The Italian Approach To Tactics (worth a read)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Italian Approach To Tactics (worth a read)

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 am

from yesterday's Telegraph....a lengthy but very interesting article IMO. Esp of course in the light of our manager

Italian stereotype degrades Roberto Mancini and Serie A

Rarely do Manchester City fans find reason to complain when their side has overcome their all-conquering rivals from down the Mancunian Way.

Seeing Manchester United’s Red Devils swamped by the sky-blue sea is such a treasured occasion that it seems churlish to find fault with the method by which it is achieved. Perhaps, then, it is a mark of how much the outlook of City’s fans has been changed by the billions of Sheikh Mansour, by the excitement which surrounds the club, that last Tuesday’s Carling Cup semi-final win was deemed, by some, insufficient.

The general theory seemed to be that United, rocking back on their heels after Carlos Tevez first equalised and then fired City ahead, were there for the taking. Instead, City, lining up with three defensive midfielders – Pablo Zabaleta, Nigel de Jong and Gareth Barry – failed to go for the jugular, content merely to protect what they had. A 2-1 win leaves the tie as finely poised as the balance of power in what is, arguably, England’s greatest footballing city (that, though, is another blog, for another day).

Consensus had it that there was only one reason for City’s reticence to pour forward. “He’s Italian,” bemoaned Gary Lineker after the game. Roberto Mancini, that is. He’s from Jeda, you see, in Italy, and it is a widely-believed fact that football managers from Italy are all defensive cynicism and impeccable tailoring.

Lineker, obviously, is not the only person to have bought into the idea that Italian football is inherently cautious. If he was, he would not have said it, the increasingly orange former Leicester front-man being famously afraid of original thought. It is a stereotype which endures from the 1960s heyday of catenaccio, and it is, as with all cliches, based partially in truth. Nereo Rocco, who would go on to manage Milan, introduced the system – first pioneered at Servette in Switzerland by Karl Rappan – at Padova in the 1950s, before Helenio Herrera perfected it with Inter. Pure catenaccio is a simple construct, achieved by playing a defensive sweeper behind a three- or four-man defensive line, with diligent midfielders employed to track runners. Defenders mark man-to-man, the sweeper picks up loose balls, and players double up where possible. It is the Ronseal of tactical systems. Done well, catenaccio, quite literally, closes the door and bolts it shut.

That is not to say that Herrera’s Inter or Rocco’s Milan were not capable of great artistry when going forward. Inter won the 1965 European Cup final 1-0 with a team which included Jair, Sandro Mazzola and Luis Suarez, all fine attacking players. Yet the image endures: Italian teams grinding their way to success. Even 40 years on, we cannot escape the stereotype. Whenever an Italian side, or in City’s case, a side managed by an Italian defends against more attack-minded opposition, the old cliche is trotted out. Where the Premier League stands for excitement, passion and flair, Serie A means boring, defensive, cynical.

Such a stereotype misleads. The Premier League, it is fair to say, enjoys a certain tactical uniformity. Most sides play a 4-4-2 – which, as everyone in England knows, is the correct formation – or, possibly, the old 4-5-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 in attack (except that it doesn’t, it’s still a 4-5-1, the players are just standing in different positions). A few renegades play a 4-2-3-1, which is just a 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder. The value prized above all, as Robinho would testify, is work rate, and industry. Fans will politely applaud a step-over, or a pirouette, but they will howl derision at a player who ducks a tackle or fails to be elbowed in the face when competing for a goal kick. If football is war, English football is still, largely, two groups of woad-painted barbarians running at each other really fast.

To extend a metaphor to the point of absurdity, in Italy, if football is war, it can be a phalanx against guerrillas, or two sides fighting to a standstill in the trenches, or infantry against cavalry, or whatever. Just as English teams were lining up in the W-M formation when Rocco was honing catenaccio, Serie A continues to leave the Premier League behind in terms of innovation. It may not be played with the same frenetic pace – and only a fool would suggest it is as blood-pumpingly exciting as the English game – but tactically, Italy is the world’s crucible.

It was at Roma that Luciano Spalletti first experimented with the 4-6-0 formation which Sir Alex Ferguson has tried to implement at Old Trafford. It sounds defensive, but it really isn’t. It is fluid, and reliant on players of great technical ability. Udinese have played a 3-4-3 for several years, enjoying considerable success for a team of scant resources. Genoa play the same system, and find themselves in the Europa League. Bari play a 4-3-3, a true 4-3-3, earning themselves the nickname Baricelona in the Italian press. Napoli currently occupy a Champions League slot and have been known to play a 3-5-2. Remember that? And they don’t even have Vegard Heggem.

It is in Italy, too, that the role of the trequartista was perfected. Teams continue to find room for a playmaker, freed from defensive responsibility, who is tasked with infusing their play with a dash of imagination. The more common term for the role is fantasista. Another Ronseal moment. It was the position which gave the world Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Baggio, Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Totti and that lad at Sampdoria, the one who went to Lazio, had a spell at Leicester. Oh, yes. Roberto Mancini.

The trequartiste still thrive in Italy, though they have, admittedly, been given less licence to defend as and when they fancy. Stevan Jovetic, at Fiorentina, is as good an example as any, while hopes are high for Sebastian Giovinco of Juventus. The closest the Premier League has are Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney, and we still struggle to think of them as anything other than a midfielder and a striker. Small wonder, when a player as imaginative, as gifted as Mancini comes to coach in England and we naturally assume he must be defensively-minded, just because he’s Italian.

Oh, and for the record, I fully expect Mancini to play on the counter tomorrow night. But not because of where he was born, but because football is about winning. After all, there’s nothing as entertaining as a victory.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Re: The Italian Approach To Tactics (worth a read)

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:48 am

ant london wrote:from yesterday's Telegraph....a lengthy but very interesting article IMO. Esp of course in the light of our manager

Italian stereotype degrades Roberto Mancini and Serie A

Rarely do Manchester City fans find reason to complain when their side has overcome their all-conquering rivals from down the Mancunian Way.

Seeing Manchester U***d’s Red Devils swamped by the sky-blue sea is such a treasured occasion that it seems churlish to find fault with the method by which it is achieved. Perhaps, then, it is a mark of how much the outlook of City’s fans has been changed by the billions of Sheikh Mansour, by the excitement which surrounds the club, that last Tuesday’s Carling Cup semi-final win was deemed, by some, insufficient.

The general theory seemed to be that U***d, rocking back on their heels after Carlos Tevez first equalised and then fired City ahead, were there for the taking. Instead, City, lining up with three defensive midfielders – Pablo Zabaleta, Nigel de Jong and Gareth Barry – failed to go for the jugular, content merely to protect what they had. A 2-1 win leaves the tie as finely poised as the balance of power in what is, arguably, England’s greatest footballing city (that, though, is another blog, for another day).

Consensus had it that there was only one reason for City’s reticence to pour forward. “He’s Italian,” bemoaned Gary Lineker after the game. Roberto Mancini, that is. He’s from Jeda, you see, in Italy, and it is a widely-believed fact that football managers from Italy are all defensive cynicism and impeccable tailoring.

Lineker, obviously, is not the only person to have bought into the idea that Italian football is inherently cautious. If he was, he would not have said it, the increasingly orange former Leicester front-man being famously afraid of original thought. It is a stereotype which endures from the 1960s heyday of catenaccio, and it is, as with all cliches, based partially in truth. Nereo Rocco, who would go on to manage Milan, introduced the system – first pioneered at Servette in Switzerland by Karl Rappan – at Padova in the 1950s, before Helenio Herrera perfected it with Inter. Pure catenaccio is a simple construct, achieved by playing a defensive sweeper behind a three- or four-man defensive line, with diligent midfielders employed to track runners. Defenders mark man-to-man, the sweeper picks up loose balls, and players double up where possible. It is the Ronseal of tactical systems. Done well, catenaccio, quite literally, closes the door and bolts it shut.

That is not to say that Herrera’s Inter or Rocco’s Milan were not capable of great artistry when going forward. Inter won the 1965 European Cup final 1-0 with a team which included Jair, Sandro Mazzola and Luis Suarez, all fine attacking players. Yet the image endures: Italian teams grinding their way to success. Even 40 years on, we cannot escape the stereotype. Whenever an Italian side, or in City’s case, a side managed by an Italian defends against more attack-minded opposition, the old cliche is trotted out. Where the Premier League stands for excitement, passion and flair, Serie A means boring, defensive, cynical.

Such a stereotype misleads. The Premier League, it is fair to say, enjoys a certain tactical uniformity. Most sides play a 4-4-2 – which, as everyone in England knows, is the correct formation – or, possibly, the old 4-5-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 in attack (except that it doesn’t, it’s still a 4-5-1, the players are just standing in different positions). A few renegades play a 4-2-3-1, which is just a 4-5-1 with an attacking midfielder. The value prized above all, as Robinho would testify, is work rate, and industry. Fans will politely applaud a step-over, or a pirouette, but they will howl derision at a player who ducks a tackle or fails to be elbowed in the face when competing for a goal kick. If football is war, English football is still, largely, two groups of woad-painted barbarians running at each other really fast.

To extend a metaphor to the point of absurdity, in Italy, if football is war, it can be a phalanx against guerrillas, or two sides fighting to a standstill in the trenches, or infantry against cavalry, or whatever. Just as English teams were lining up in the W-M formation when Rocco was honing catenaccio, Serie A continues to leave the Premier League behind in terms of innovation. It may not be played with the same frenetic pace – and only a fool would suggest it is as blood-pumpingly exciting as the English game – but tactically, Italy is the world’s crucible.

It was at Roma that Luciano Spalletti first experimented with the 4-6-0 formation which Sir Alex Ferguson has tried to implement at Old Trafford. It sounds defensive, but it really isn’t. It is fluid, and reliant on players of great technical ability. Udinese have played a 3-4-3 for several years, enjoying considerable success for a team of scant resources. Genoa play the same system, and find themselves in the Europa League. Bari play a 4-3-3, a true 4-3-3, earning themselves the nickname Baricelona in the Italian press. Napoli currently occupy a Champions League slot and have been known to play a 3-5-2. Remember that? And they don’t even have Vegard Heggem.

It is in Italy, too, that the role of the trequartista was perfected. Teams continue to find room for a playmaker, freed from defensive responsibility, who is tasked with infusing their play with a dash of imagination. The more common term for the role is fantasista. Another Ronseal moment. It was the position which gave the world Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Baggio, Alessandro Del Piero, Francesco Totti and that lad at Sampdoria, the one who went to Lazio, had a spell at Leicester. Oh, yes. Roberto Mancini.

The trequartiste still thrive in Italy, though they have, admittedly, been given less licence to defend as and when they fancy. Stevan Jovetic, at Fiorentina, is as good an example as any, while hopes are high for Sebastian Giovinco of Juventus. The closest the Premier League has are Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney, and we still struggle to think of them as anything other than a midfielder and a striker. Small wonder, when a player as imaginative, as gifted as Mancini comes to coach in England and we naturally assume he must be defensively-minded, just because he’s Italian.

Oh, and for the record, I fully expect Mancini to play on the counter tomorrow night. But not because of where he was born, but because football is about winning. After all, there’s nothing as entertaining as a victory.

What a brilliant article. Well found Ant.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby dazby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 am

Yeah, it's a good read. I think Mancio has already shown we've got attacking skills in us.

However, tonight I'd just love to see a flawless defensive display. Keep em to 00000.00000000 recurring.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby blues-clues » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am

A cracking good read that.

Recurring theme in the article is that players have to work hard!
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:52 am

Read somewhere this week that Mancini was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of players he had taken over. Playing on the counter and having Tevez, Bellamy, SWP, Ireland, Ade, Petrov etc at your disposal already is a dream. Dont forget they only have to click just once to win the match.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Beeks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:55 am

Quality read...makes me feel a little more optimistic about tonight
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby 9secondlegend » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:17 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Quality read...makes me feel a little more optimistic about tonight

me to!

i was saying somthing similar to this last week when my mate was complaining we should go at them i agreed but i said this will work (although i still wanted us to go at them!!)..we just wait and wait and then BANG goooooo
i think sven played similar in the 1st half of his season and it worked!

COME ON THE BLUES!!!!
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 am

Great read, were gonna do it no question about it can't wait come on city!!!
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 am

Great read that, and as an Italian who has read many times the old clichè about Italian teams/football/managers being only defensive and generally not at the same level of the Premier League since I've taken an interest in English football, I can't help being particularly fond of this article, lol.

I do agree that English football is generally more exciting to watch (but it can depend on the individual game, too), mostly because of its pace and more physical approach, but not for that reason Serie A should automatically be considered of a lower quality.

This said, if what it takes for us to go through tonight is a vintage display of Italian catenaccio, I'm all for it. Whatever Mancio reckons the best to take home the pass for the final, it's fine by me. I've come to think in these last few months watching Roma, that results are all what matters, really. Roma played fluent, exciting attacking football with Spalletti, and it worked for some time, leading them for two years in a row into the last eight of the CL, but then since last season it started not working anymore. Ranieri came, and revitalised the side, with a more careful approach, tightening the defence with a 4-4-2 diamond formation (but it can vary, from a flat 442 to a more attacking 4-2-3-1) and now Roma sit third in Serie A, within reach of the second place, after being rock bottom with two defeats in two games when Ranieri arrived.

It may not always be pretty to see, but it works, and as long as it's not just boring horizontal passing, I have nothing against the "first don't concede, then try to score" philosophy.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby dazby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:16 am

Rainieri is a genius and will always be my number 1 choice for City manager. I'd take him over anyone tomorrow.

Not today of course, as he won't have had enough time to assess the squad. Could disrupt harmony a bit. ;-)
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 am

Interesting piece. I think it's the 9-1 formation that was a bit disappointing last week; we didn't break properly at all.

I've observed 1 or 2 Italian teams defending with the very narrow 4 that we've sometimes seen recently & still can't figure out if it's just a standard 4 which is accidentally too narrow, players too slow or too slow to react (like Gaz v Valencia) or a conscious effort to keep the 4 close together even if it means leaving 15 yards of space for both winger & fullback to run into.

Perhaps there's a theory that more goals are scored when the back 4 break up early than when the 4 stick together longer, even if there's a wide man unmarked? All seemed a bit scarey to me v rags but perhaps if the rest of the team are fully fit then they'll cover those areas quicker, which wasn't the case v rags?

P.S. I thought Pearce invented the 4-6-0 formation? Or was that the 6-4-0?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:40 am

Ted Hughes wrote:P.S. I thought Pearce invented the 4-6-0 formation? Or was that the 6-4-0?

i think it was the latter but I was too busy running a warm bath and shopping for gin, paracetamol and rasor blades to really analyse the formation under SP
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Kladze » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Seems to me that the watchword Mancini adopts regarding tactics and formation is "flexibility".

I think, and hope, that this can only be a good thing.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Return to The Maine Football forum