Breaking SSN Adam Johnson bid...& Moses news

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Breaking SSN Adam Johnson bid...& Moses news

Postby Manx Blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 pm

From the Northern Echo

GORDON STRACHAN has told Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson he wants Adam Johnson to stay for the remainder of the season, despite learning the winger wants to talk over a possible move to Manchester City.

And while trying to fend off the attentions of the world’s richest club, Strachan is close to reaching an agreement with Celtic for striker Scott McDonald over a £3.5m move.

Wolves, Everton and Sunderland are among clubs interested in Johnson, but City’s initial £5m offer has turned the head of the 22-year-old.

Despite their wealth City will be unwilling to pay over the odds for a player whose contract expires in the summer.

But with time running out for Strachan to find a replacement, Middlesbrough are also determined to strike the best deal possible.

In an ideal world the former Celtic boss would convince the highly-sought after forward to stay on Teesside, but privately he accepts it will be difficult to keep Johnson out of the reaches of City.

“A perfect scenario for us is if he stays here,” said Strachan, who is due to have further discussions with Johnson today.

“I haven’t resigned myself to anything. I have not given up, no. The chairman and chief executive (Keith Lamb) know what I want.”

Further talks between the two clubs were expected last night, with the potential for Johnson to be loaned back to Middlesbrough until the end of the season if a fee can be agreed.

Such a move at this stage would appear unlikely, with City intent on adding further attacking options to a squad which has lost £32.5m Brazilian Robinho to Santos.

The Johnson saga is likely to gather pace before Monday’s 5pm deadline and Strachan added: “If Man Utd couldn’t turn down £80m (for Ronaldo) there is no club who can turn down the right money. Every club has their price for any player.

“I could come out with bold statements and say Adam is not for sale and he is away next week. That is just paying lip service saying this player or that player is not for sale. Everybody is for sale.

“We’ve had verbal offers in the last week for Adam but nothing has changed. He is still here and I would expect him to be still here for the last 19 games of the season.”

Middlesbrough are aware that Chelsea were ordered to pay City a performance related fee of £6.5m for striker Daniel Sturridge by a tribunal two weeks ago, with a 15 per cent sell-on clause.

That ruling strengthens Boro’s bargaining position if they sell the player. With that in mind Middlesbrough hope for a fee nearer £9m this month, although City would like to strike a deal for an initial £6m.

While Johnson’s displays on the left flank would be difficult to replace in three days, Strachan would welcome the cash after moving a step closer to signing his top striker target, Aussie forward McDonald.

player they rate in the £5m bracket after signing Danish forward Morten Rasmussen and Middlesbrough are hopeful talks with the 26-year-old will begin soon.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby svengali » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:45 am

SSN report that our offer is a substantial increase and Johnson is as keen as ever to speak to us today.
svengali
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 am

why would we sign a player who is out of contract at the end of the season, then loan him back? Do the papers really think we are twats or what?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby nickson71 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 am

Wooders wrote:why would we sign a player who is out of contract at the end of the season, then loan him back? Do the papers really think we are twats or what?

maybe that the only way we'd get the kid

Boro won't sell unless the kid stays on loan as he may be viewed as important to help them back into the prem.

If we want the player out right then Boro may just say he's not for sale and we'll take a chance with the tribual fee.

Once summer come then we may have a lot more cometion for the player doing the deal now even if we loan him back will make sure we get our man
nickson71
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Vhero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 am

I seriously hope we get Johnson I fucking love what we are building for the future we are gonna have an extremely strong side.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:03 am

Vhero wrote:I seriously hope we get Johnson I fucking love what we are building for the future we are gonna have an extremely strong side.

Johnson will be the future england left winger, no doubt. Fantastic talent.

I really hope he signs.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Vhero » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:05 am

Blue Blood wrote:
Vhero wrote:I seriously hope we get Johnson I fucking love what we are building for the future we are gonna have an extremely strong side.

I really hope he signs.

Agreed mate he's really lit up the championship this season and has probably been on every premiership teams radar. The reason nobody else has signed him is they are waiting until his contract runs out in Summer and I think that's why we are trying to push this through now.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 am

Vhero wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:

I really hope he signs.

Agreed mate he's really lit up the championship this season and has probably been on every premiership teams radar. The reason nobody else has signed him is they are waiting until his contract runs out in Summer and I think that's why we are trying to push this through now.

Exactly. If he goes out of contract i think we'd be competing with 6-7 prem clubs for his signature.

Also must be said he could come in and do a job for us now. Without Robbie we need another creative option in the team.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum