In order to learn how to win .....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

In order to learn how to win .....

Postby lythamblue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:43 am

...... you have to learn how to lose first!!

Chill out, we will have learn't a lot from tonight. Winning trophies is not all about just having good players, it's all about how to turn round big games when you need to, and although it bugs me to say it ..... that's what manyoo know how to do in abundance.

It comes from experience and it comes from being in that situation many times before. I've said on here previously, that we will lose a few semis and even finals before we finally work out what it takes, and how to win one.

Then ..... winning a League Championship is another kettle of fish altogether. Again, we will have to fail in a few run ins, just like Arse, Chelski and even B'Burn did before they eventually won one.

It's all about the 'winning' experience. There will now be many big games for us to compete in. Tonight was just one of the first steps we have taken along that process and will serve us in good stead.

As Mancini would say ...... IT'S NORMAL!!!
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: In order to learn how to win .....

Postby Kladze » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:48 am

It eesa futbal.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:55 am

Sorry Lytham but I disagree.
Tonight was a different kettle of fish mate. A semi final against the rags defies the usual rules.

I think if you look at our squad, we have enough winners who have been through the process already and some of those who haven't, are experienced enough to know how to win.
I think there was a lot more than football going on on the pitch tonight and it was some of the extra stuff and not the football that defeated us.
I don't suggest that we become successful by punching our opponents, nor crippling them...and if we ever need to bottle opposing players at eastlands to gain victories...I'll give up.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby lythamblue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

john68 wrote:Sorry Lytham but I disagree.
Tonight was a different kettle of fish mate. A semi final against the rags defies the usual rules.

I think if you look at our squad, we have enough winners who have been through the process already and some of those who haven't, are experienced enough to know how to win.
I think there was a lot more than football going on on the pitch tonight and it was some of the extra stuff and not the football that defeated us.
I don't suggest that we become successful by punching our opponents, nor crippling them...and if we ever need to bottle opposing players at eastlands to gain victories...I'll give up.

No ..... but we do need to learn how to seize the moment and play the last five mins of a big game like your life depended on it!

Unfortunately, you can only learn things like that once you have failed to do so previously ..... and lost.

Next time you are in that situation ..... you remember what beat you and make sure you do it to them.

In other words .... you lean how to become winners and champions. Too many in our side have never been in that position.
Last edited by lythamblue on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

john68 wrote:Sorry Lytham but I disagree.

Yes, but those are the actions of a team in decline that are living on reputation.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 am

Lytham, I accept what you are saying mate and do agree to some extent. I do think that a full City side with its experienced players understand that and are experienced enough to achieve this year.
Ronk, I agree that they are the actions of a team in decline. In fact I think that the way they behaved proved that fact. They couldn't trust their ability to win the day...They will know that.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 am

Lytham,
You normally talk a lot of sense (and you've got a good username, nice place though I prefer Bispham) but when you say that "it comes from experience and from being in the situation before", bloody hell they WERE in that situation before, in September, losing 4-3 in the last minute same as tonight. You know that. Maybe City lost this cup-tie when Van Der Sar saved SWP's shot to put City 3-1 up in the first leg and then Mancini went defensive and failed to go for the kill, but with a minute to go in the 2nd leg you expect them to be able to hold on, get extra time, and wait for the breakaway when Stevie Ireland would play a little chip to put Bellamy or Tevez in on goal and win it.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:53 am

john68 wrote:Lytham, I accept what you are saying mate and do agree to some extent. I do think that a full City side with its experienced players understand that and are experienced enough to achieve this year.
Ronk, I agree that they are the actions of a team in decline. In fact I think that the way they behaved proved that fact. They couldn't trust their ability to win the day...They will know that.

They don't care though. They've done it many times before to teams like Arsenal. They get the job done one way or another. The best Arsenal & Chelsea teams have stood up to it & attacked & defended with composure but their lesser teams have folded like we did. We could have taken the sting out of the game by keeping the ball, then hit them on the break but we failed to do it with enough quality. It's one thing diving into tackles but it's another to keep concentration under pressure & to pass the ball properly; it requires a different kind of bottle which we don't yet have as a team.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 am

we brought it on ourselves by playing like gay Italians in the first leg. FACTLEMENT!
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby King Kev » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 am

To be fair I think City fans are experts at knowing how to lose!

We have had 34 years of practice!! We've served our time with regards to losing, it's time we started winning.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby viking the Odd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:11 am

King Kev wrote:To be fair I think City fans are experts at knowing how to lose!

We have had 34 years of practice!! We've served our time with regards to losing, it's time we started winning.

Could not of put it better, it almost made me laugh,well it did actualy, one day.one day.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 am

Personally I dont think we should despair too much. Not the team we'll have when we break the top for sure. Especially in defence where Richards has a chance, but not Kompany, not Boyata (yet maybe) and certainly not Garrido (my God).

I know that's the way football goes, but even without new buys we would've been a different prospect with Toure Lescott and Bridge all fit, and therefore I'm not too upset by our 'reserves'.

Just the way it goes, SCUM are lucky, always have been. There's the cheating Wio business, and also if Van Der Saar had still been out, those other goons in goal would've spilt 2 or 3 of our chances.

FA cup it is then.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby dick dastardley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:25 am

our defence last night was shite our midfielders didnt support our front line and with one or two lucky breaks the fuckin scumbags won,
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby david yearsley » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 am

It comes from experience and it comes from being in that situation many times before. I've said on here previously, that we will lose a few semis and even finals before we finally work out what it takes, and how to win one.

If thats the case then we´ve got a fuclin long wait and I for one don´t think the owners will hang around that long mate
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley

Postby Crossie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

Sorry Ted but you cant keep the ball then hit them on the break,

Hitting them on the break means a quick all fwd, often it ends up not being accurate.

Keeping the ball means they have time to organise defence, then we play it about abit until we feel the need to do something rash, and lose possession again
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Return to The Maine Football forum