Fancy buying a club for a quid?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fancy buying a club for a quid?

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Chester City if anyone is interested!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 479433.stm

Also Crystal Palace have gone into administration today, ten points deducted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 481549.stm

Pompey will surely follow suit next month.

When will clubs start paying players less money, that'll solve all the debt issues???
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Fancy buying a club for a quid?

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 pm

This is so depressing. Hate to think this could've been/ could one day be us.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby gillie » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Its surely only a matter of time before one club dies for ever a sad state of affairs imo.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby pears12 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 pm

It is a sad state of affairs, I have this feeling had we not beaten Gillingham in 1999 we would of been in this same situation. But there has been a lot of clubs in last few seasons in particular going into financial difficulty, ie Southampton, Portsmouth, Darlington etc.. I think these financial problems will see a reduction of wages outside top end of football
pears12
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:59 am

pears12 wrote:It is a sad state of affairs, I have this feeling had we not beaten Gillingham in 1999 we would of been in this same situation. But there has been a lot of clubs in last few seasons in particular going into financial difficulty, ie Southampton, Portsmouth, Darlington etc.. I think these financial problems will see a reduction of wages outside top end of football

I think we would of been ok with Bernstein at the helm, It went wrong when he stepped down and Wardle (With his fan's head on, pandered to Keegan's wishes) opened the cheque book a litle too wide.

To be fair to Wardle though, he took a hit later and showed his class in bailing us when Thaksin went tits up.

but.........it all went incredibly right, so lets not dwell on the past. The future is blue!
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:57 am

Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute wrote:
pears12 wrote:It is a sad state of affairs, I have this feeling had we not beaten Gillingham in 1999 we would of been in this same situation. But there has been a lot of clubs in last few seasons in particular going into financial difficulty, ie Southampton, Portsmouth, Darlington etc.. I think these financial problems will see a reduction of wages outside top end of football

I think we would of been ok with Bernstein at the helm, It went wrong when he stepped down and Wardle (With his fan's head on, pandered to Keegan's wishes) opened the cheque book a litle too wide.

To be fair to Wardle though, he took a hit later and showed his class in bailing us when Thaksin went tits up.

but.........it all went incredibly right, so lets not dwell on the past. The future is blue!

this couldn't be further from the truth. Bernstein had very little of his own money involved. Wardle was already involved then. When Bernstein resigned Wardle reluctantly took over as chairman as no one else was interested.

Furthermore, we had had crippling debts eversince early-80's probably. No one had been taking care of them and interest was mounting. THAT was the reason why beating Gillingham was so essential. We spent more money than anyone has before or probably since in that level before 98/99 season as final throw of dice.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Fish111 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:09 am

gillie wrote:Its surely only a matter of time before one club dies for ever a sad state of affairs imo.

I can see Stockport going under permanently tbh. The Sale Sharks owner even owns the ground so Stockport have sweet FA assets to bargain with. The only way to ensure stability is for the bottom two leagues to go semi-professional and become regional, i.e: North/South leagues. That way they could all cut costs dramatically and be able to operate within their means. Cup competitions would offer the opportunity to play teams from the south division and vice versa etc.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Vhero » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Chester City if anyone is interested!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 479433.stm

Also Crystal Palace have gone into administration today, ten points deducted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 481549.stm

Pompey will surely follow suit next month.

When will clubs start paying players less money, that'll solve all the debt issues???

It's gonna happen the wage drop in the next few years you can count on it.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum