"Money doesn't make a club big, only silverware does"

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

"Money doesn't make a club big, only silverware does"

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 am

Manchester City may be the wealthiest club in the world, with a chief executive proclaiming that it will soon be the ‘biggest and best’, too – but for Andrew Cole, there remains only one 'big club' in Manchester.

Speaking ahead of tonight’s League Cup semi-final second-leg, the 38 year-old - who played for both Manchester City and Manchester United - told Goal.com UK: “Money doesn’t make a big club – it’s history and picking up silverware year in and year out that makes you the biggest.

“That’s why so many players want to go to Manchester United. A lot is made of Manchester City having all the funds, but it is no different to when Roman Abramovich took over from Chelsea – it’s a new challenge for the likes of Manchester United– and everyone loves a challenge.”

Cole, who is second on the list of strikers to have scored the most Premier League goals – netting 187 times in 407 games - said that he expects an exciting encounter at Old Trafford tonight and backed the Red Devils to overturn a 2-1 deficit to make it to Wembley.

He said: “I look at this game just like a European game. United have gone away from home and lost a game they shouldn’t have lost. But they are only 2-1 down and that is not such a bad result.

“If things work out well – and everyone knows it’s going to be a very tough game – United will get the result. It will be a great match – I’m really looking forward to it.”

Cole is one of a few players to have the distinction of playing for both Manchester clubs.

In six years at Manchester United he scored 93 goals in 195 games, helping the club win a host of trophies - and playing a key role in the 1998-99 treble-winning team.

In 2005 he joined Manchester City on a free transfer from Fulham and scored nine goals in 22 games before injury brought his season to a premature end.

Cole dismissed suggestions that Manchester United's captain - his former team-mate Gary Neville - should be punished for his one-fingered gesture to Manchester City's Carlos Tevez.

“It’s all handbags. Nev just loves that kind of stuff. He will wind up his own players, and people who don’t know Nev get the wrong idea. I played with Nev and always enjoyed his company.

Cole, who grew up in Nottingham, is currently keeping himself busy by planning a celebrity golf tournament for Prince Charles’ charity, The Prince’s Trust, which works to provide socially and economically-deprived youths with employment and training.

It is a cause that is close to Cole’s heart. He said: “We know what is going on with kids at the moment – there’s a lot of kids getting into the wrong crowd, binge dinking and so on. Becoming an ambassador for the Prince’s Trust has given me an opportunity to use my profile as a footballer to send out a positive message and help in some way.

"I know what the temptation is like to make the wrong choices when you are young because I have been there. If I didn’t have football I would have drifted.

“I left home at 14 to play football after I saw two roads in front of me – you are with your friends and you end up doing things that you should not be doing – or you have the opportunity to leave for a new life and try and become a professional footballer. I am glad I made the right decision, but what about those talented kids out there who don’t have that chance?”

What a twat.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Re: "Money doesn't make a club big, only silverware does"

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:18 am

He's a fucking cunt is Andy Cole i feel like shit Pearce signed him.
He wants to become a kids ambassador,hey why dont you teach them about being a money grabbing whore?
Highest order dickhead.
Last edited by lets all have a disco on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 am

Its shit like this that make me want to win even more than I do now if thats possible!

What I'm gonna do is copy and paste every one of these fucking articles and if we win, send them one by one to all my rag mates. One every day.

That should do it!
Original Dub

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:19 am

says the man who broke the british transfer fee at the time to join them - dozy cunt
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Mike J » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:23 am

im fucking sick of all this history and silverware shit! are these people that fucking thick?? city were one of the poorest teams in the prem for years on end untill 2008. how did these ex players, pundits and cunts think we were going to win trophies. the club was barely afloat! these guys just cannot take it that the precious top 4 is not what it once was.

you need money these days in football. oh and andy or andrew you fucking twat. silverware didnt get you ronaldinho, robben, duff, shearer........ oh and carlos tevez.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby The Foggy Blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 am

His opinion is irrelevant.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:28 am

Just let them keep talking they all know were on the rise and there shit scared!!!!!!!
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 am

CHEEKY FUCKING CUNT CONSIDERING OUR ACADEMY IS DEVELOPING HIS TWAT SON
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Mike J » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

ant london wrote:CHEEKY FUCKING CUNT CONSIDERING OUR ACADEMY IS DEVELOPING HIS TWAT SON

he should defo get the boot, dont give a fuck how young he is! lol.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:34 am

someone should seal that twat coles mouth shut. drivel.
Blue Blood

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 pm

This is the standard RAG argument as the 'tick tock' is approaching.

It is clearly bollox, as that would mean the likes of Wolves, Portsmouth, Bolton and Huddersfield are huge clubs as they won loads in dim, dark history.

It would also mean that Nottingham Forest are 'bigger' than all clubs except Scum and the Dippers, which they clearly aint. I would class them as a medium club.

By the same argument would Scum be a 'bigger' club than City if they now suffered 2 successive releagtions just because they won a few titles in the past? Would they bollox.

So once again it's this constant clinging to history (already) as the torpedo approaches their ailing battleship. We clung to our fading history for many years, and now it's all about the present and the future. THEY dont want to go there!

Quite amusing really, and Cole always was a RAG twat.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby dikdik » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Who was the previous richest club? Say on average over the last twenty years...
Must be a toss up between Real Madrid, Bayern Muchich and Stretford Waddlers.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Beeks » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Money doesn't make clubs...wappers do
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm

We should have forced this cunt to retire instead of letting him go to pompy.
The fucking prick.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby john68 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 pm

For someone who is well into the history of City and extremely proud of what City have achieved, I fully understand what some of those fucking idiots don't.....
....HISTORY IS WHAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST....IT HAS NO RELEVANCE TO WHAT IS HAPPENING NOW OR WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE.

If their argument was accepted, then the rags would have had no right to be successful in the 1960s...up til then. The majoruty of their history was about FAILURE...SCANDAL.....AND ABJECT POVERTY.

What is pissing them off is the fact that they can see the cycle of rag success coming to an end and City creating a new cycle of success that they cannot compete with.

Treat it for what it is...AN EXHAUSTED CRY FOR HELP, FROM A GROUP OF VERY FRIGHTENED RAGS.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Florida Blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Move along lads, nothing to see here.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:58 pm

I ALWAYS said he was rag fuckwit, although when we signed I got the usual "bitter" shit here.

He was and is CUNT of highest order.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I ALWAYS said he was rag fuckwit, although when we signed I got the usual "bitter" shit here.

I can't believe *anyone* would describe you as a bitter person who cannot forgive past discretions? Name and shame them mate :D
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I ALWAYS said he was rag fuckwit, although when we signed I got the usual "bitter" shit here.

I remember those days, we stood and fought together ;-)

I refuse to give him any praise for his time at city, I refused to sing the munich song with his name in it, I refused to sing his name even when we scored. I even refused to fuclin call him ANDREW. One of the most hated rag players ever in my book and one of the biggest piles of shit to wear our shirt. I hate to see him as a panel guest on anything to do with City, he should not even be asked to comment on us. Fucking awful twat that he is.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

I remember those days, we stood and fought together ;-)

I refuse to give him any praise for his time at city, I refused to sing the munich song with his name in it, I refused to sing his name even when we scored. I even refused to fuclin call him ANDREW. One of the most hated rag players ever in my book and one of the biggest piles of shit to wear our shirt. I hate to see him as a panel guest on anything to do with City, he should not even be asked to comment on us. Fucking awful twat that he is.

THIS.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum