Gary Cook

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gary Cook

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Wake up guys!!! - just think of the location - just think about the plans for us to to a close season tour there - just think of the current profile of our club there - just think about what gets noticed there - just think how embarrassing it would be to go there and no one even shows interest (now that would be embarrassing) - just realise he was doing his job
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Mr Miyagi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:cook is out of his depth

Yep. And from what I've heard Khaldoon has realised this and considering letting him go in the summer.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Fish111 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I don't mind a good boast, just so long as it's a boast about what we have acheived rather than boasting about what we might achieve because until it's delivered you are asking for the piss to be taken out of you every time you get a knock back.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:59 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:cook is out of his depth

Yep. And from what I've heard Khaldoon has realised this and considering letting him go in the summer.

Flippin hell mate, you got your feet under the table or summat?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:44 pm

Someone has updated Gareth's wikipedia page. It'd almost be funny, if it wasn't so close to the truth. There is a link on the page which takes you through to the previous, real version. I hadn't realised he earned £1.5M last year. Yep, that's £29,000 per week to spout this tripe.

I feel like a broken record, but some of the things he has done have been great, but for god's sake, just stay out of the press with your 'we're going to be massive, we'll beat the Harlem Globetrotters, let's get rid of promotion' drivel

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... _Cook_(CEO)&oldid=333139069
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john68 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 am

Malcolm Allison said "We'll terrify Europe"...then we lost in the 1st round in Turkey...Shouls have sacked the bastard there and then.
Allison was always opening his big gob to big up City...What a twat he must have been. The previous year he'd been stupid to say that we'd win the league...Worra cock that Allison was.

WE SHOULD HAVE GOT RID OF HIM...HOW DARE ANYONE SHOUT IN PUBLIC HOW GOOD WE ARE.

YOU BUNCH OF FUCKING FRIIGHTENED DRAMA QUEENS.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 am

john68 wrote:Malcolm Allison said "We'll terrify Europe"...then we lost in the 1st round in Turkey...Shouls have sacked the bastard there and then.
Allison was always opening his big gob to big up City...What a twat he must have been. The previous year he'd been stupid to say that we'd win the league...Worra cock that Allison was.

WE SHOULD HAVE GOT RID OF HIM...HOW DARE ANYONE SHOUT IN PUBLIC HOW GOOD WE ARE.

What have we won, John?

The really great don't need to say how wonderful they are. Their actions make it clear.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:32 am

john68 wrote:Malcolm Allison said "We'll terrify Europe"...then we lost in the 1st round in Turkey...Shouls have sacked the bastard there and then.

That's the point, we aren't as good as he makes us out to be. At least not yet. We are definitely there to try and break into top four but after having some time to think about the League Cup semi's, I realised how far away we still are. Thing is, people have been trying to find out weaknessess in tactics and individual mistakes or whatever but I honestly think we did our best and our best just wasn't good enough.

So until our best IS good enough over two legs against top team we'd better just keep it quiet and wait and see what happens.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:07 am

i find it so odd that people are so upset about our CEO big upping us...what the fucl's wrong with that guys? come on. sure, he's tempting fate, and a fucktard like Fletcher can talk all day long about how we're motivating them to beat us, but the point is...it's fucking serious now. We're a club that the best in the world have to take very seriously to beat, and we're only getting started. I don't mind taking a deep breath and thinking that it feels pretty good to know that.

The journey getting there will be just as much fun as the actual thing itself once we win something. i know that for a fact from waiting from the time i was about 11 years old until i was almost 40 to see my beloved Pittsburgh Steelers win another Super Bowl. It was a long long wait with a lot of close calls and opportunities in between, and lots of shit performances as well, but once we got back and won it once we did it again a few years later, and it's fantastic. it made all those years of waiting worthwhile.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:38 am

Really do not understand why fans on here that repeatedly demonstrate that they are knowledgeable about football but cannot grasp the issues of business expansion, marketing and media management - and the fact that these areas are managed within the club separate to 'on the pitch' matters

All this Allison said this etc is targeting the wrong guy - Allison was our coach

You all seem to crow about how big we are going to be - you all seem to luxuriate in the money we have and the shit others are in etc - but...

You all seem to think that becoming global - growing revenues in emerging markets - growing sponsorship etc etc - comes from just waking up one day and it just happened - news lads - it does not - it takes great planning and a lot of hard work over years

In 2010 - all football matters at our club are under the control of a chap called Mancini - if he was to walk around saying these things the comments on here would be sound

Cook is not the coach - what his responsibilities are if to grow our market overseas - might be a shock to some of you but we are actually not that famous!! - In USA we might as well be Torquay United. Now just think of his challenge:

"Gary - organise a tour of USA to increase our global expansion - make sure that we get lots interest - attract merchandise sales and line up sponsorships - oh and btw, please be conservative in what you mention because the fans back home still get a bit windy if you put horizons beyond mid table - so try to work up a campaign that gets the bandwagon rolling based on our League Cup triumph of 1976 - lots of images of the overhead kick should do it - oh and also Nicky running around Wembley in 1999 - those foreigners wont understand that it was 3rd tier football - just Wembley to them...."

Guys - WAKE UP AND GET RID OF THE SMALL CITY MENTALITY

Btw - could it just be more of the need we seem to have to get the knife into someone - happens a lot - and probably Gary's turn.

Could just imagine the posts on here if he kept his gob shut and we go out to USA and are thoroughly embarrassed in the UK papers as they take the piss out of the fact that we had small reception - low levels of interest - constant comparisons with the scum tour - do you think you lot would be posting things like - "yeah but that is OK - I would rather this than if he was to big the club up before we have won 3 trophies..." would you fuck
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am

JUST YOU LOT WAIT TILL YOU GET YOUR WISH AND COOK GOES AND WE END UP WITH UBER RAG FUCKING KENYON.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Scatman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 am

Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby viking the Odd » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:26 am

I would have to agree, that the time to start shouting,bragging,etc,comes when we win somthing,not before, But it's cook's job to promote the club, no publicity is bad publicity in his book, and I believe he is doing a good job, he just needs to learn when,and when not to speak.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:56 am

Scatman wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/29/manchester-city-garry-cook-sheikh-mansour

Yeah - as if any rag biased paper knows what the Sheik thinks - bet he has them in to provide him with counsel all the time - more lazy / anti city media
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby london blue 2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:EVERY FUCKING TIME someone, anyone, from the Club comes with these retarded "we are going to be MEGA in future" comments we end up losing the next fucking game. Without an exception. The writing was on the wall.

I'd prefer EVERYONE to just SHUT THE FUCK UP and bring cup of some sort home. THEN you can start mouthing off.

100% agree. same a few seasons back under Pearce, we'd win a game then people started talking about Europe and straight after we'd lose to some fucking shite relegation club. Wish everyone involved with the club would just shut the fuck up till we've actually won something!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby ant london » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 am

london blue 2 wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:EVERY FUCKING TIME someone, anyone, from the Club comes with these retarded "we are going to be MEGA in future" comments we end up losing the next fucking game. Without an exception. The writing was on the wall.

I'd prefer EVERYONE to just SHUT THE FUCK UP and bring cup of some sort home. THEN you can start mouthing off.

100% agree. same a few seasons back under Pearce, we'd win a game then people started talking about Europe and straight after we'd lose to some fucking shite relegation club. Wish everyone involved with the club would just shut the fuck up till we've actually won something!

Pah you just wait til we demolish Pompey and prove our Champions League credentials and the fact that we are, indeed, MASSIVE
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:31 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Scatman wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/29/manchester-city-garry-cook-sheikh-mansour

Yeah - as if any rag biased paper knows what the Sheik thinks - bet he has them in to provide him with counsel all the time - more lazy / anti city media

Quotes in that article = 0

The lazy cunt has just been on a forum and is trying to stir it because he knows its an issue for some city fans. Easy story really, with 0 foundation
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby mcfc1632 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 am

london blue 2 wrote:

...that approach only works if we are happy to stay for ever more a team of the stature we were under Pearce

All about opinions - everyone is entitled to their opinion - I just think people on this thread are still just 'venting' being pissed off about Wednesday - If people want to lay blame for losing the semi-final - look into the tactics of the 1st leg - or just put it down to coming out on the wrong side of a good match

How is the football Cook's fault - if Mancini arrives in the USA for a pre-season tour and there is no visibility of our club - no warming up of the media etc - would you blame Mancini - of course not.

People just want to attack someone after Wednesday and Cook seems the latest target - easy target and I guess it makes people feel better

In my opinion, I think we need to separate on the field activities - Mancini's responsibilities - from promotion of the club and the transformation of some medium size club to the persona of a massive club - which in fact we have never been in the context of the modern game - our history in the 60's is about as relevant as the past histories of Bolton, Preston, Burnley etc

Do people really think that the most effective way to promote and grow our club - grow revenues / achieve profitability etc - against a plan of a few years only is to just sit on our hands until we have won 3 trophies..

The reality is that Cook has been very successful in all the aspects in which he should be measured - Turnover, profitability, business funnel and marketing - the club is talked about all the time now - the visibility on television is increasing all the time - yes the rag infested press still try to drag us down - but even some of them are changing their tune and trying to act like they always thought we would make it

These aspects are Cooks responsibility - so well done him

We just need Hughes before and Mancini now to do their bit by achieving a minimum level on the pitch - given the investment and support - again something Cook has been instrumental in - that should not be too much to ask for

People should vent about Wednesday all they like - but try the scum players, the timid ref, the CITY players or the manager(s) - why the head of business development??
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

...that approach only works if we are happy to stay for ever more a team of the stature we were under Pearce

All about opinions - everyone is entitled to their opinion - I just think people on this thread are still just 'venting' being pissed off about Wednesday - If people want to lay blame for losing the semi-final - look into the tactics of the 1st leg - or just put it down to coming out on the wrong side of a good match

How is the football Cook's fault - if Mancini arrives in the USA for a pre-season tour and there is no visibility of our club - no warming up of the media etc - would you blame Mancini - of course not.

People just want to attack someone after Wednesday and Cook seems the latest target - easy target and I guess it makes people feel better

In my opinion, I think we need to separate on the field activities - Mancini's responsibilities - from promotion of the club and the transformation of some medium size club to the persona of a massive club - which in fact we have never been in the context of the modern game - our history in the 60's is about as relevant as the past histories of Bolton, Preston, Burnley etc

Do people really think that the most effective way to promote and grow our club - grow revenues / achieve profitability etc - against a plan of a few years only is to just sit on our hands until we have won 3 trophies..

The reality is that Cook has been very successful in all the aspect in which he should be measured - Turnover, profitability, business funnel and marketing - the club is talked about all the time now - the visibility on television is increasing all the time - yes the rag infested press still try to drag us down - but even some of them are changing their tune and trying to act like they always thought we would make it

These aspects are Cooks responsibility - so well done him

We just need Hughes before and Mancini now to do their bit by achieving a minimum level on the pitch - given the investment and support - again something Cook has been instrumental in - that should not be too much to ask for

People should vent about Wednesday all they like - but try the scum players, the timid ref, the CITY players of the manager(s) - why the head of business development??

Oustanding post.

Well done.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 am

I didn't think much of Cook based on what was in the press. Then I met him when he came to New York. Everyone who met him that night left with more respect for the man. Sp maybe you shouldn't believe all you read in the papers.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum