Analysis of the Rooney Goal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Analysis of the Rooney Goal

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:24 am

Given Save
Just before the goal, Boyata completely lost Fletcher who brought a great save from Given. Fletcher was just standing at the near post where no body picked him up.

BUT LOOK IN THE MIDDLE. Rooney completely unmarked in the six yard box. You cannot say we were not warned! Richards and Zabaleta were caught on the wrong side completely. Ireland is marking nobody and Kompany was in a bad position afer as he was beaten as the near post blocker.

Corner Positions

This is the starting positions for the corner kick. Loads around Rooney, three left unmarked but the team very much defending the 6 yard line. One on the back post and two as near post blockers. Zabaleta, Ireland and Richards look like they are to look afer the loose United players.

I can't see anything wrong myself in this zonal set up for the corner kick.

Coming out Positions
Now the corner has been played short and the players are re-positioning as they run out. We have 5 defenders picking up the penalty spot. De Jong on the back post races out right past Rooney and continues a few yards ahead of him.

As Giggs swings a very good ball into the box, United players from deep start running at speed into the 6 yard box. City defenders stay static where they were looking to do a standing jump but the ball has too much swerve on it and goes deeper into the penalty area.

Final Position

Now the City and United players are in equal numbers on the six yard line. Boyata is challenging the United player (Fletcher again) to win the header, both miss it.

Barry, De jong and Kompany are all caught in the same position ahead of Boyata and effectively out of the game completely. Only Barry needed to be there as the near post blocker. De jong and Kompany are at fault here. Richards has stayed out to mark a United player as he didn't run in.

Zabaleta didn't run back to the far post, only Ireland tracked back but he was caught napping too and ended up the wrong side. If rooney had missed it the other United player would have scored at the far post.

In conclusion..
  • Boyata did his job, just missed the ball,
  • Ireland got caught napping slightly
  • Richards did his job
  • Zabaleta didn't bother moving
  • De Jong ran right past Rooney and out of the game and is at fault
  • Barry did his job as near post blocker
  • Kompany was no where near anybody and is my main culprit

The Given Decision
There's debate about whether Given should have come for the ball as it was only 7 yards out. There are good reasons for both trains of thought. Personally I think the ball was too good and quickly whipped in for him to make a call to come. Also look at how quickly the balls dips from this screenshot. Given would have needed to take out Boyata and Fletcher with a punch which would have been just as risky as staying on the line.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: Analysis of the Rooney Goal

Postby 13021J » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am

Good analysis. My thoughts are that zonal seems to work on a bog standard ball straight into the box corner, we have at least 2 or three defenders attacking the ball which is great. But as teams observe this they come up with cunning plans (Scunny, Rags) that involve short corner routines to exploit us. Should come as no great surprise.

I agree with the Given section, ball was too fast and dipping to be dealt with by the keeper.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 am

Id have saved that piece of shit header it was right down the throat.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:06 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:Id have saved that piece of shit header it was right down the throat.

thank you. about time someone said it.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:Id have saved that piece of shit header it was right down the throat.

thank you. about time someone said it.

cheers

Its true though,nobody has mentioned that Shay stood rooted and did jack shit.

He could have put anything in front of it and saved it,the defenders fooked up and let a free header come in but Shay's reactions were facking gash.

This is my first bad point for Shay all year,but it needs to be said.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Mr Miyagi » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:17 pm

Wow.. a lot of effort has gone into that....

But it just confirms to me that Given should have contested the ball. The fact it was whipped in towards him only strengthens my opinion.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby lets all have a disco » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:41 pm

He's a coont of the highest order but i bet 10000000000000% VDS would have had his fist on that cross so quickly and the game would have gone into extra time.
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby david yearsley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:05 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:He's a coont of the highest order but i bet 10000000000000% VDS would have had his fist on that cross so quickly and the game would have gone into extra time.

As , dare I say it, would have a certain Mr. J. Hart
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:05 pm

How about some analysis of the cross? I've noticed that if the other team take something short, or look like doing, the near post man runs across and the far post man runs to the near post, someoen else coming in behind (hopefully).

This seems long-winded to me, and even if it didn't happen in this case, the pictures dont show a lot of desperate defending by the two City closing players.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

david yearsley wrote:
lets all have a disco wrote:He's a coont of the highest order but i bet 10000000000000% VDS would have had his fist on that cross so quickly and the game would have gone into extra time.

As , dare I say it, would have a certain Mr. J. Hart

i dont think hart wouldve i think hes similar to given and would of been rooted too, james now on the other hand would of got somethin on it.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:12 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Given Save
Just before the goal, Boyata completely lost Fletcher who brought a great save from Given. Fletcher was just standing at the near post where no body picked him up.

BUT LOOK IN THE MIDDLE. Rooney completely unmarked in the six yard box. You cannot say we were not warned! Richards and Zabaleta were caught on the wrong side completely. Ireland is marking nobody and Kompany was in a bad position afer as he was beaten as the near post blocker.

Corner Positions

This is the starting positions for the corner kick. Loads around Rooney, three left unmarked but the team very much defending the 6 yard line. One on the back post and two as near post blockers. Zabaleta, Ireland and Richards look like they are to look afer the loose U***d players.

I can't see anything wrong myself in this zonal set up for the corner kick.

Coming out Positions
Now the corner has been played short and the players are re-positioning as they run out. We have 5 defenders picking up the penalty spot. De Jong on the back post races out right past Rooney and continues a few yards ahead of him.

As Giggs swings a very good ball into the box, U***d players from deep start running at speed into the 6 yard box. City defenders stay static where they were looking to do a standing jump but the ball has too much swerve on it and goes deeper into the penalty area.

Final Position

Now the City and U***d players are in equal numbers on the six yard line. Boyata is challenging the U***d player (Fletcher again) to win the header, both miss it.

Barry, De jong and Kompany are all caught in the same position ahead of Boyata and effectively out of the game completely. Only Barry needed to be there as the near post blocker. De jong and Kompany are at fault here. Richards has stayed out to mark a U***d player as he didn't run in.

Zabaleta didn't run back to the far post, only Ireland tracked back but he was caught napping too and ended up the wrong side. If rooney had missed it the other U***d player would have scored at the far post.

In conclusion..
  • Boyata did his job, just missed the ball,
  • Ireland got caught napping slightly
  • Richards did his job
  • Zabaleta didn't bother moving
  • De Jong ran right past Rooney and out of the game and is at fault
  • Barry did his job as near post blocker
  • Kompany was no where near anybody and is my main culprit

The Given Decision
There's debate about whether Given should have come for the ball as it was only 7 yards out. There are good reasons for both trains of thought. Personally I think the ball was too good and quickly whipped in for him to make a call to come. Also look at how quickly the balls dips from this screenshot. Given would have needed to take out Boyata and Fletcher with a punch which would have been just as risky as staying on the line.

GREAT ANALISIS THERE MATE AND I CANNOT FAULT YOUR SUMMARY.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby david yearsley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Sorry but Hart comes off his line far more than Given - have you watched Brum lately ? Even at City he came out sometimes flapping due to inexperience but I think he´s much more confident in his decision making these days - just my opinion mate
david yearsley

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:18 pm

david yearsley wrote:Sorry but Hart comes off his line far more than Given - have you watched Brum lately ? Even at City he came out sometimes flapping due to inexperience but I think he´s much more confident in his decision making these days - just my opinion mate

ive watched brum a bit and everytme he comes hes in no mans land(well maybe not everytime)!!! But your right hes more confident now and he will come back better for it, whether he will be better than given unlikely but i hope so.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby crossan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Given has made some vital saves for us since he came to the club,you cannot really fault him on the goal, it was a pinpoint cross onto one of the worlds great strikers end of,we gave them a run for their money over the 2 legs and we have shown that we are a real force,we just need to tighten up a bit at the back,Mancini will sort it.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby david yearsley » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Having just watched everything back again nothing will ever convince me that the Bellers incident wasn´t the turning point of the whole tie - ok we should have cleared the ball out of the box but had not Barry taken the corner he would surely have picked up the ginger pig on the edge of the box - the sense of injustice and anger is really only beginning to kick in - too late now of course but one is left with that feeling that crime "does" pay
david yearsley

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Good analysis but we already had a zonal defending thread where I for one have already said exactly the same thing.

The other question though is why does this happen? The excuse for it when Hughes was here was that we don't practice enough but seeing as we now practice it all the time, why do they forget how to do it?

Pressure & panic has a role v teams like rags but that doesn't excuse the defending v Scunthorpe. Imo, apart from the fact that one or two of the defenders simply aren't good enough (Zabba etc) I recon it's because defenders often take a few seasons to gel together & learn how to operate as a top class unit as does the rest of the team. If it happens quicker then it's credit to the manager but individual mistakes often happen, you can't make players think; they learn it for themselves, often from making those very mistakes. Hughes was ridiculously sacked purely because of it but hopefully they'll let Mancini have time to sort it out.

The last time our 1st choice defence was together was the best defensive performance of the season v Chelsea though, where we looked like a top 4 team defensively, so it may not be as far away as it looks right now.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:07 pm

Fantastic analysis mate!

It really does show exactly where the defenders went wrong and the only reason I didn't know whether it was Shay's fault was because I didn't have a full understanding of zonal marking. But anything anyone has said just re-affirms the fact Rooney was left standing with no defender close to him and that in no way was the goalkeeper's fault.

SHAY IN!
Original Dub

Postby edge275 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Original Dub wrote:Fantastic analysis mate!

It really does show exactly where the defenders went wrong and the only reason I didn't know whether it was Shay's fault was because I didn't have a full understanding of zonal marking. But anything anyone has said just re-affirms the fact Rooney was left standing with no defender close to him and that in no way was the goalkeeper's fault.

SHAY IN!

Would you have Buffon over Shay?
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:15 pm

edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Fantastic analysis mate!

SHAY IN!

Would you have Buffon over Shay?

I haven't a fucking clue mate. So many top players come to the prem and they aren't as good as they once were, even world cup winning goalkeepers.

To be honest, I don't think there would be a massive difference to our defence. A keeper can only do so much. Buffon is world class, but he'd struggle with a defence that changes constantly, has two managers in one season and is in the preocess of learning zonal marking.

I've no problem knowing Shay is world class, but he needs a settled defence in front of him. They know where he's going to be at all times and if they do their job, we should be fine. I've seen him behind a settled defence for Ireland and we've played top quality opposition including France and Italy recently and we looked solid as fuck.

Also, when roberto Mancini and Giovanni Trappatoni say he's the best goalkeeper they've ever worked with, I have to agree.

So yes, I'd like Buffon in goal. Or Shay. Most of all, I want a defence with continuity and total understanding.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:35 pm

I said it from the very beginning in the match rating thread, I was shocked to see people giving Kompany 9's and whatever when he was clearly at fault for the goal.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum