Our Defence

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Our Defence

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:45 pm

It's not going to be a popular opinion I know, but I think the 'keeper needs improving, personnel wise, along with the defence.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:It's not going to be a popular opinion I know, but I think the 'keeper needs improving, personnel wise, along with the defence.

Yeah mate there's a few on here that agree with you that we should get rid of Given.

I'm amazed TBH because I don't feel he has cost us points and has actually gained us numerous points. IMO he is the best goalkeeper in the premier league, but its all about how we see the game I suppose.

GIVEN OUT! ;)
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 am

Original Dub wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:It's not going to be a popular opinion I know, but I think the 'keeper needs improving, personnel wise, along with the defence.

Yeah mate there's a few on here that agree with you that we should get rid of Given.

I'm amazed TBH because I don't feel he has cost us points and has actually gained us numerous points. IMO he is the best goalkeeper in the premier league, but its all about how we see the game I suppose.

GIVEN OUT! ;)

you'd have to admit tho that 2 of those 3 goals i'd have liked to see something more from him. they were just piss easy goals imho, especially the Carrick goal.

And the Rooney header? would Joe Hart have punched that ball and Rooney in the face? maybe.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby petrov » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:49 pm

sandman wrote:
petrov wrote:
sandman wrote:I think we need three new defenders and i'll tell you for why,

Bridge, Zabaleta, Sylvinho and Richards are not worthy of Champions League Football.

Lescott and Toure are now borderline.

Boyata has the potential.

Onouha is the man!!

Why exactly is Ned the man, thats 3 managers including Sven who haven't saw it in him thus far, why does everyone here rave about him? There has to be a reason we select those other inferior players ahead of him. Its its not ability is it 3 football professionals who don't know what they are doing?

Christ he's only 23, firstly he wont be at his prime age for 3 years plus he has a potential 15 years left as a player.

He's been a bit unlucky with injury and spent a fair amount of time either out of action or recovering, also early doors he had Dunne and Distin to fight off.

Onouha is class, he just needs the chance to show it, I bet you a Mars Bar he is a future Captain.

Micah is younger, has already proved himself although possibly regressed a tad since, yet he's not worthy of CL football but you say a 23 year old with potential whose obviously injury prone is. Lescott whose borderline England standard is not borderline CL standard but a player whose never had a look in is better than him. Toure has already got a prem winners medal, a CL finalist medal, surealy he hasn't regressed that much. How can you possibly say that.

Surely saying he's 23 and not at his prime for 3 years is contradicting yourself and saying that he's not good enough now but has potential. Your trying to state that he's better than international footballers with bags more experience and imho ability and class yet at the same time saying he's only 23 and has potential.
Richards is younger and has arguably more potential (and I really don't rate Micah) as is Boyota.

All I've seen from Ned is a handful of steady performances and than another injury, than returns spends a spell on the bench and repeats.
petrov
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby sandman » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:04 pm

petrov wrote:
sandman wrote:
petrov wrote:

Bridge, Zabaleta, Sylvinho and Richards are not worthy of Champions League Football.

Onouha is the man!!

Why exactly is Ned the man, thats 3 managers including Sven who haven't saw it in him thus far, why does everyone here rave about him? There has to be a reason we select those other inferior players ahead of him. Its its not ability is it 3 football professionals who don't know what they are doing?

Christ he's only 23, firstly he wont be at his prime age for 3 years plus he has a potential 15 years left as a player.

He's been a bit unlucky with injury and spent a fair amount of time either out of action or recovering, also early doors he had Dunne and Distin to fight off.

Onouha is class, he just needs the chance to show it, I bet you a Mars Bar he is a future Captain.

Micah is younger, has already proved himself although possibly regressed a tad since, yet he's not worthy of CL football but you say a 23 year old with potential whose obviously injury prone is. Lescott whose borderline England standard is not borderline CL standard but a player whose never had a look in is better than him. Toure has already got a prem winners medal, a CL finalist medal, surealy he hasn't regressed that much. How can you possibly say that.

Surely saying he's 23 and not at his prime for 3 years is contradicting yourself and saying that he's not good enough now but has potential. Your trying to state that he's better than international footballers with bags more experience and imho ability and class yet at the same time saying he's only 23 and has potential.
Richards is younger and has arguably more potential (and I really don't rate Micah) as is Boyota.

All I've seen from Ned is a handful of steady performances and than another injury, than returns spends a spell on the bench and repeats.

For me Micah hasnt proven anything, he looks fantastic against teams who cant attack, he's great going forward but he is a defender who cant defend, far too sloppy and slow at coming back (as with Glen Johnson), for example the season he was in the centre alongside Dunney, Dunney spent more time mopping up for the two than looking after his own area, yet when he goes on a blistering run he looks amazing, maybe he should be looking at moving to the Midfield.

Lescott and Toure arnt playing the way they have in the past, we wont win games on reputation, therefore not worthy of Champions League as it stands.

In saying Onouha is 23 and not at his prime for 3 years I am not contradicting myself because I have seen he is good enough now but has even more potential to improve, just because he is not at his prime doesnt mean he's not good enough now, I am saying he will be World Class in years to come. (Do not twist my words to mean something we both know did not say to suit your case!!)

I am not trying to state that he's better than international footballers with bags more experience, I am actually stating he's better than international footballers with bags more experience and I am saying he's good enough at 23 and has potential to get even better.

I believe Micah has reached the pinnacle of his potential, I havent noticed an improvement over the last two years, Onouha is young and fit enough to get over his injuries, he is such an intelligent player I honestly believe that he has more to come.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:40 pm

sandman wrote:
For me Micah hasnt proven anything, he looks fantastic against teams who cant attack, he's great going forward but he is a defender who cant defend, far too sloppy and slow at coming back (as with Glen Johnson), for example the season he was in the centre alongside Dunney, Dunney spent more time mopping up for the two than looking after his own area, yet when he goes on a blistering run he looks amazing, maybe he should be looking at moving to the Midfield.

Lescott and Toure arnt playing the way they have in the past, we wont win games on reputation, therefore not worthy of Champions League as it stands.

In saying Onouha is 23 and not at his prime for 3 years I am not contradicting myself because I have seen he is good enough now but has even more potential to improve, just because he is not at his prime doesnt mean he's not good enough now, I am saying he will be World Class in years to come. (Do not twist my words to mean something we both know did not say to suit your case!!)

I am not trying to state that he's better than international footballers with bags more experience, I am actually stating he's better than international footballers with bags more experience and I am saying he's good enough at 23 and has potential to get even better.

I believe Micah has reached the pinnacle of his potential, I havent noticed an improvement over the last two years, Onouha is young and fit enough to get over his injuries, he is such an intelligent player I honestly believe that he has more to come.

Without an avatar your defences are much weakened. You're basing your judgement on Micah using evidence mostly from Sven's era. It would be better to address his form at the moment. He's not perfect and his form did go through a dip but I actually think he's been playing very well. On Wednesday he mostly had Giggs neutralised, he tackled well and took that channel away from them.

I think he's addressed a few of his weaknesses and worked on his overall game. Much of the criticism directed at him is out of date and inappropriate. Yes, he's more of an attacking fullback than a defender but he's still done his job. Part of defending is not inviting pressure onto you by only ever defending, he really shouldn't be blamed for sometimes attacking.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Grob » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:13 pm

First chice defence is

Richards---Kompany---Lescott---Bridge

Backups

Zabaletta---Toure----Onuoha----Garrido

Vidal, Cunningham and Boyata pushing for those spots
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Grob wrote:First chice defence is

Richards---Kompany---Lescott---Bridge

Backups

Zabaletta---Toure----Onuoha----Garrido

Vidal, Cunningham and Boyata pushing for those spots

Looking at the players we have, it's not a bad defensive line up. We just need to get them to work together.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Colin the King » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:46 pm

It's not as easy I thought it would be to decide on a first choice back four. I'd argue that they're all of a similar quality- we have no world class defenders, but no completely rubbish ones. They're all either solid, top half Premier League players of ones with the potential to be better.

We're past the halfway stage now though and we really need continuity at the back. So, at a push, this is my first choice defence-

Richards- We talked about this in a thread a few weeks ago similar to this one, he's come in for a lot of criticism- some of it warranted- but I think people forget how young he is. Most players are breaking through and making the odd appearance at that stage in their career- he's already gone well past the 100 mark with us, with 11 England caps thrown in. When he broke through initially under Pearce, we were all really excited about his future and he seemed to go from strength to strength, and then he was unstoppable under Sven. He had an abysmal six months last season and that was it- "get rid, talentless waster" etc. Every young player will suffer a dip in form, it's inevitable. But he was improving by around February again and so far this season has been very good. Despite possibly losing a bit of pace since bulking up, he's still an awful lot quicker than most, he's a monster in the air, strong in the tackle, courageous. The natural attributes are there, so he just needs someone to help him through the tactical side of the game, and there can't be many better than Mancini for that job. I thought he was outstanding over the two legs against the filth, and has been for most of this season. With confidence back, he can return to that form we were all so exited about three or four years ago. I do like Zabaleta but he gives so many needless fouls away in key areas that he can be a liability. It's Micah at right back for me.

Kompany- Opinion is really split on Vinnie on this board. Some say he's better in midfield, others in defence and some reckon he's hopeless in both positions. Personally I think his long-term future is at centre-back. He's one of the few players in our backline who has a real footballing brain. He sees opportunities and closes them before they're allowed to materialise, he's excellent (for a defender) on the ball and deals with balls in the air with ease. Just needs to keep his hands by his side and stop tugging at shirts and giving away fouls (bit like Zabs in that respect) but I think he has all the attributes to take on the world. Another bargain, too. Since coming into the side this season I'd argue he's been our best defender. One or two errors of course, but I've been really pleased with his efforts.

Touré- He's won the Premier League and been in a European Cup final for a reason. On his day, one of the best in the business with pace, strength, excellent reading of the game and composure on the ball. His undoing towards the end of his time at Arsenal, and in his first six months here, have been lapses in concentration and what seems like poor communication. As our captain he needs to be more vocal and take control of situations. It's a tricky one because on form I'd argue he's comfortably our best defender and takes some beating, it's just a question of whether Mancini can erase the little mistakes and lapses. If so, he'll be an integral part of our success. For now, I think despite the problems, he's a better bet than Lescott, Ned or Boyata.

Bridge- Overall, I think he's been good. Slow start when he signed this time last year but he was improving and started this season in great shape. A poor game and a lambasting from Hansen on the BBC and all of a sudden he's public enemy number one. It's a strange one because I don't see any major weaknesses- he's quick, solid defensively and offers a genuine threat going forward. Doesn't stick the boot in as often as Zabs on the other side but a lot of the time his brain does the hard work- he doesn't need to lunge in because he's aware of what's in front of him and positions himself well. I just don't think a couple of bad games (in which everyone was shite, lest we forget) is enough to rule him out and I think, from a defensive point of view, he's one of the best full backs in England. It's a tricky position to find great players- the star names likes Lahm, Abidal, and going back a bit, Carlos, are/were appalling defensively. I want, first and foremost, defenders who can defend adequately and I really believe Bridge is one of the best in a relatively weak bunch. Garrido has done well in his few appearances since Mancini came in and is a player I rate, but I still think Bridge has the edge on him as an all-round player.

We have plenty of options and lots of versatility in our defenders with Micah and Ned both capable of playing either full back or centrally, Zabaleta pretty much anywhere on the pitch, Kompany in defence or midfield, and of course Boyata waiting in the wings too, who's been a revelation, but all things considered the above is my preference for our first choice back four.
Colin the King

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Socrates » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:35 am

petrov wrote:

Onouha is the man!!

If Sven didn't see anything in Ned then why did he pick him just about every game he was fit? Once he came into the side he didn't go out until his next injury.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:22 am

ronk wrote:
sandman wrote:

Without an avatar your defences are much weakened. You're basing your judgement on Micah using evidence mostly from Sven's era. It would be better to address his form at the moment. He's not perfect and his form did go through a dip but I actually think he's been playing very well. On Wednesday he mostly had Giggs neutralised, he tackled well and took that channel away from them.

I think he's addressed a few of his weaknesses and worked on his overall game. Much of the criticism directed at him is out of date and inappropriate. Yes, he's more of an attacking fullback than a defender but he's still done his job. Part of defending is not inviting pressure onto you by only ever defending, he really shouldn't be blamed for sometimes attacking.

I am more than happy to see players burst forward and I think he is incredible when he goes on his blistering runs, but he is a defender whos primary job is to defend, when he doesnt track back quick enough we are left exposed. I would be happy to see him on the bench but for me that is the best place for him and Bridge.
sandman

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41 am

Socrates wrote:
petrov wrote:

Onouha is the man!!

If Sven didn't see anything in Ned then why did he pick him just about every game he was fit? Once he came into the side he didn't go out until his next injury.

There's the problem though. He comes back, takes 4-5 games to get back to form, plays brilliantly, gets injured. Sooner or later he has to stay injury free or be treated as a full time squad player who fills in.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum