Given

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Given

Postby Mr Miyagi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:20 pm

ant london wrote:He points to the fact that no top top club ever came in for Shay and the fact that all the defences he's played behind have "looked poor" (rather than actually being that poor) due to the jitteriness his weaknesses engender.

I can reveal the podcast is actually me putting on his accent....
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby salford city » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:32 pm

I think that we all see what is his ONLY real weakness. We are going to have to work harder to stop the balls coming in and for that, we are going to have to change the full-backs.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby dazby » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Friedel at Blackburn- Blackburn are good.

Friedel leaves- they are not so good.

Friedel goes to Villa- Villa get better.

Friedel comes out for crosses.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:34 pm

No point in starting a new thread but obviously this is pretty relevant.

Another experienced coach puts Shay in the top five goalkeepers on the planet and right alongside Buffon - that's trappatoni, mancini and mancini's goalkeeping coach.

They're not all wrong.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/February/Shay-Given-praised-by-Massimo-Battara
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm

shortagain wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I don't think there is any doubt that Shay is a top keeper and isn't alone in being iffy at best at coming off his line for crosses but for me last night it was the first goal that concerned me most.

When a team makes a fast break from deep it's essential that the keeper has a high starting position and potentially acts as sweeper. When Shrek got the ball around the half way line and hit it over to Giggs , Given should have been roughly penalty spot if not a little further to anticipate the long through ball. Giggs first touch wasn't great and the ball ran well into the area and Given for me should have been able to pick it up easily but he came late from his line and the rest is history even if it did need a big slice of luck.

Yes he made some fantastic saves but that first goal was always going to be massive and I thought he simply got it wrong on this occasion.He has won games and points for us before but that one last night hurt.

Agreed Doug, in fact if he had been 1/2 yard quicker, he could have smothered the ball & as you say, the rest is history

I don't even think it was a matter of pace but just his starting position. If that had been right he would have said thank you very much and launched City back on the attack.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue2 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Original Dub wrote:No point in starting a new thread but obviously this is pretty relevant.

Another experienced coach puts Shay in the top five goalkeepers on the planet and right alongside Buffon - that's trappatoni, mancini and mancini's goalkeeping coach.

They're not all wrong.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2010/February/Shay-Given-praised-by-Massimo-Battara

No bias though?

So the Irish manager, his team manager and his coach think he is in the top 5, they would say that wouldn't they.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:No point in starting a new thread but obviously this is pretty relevant.

They're not all wrong.

No bias though?

So the Irish manager, his team manager and his coach think he is in the top 5.

Mancini never said he considered any of his other players to be in the top five in world football. Niether did Trappatoni.

Because if they did they would be laughed at - they have to actually mean it.

So no, not bias.
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:30 pm

Given being top banana at shot stopping yet iffy on crosses reminds me of a certain ex-City Keeper. Mr David James. I'm more confident watching Given in goal than Jamer, though.

Man Ure had obviously done their homework if they were knocking high balls in to the box. Just something extra to work on in training for the defence to try and stop happening against such sides. That was such an important Match.

I'd like to see Hart back next season because I think he can learn alot from a Goalie like Given - but whether he'll want to come back now Birmingham are having a fair season with him as Number 1 is open for debate.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum