldering for most of the match, with the bloke totally unaware
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby s1ty m » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:57 pm

M147WN wrote:I remember the night well mate!
I was 14, it was the era of skinners, cap sleave shirts and docs.
It was a bloody cold night and as usual before going to a game me mam would say make sure you're all wrapped up and warm.
I had a black gaberdine trench coat which was ok but being 14 and feeling the need to comply with the uniform of the day rather than being "all wrapped up and warm", I'd leave the house wearing the coat but would shove it under a bush at the bus stop to reveal the aforementioned garb.
It got cold but fuck it we all went like that and once off the bus and in the Kippax it was warm as anything.

Like you said we mullered boro and at the final whistle we invaded the pitch and just went mad celebrating.
I ran up to a TV camera and screamed "YYYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS" into the lens.

Fucking great night!! We were off to Wembley.

We got the bus home and I duly retreived the trenchcoat from under the bush and was in time to catch the game on Sports Night.
It was great reliving what went on less than an hour or so before but when the final whistle blew and we started celebrating my mam says "thats you!! thats our John!! ....... wheres your bloody coat???

superb!
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Return to The Maine Football forum