Vieira

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vieira

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:49 pm

BobKowalski wrote:Ok have to ask why the Paddy hate?

We paid nothing for him so whats the problem? We paid for Bellers who was out injured after only 8 games last season and RSC is still unfit 6 months later and thats after shelling out £17m for him and you're whining about a 33 y/o on a free.

This is not a pop at Bellars or even RSC as we knew the problems with both before we signed them and with Bellars this season it has paid off so come on whats the real beef with Paddy?

And don't give me that failed medical crap. Players have been signed after failed medicals for like ever. Asa Hartford failed a medical in '71 for Leeds yet he turned out ok if I recall :)

why? because he's an old crocked man who couldn't get a match at Inter, and seems weeks away from playing for City, consistently.

that's why.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

We paid nothing for him so whats the problem? We paid for Bellers who was out injured after only 8 games last season and RSC is still unfit 6 months later and thats after shelling out £17m for him and you're whining about a 33 y/o on a free.

This is not a pop at Bellars or even RSC as we knew the problems with both before we signed them and with Bellars this season it has paid off so come on whats the real beef with Paddy?

And don't give me that failed medical crap. Players have been signed after failed medicals for like ever. Asa Hartford failed a medical in '71 for Leeds yet he turned out ok if I recall :)

why? because he's an old crocked man who couldn't get a match at Inter, and seems weeks away from playing for City, consistently.

that's why.

cheers

Except that he did actually pick up the injury playing for Inter the week before he joined.

And like me you have no real idea as to how effective Paddy will or will not be in his 6 months here but f**k it he has been here 3 weeks so lets shit on him anyway I mean he cost us £10 mill after all - and yeah I do remember you guys frothing yourselves into a frenzy over that as well.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby edge275 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:03 pm

He's definitely a shrewd acquisition in my book.

Plus he has a 14" pork sword.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:07 pm

edge275 wrote:He's definitely a shrewd acquisition in my book.

A shrewd acquisition??!

wiat until he actually plays a game for us mate.
Original Dub

Postby edge275 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:09 pm

Original Dub wrote:

A shrewd acquisition??!

Did you think Given was a shrewd acquisition when he signed? Or did you wait until he's played a few games for us first?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Wooders » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:14 pm

edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

A shrewd acquisition??!

Did you think Given was a shrewd acquisition when he signed? Or did you wait until he's played a few games for us first?

Its not the same though, there would have been definate question marks over Given if he was in the twilight of his career
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby eastlandsblue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:00 pm

Do we really need him for Sunday NO. But it would be nice if he's fit for stoke away, when will probably need him more
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:02 pm

edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

A shrewd acquisition??!

I knew Given inside out when he signed because I watched every single game he has ever played for Ireland. Also he was coming into the peak age for goalkeepers at the time.

£7m for currently one of the best keepers in world football.

You're damn right I knew it was a shrewd acquisition before he played a game for us.

Vieira I thought was struggling in his last season in the prem and that was 5 years ago. I hope he proves me wrong, but to say he's a shrewd acqusition when the only connection we have with him so far is that we've handed him 100s of thousands of pounds to scratching that 14" pork sword you refer to is a bit premature.
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

that's why.

cheers

Except that he did actually pick up the injury playing for Inter the week before he joined.

And like me you have no real idea as to how effective Paddy will or will not be in his 6 months here but f**k it he has been here 3 weeks so lets shit on him anyway I mean he cost us £10 mill after all - and yeah I do remember you guys frothing yourselves into a frenzy over that as well.

yr responding to me personally with a bunch of "you guys" bullshit. as i said in my post above...maybe he will do something, but i'm not holding out for anything special. That's not shitting all over him, is it?

also, when i froth myself into a frenzy you will know it...and ill give you a sponge to clean up with after.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

A shrewd acquisition??!

I knew Given inside out when he signed because I watched every single game he has ever played for Ireland. Also he was coming into the peak age for goalkeepers at the time.

You're damn right I knew it was a shrewd acquisition before he played a game for us.

Vieira I thought was struggling in his last season in the prem and that was 5 years ago. I hope he proves me wrong, but to say he's a shrewd acqusition when the only connection we have with him so far is that we've handed him 100s of thousands of pounds to scratching that 14" pork sword you refer to is a bit premature.

You really didn't want him here did you? :)

Which is fair enough but I still can't get worked up over a 6 month free transfer signing. Personally I am more concerned about Wenger's 'golden oldie' putting one over on taggart on Sunday then I am about Paddy and whether he is fit or not for Portsmouth.
BobKowalski

Postby Blueboylewis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:24 pm

We cant really say it is a joke!

I think this is a sign of people just getting impatient and wanting him to play as soon as possible.

But we want him fully fit and if it has taken this long and maybe it will take longer but we just have to be patient.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:43 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

A shrewd acquisition??!

You really didn't want him here did you? :)

Which is fair enough but I still can't get worked up over a 6 month free transfer signing. Personally I am more concerned about Wenger's 'golden oldie' putting one over on taggart on Sunday then I am about Paddy and whether he is fit or not for Portsmouth.

No I hope he proves me wrong is what I said chief... but to call him a "shrewd acquisition" when he hasn't kicked a ball is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here for quite some time.

Of course I want him to succeed, but Edge basically said he's been impressed with him so far. Has he impressed you so far?
Original Dub

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:
No I hope he proves me wrong is what I said chief... but to call him a "shrewd acquisition" when he hasn't kicked a ball is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here for quite some time.

Of course I want him to succeed, but Edge basically said he's been impressed with him so far. Has he impressed you so far?

I will wait until he has played a few games before passing judgement. For me Paddy is a low risk gamble and one worth taking if he can help on and off the pitch in terms of leadership and presence for the rest of the season. And if he doesn't work out then he leaves in the summer. Its not as if we have a Danny Mills situation or even a RSC or Bellers situation where we have shelled out long term contracts potentially beyond a players usefulness - something Bellers himself has acknowledged given the state of his knees.

I like the idea that we are starting to see some rationality in the way we do business. Paddy is low risk and zero long term commitment. We address the Robbie issue and get Santos to foot the bill and best of all a management team now looking to get the best out of what we have and assessing where we stand player wise with no mad dash (so far) into the transfer market and stockpiling yet more players.

Maybe I just like what I see so far and for the first time in what seems an age I have nothing to complain about. Its a weird feeling but I like it :)
BobKowalski

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 pm

Someone said 25K for not playing was a bonus? Lucky me!!!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum