Do our players really understand what this match means?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Do our players really understand what this match means?

Postby trout man » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm

I am not suggesting they have no idea how important this is, but I feel that with new management and a lot of fresh faces in the team do they really know how we (the fans) are feeling today and what way are they mentally preparing for this match. I am on my third nervous shit of the day and I am sure there are a couple more due before the game tonight so I was thinking, 'what are the players thinking right now and what degree of motivation are they taking into this game'. There is one thing for sure, and that is that sir baconface and the likes of giggs, scholes and rooney will be hell bent on not reaching the final but perversely trying to prevent City from reaching the final. It may be that their negative approach to this match may be their undoing but what are our players thinking....this is surreal territory all round.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Re: Do our players really understand what this match means?

Postby Feed The Goat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 pm

I think Neddy and SWP will get them told mate dont worry.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Yes!
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 pm

They are not City fans in the main so even if SWP and Nedum have talked about it from their perspective then I don't think they could possibly ever remotely feel the same way that we do.

BUT this is still a MASSIVE FUCK OFF HUGE MATCH for them.

They are professional footballers and they know full well that the burden of the history that we feel as a desperate millstone that we want to shed gives them, in a very positive way, a chance to make history. Not only would they make history if they made the final (and maybe won the trophy) as part of the first City side in XX years to win a pot, they know full well that if they do so they will each and every one of them become legends in our city and at City.

And that's even if they just won this.

But I think they and we know that we are potentially on the verge of something much much bigger than "just" the League Cup Final. this is potentially City's entrance to the big time. For the players this could mean that they cement their places at the club and ensure their tickets for a pretty bloody amazing period of their professional lives.

Some of them have played in the Champions League and won trophies but many of these have been fleeting experiences/successes.

At City they have the chance to do this on a sustained basis maybe, with massive financial backing to ensure we get there and stay a while.

They have the chance to bloody a big famous successful nose on the way. AND (don't underestimate the emotional tug for all the players....even/especially the foreign lads who will have all watched English cup finals..) they will get to play a cup final at Wembley. That is a dream for anyone....professional players included.

This match will be fucking huge for most of them. I hope they can handle the pressure and I hope they do us proud.

Even if we were to lose we would learn from that and I believe we could win the FA Cup as a result. BUT I don't think we will lose.

All of you who are off to OT, you make sure you do your bit tonight.....and if we do win I look forward to meeting at least 25,000 Blues in my life who claim that they were there tonight! haha

Cmon City
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby trout man » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

ant london wrote:They are not City fans in the main so even if SWP and Nedum have talked about it from their perspective then I don't think they could possibly ever remotely feel the same way that we do.

BUT this is still a MASSIVE FUCK OFF HUGE MATCH for them.

They are professional footballers and they know full well that the burden of the history that we feel as a desperate millstone that we want to shed gives them, in a very positive way, a chance to make history. Not only would they make history if they made the final (and maybe won the trophy) as part of the first City side in XX years to win a pot, they know full well that if they do so they will each and every one of them become legends in our city and at City.

And that's even if they just won this.

But I think they and we know that we are potentially on the verge of something much much bigger than "just" the League Cup Final. this is potentially City's entrance to the big time. For the players this could mean that they cement their places at the club and ensure their tickets for a pretty bloody amazing period of their professional lives.

Some of them have played in the Champions League and won trophies but many of these have been fleeting experiences/successes.

At City they have the chance to do this on a sustained basis maybe, with massive financial backing to ensure we get there and stay a while.

They have the chance to bloody a big famous successful nose on the way. AND (don't underestimate the emotional tug for all the players....even/especially the foreign lads who will have all watched English cup finals..) they will get to play a cup final at Wembley. That is a dream for anyone....professional players included.

This match will be fucking huge for most of them. I hope they can handle the pressure and I hope they do us proud.

Even if we were to lose we would learn from that and I believe we could win the FA Cup as a result. BUT I don't think we will lose.

All of you who are off to OT, you make sure you do your bit tonight.....and if we do win I look forward to meeting at least 25,000 Blues in my life who claim that they were there tonight! haha

Cmon City

Good post Ant, i think you have identified all the reasons why our players would want to win, I just hope that it manifests itself on the pitch tonight. I think we are probably more freaked out by the outcome of this game than the players are...time for another pooh me thinks.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby dikdik » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I agree with above.
Perversely I think the absence of so many TRUE BLUES in the team is to our advantage. This will not inhibit their performance as much as someone with so much emotional intensity tied up in the match.

Aw shit, I've forgotten my lucky blue socks!!!!!!!!!
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Well i just hope that Bobby ManC shows more passion in the dressing room than the uba coolness he displays whilst talking to the media?!?!?!

As for Brian Kidd, this should definitely be part of his remit, maybe i am wrong but i didn't get that impression last week 20 min's or so into the match. Rags appeared a lot more fired up, dare i say even looked at home?

Hope to God "they're up for it" 10 fold by comparison to the first half of 1st leg.

Bobby ManC has stated that this (Legue Cup Winners) is stepping stone to league improvement, so lets hope he's got what it takes and can transfer that to the players. I have faith in him, but i'm still nervous as shit.

I want to hear this from Bobby ManC in the dressing room tonight...........Ripetizione dopo me ............. " più City" tipico"
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Oh and one thing for all of you lucky enough to be at the swamp tonight

If they go ahead....even if they are ahead with 89 minutes gone.....all is not lost and you can make a difference.

Remember 1999

ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sister of fu » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:16 pm

I feel phyiscally sick and it's only 3.20pm!!
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby ant london » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:19 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I feel phyiscally sick and it's only 3.20pm!!

me too....proper bricking it. I'm glad I'm not going....I'd be a nervous wreck. Don't really even want to watch it but am going to make myself.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:21 pm

The best decisions are always taken with a cool head.
For that reason, I want Mancio calm and collected on the touchline, with his eyes sharpand his football brain in gear.

I think our players will be under no illusion about the importance of this game. Not only to our fans and our history but also for what they want to achieve.

To beat the rags in a semi final with a cup final appearance against Villa will be a major deal; to them.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Fish111 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:29 pm

I can't see how professional footballers wouldn't understand the importance of a game such as tonights. A cup semi-final against arguably the worlds most famous club who happen to be located just outside of our city. I'm sure the importance will not be lost on them.

fuck me, today is dragging. Roll on 10pm.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby simon12 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Bellers will give everybody an idea of what it means. I on the other hand have just opened my first 1664 of an 8 pack before I head to the ground...Cheers to you all.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Vhero » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 pm

This will be big for them and mean a lot not just for us fans but for there world cup dreams also. An amazing game and you could get called up.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:54 pm

ant london wrote:Oh and one thing for all of you lucky enough to be at the swamp tonight

If they go ahead....even if they are ahead with 89 minutes gone.....all is not lost and you can make a difference.

Remember 1999

I'm buzzing so much it's ridiculous. I can feel "Dickov finish" in my bones. I reckon tonight will turn out to be a classic. One way or another.

quee 1-0 win for them and apathetic performance for us.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Return to The Maine Football forum