Are You Happy About Todays Game?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

are you happy about Portsmouth game?

Yes
59%
No
27%
Not sure
14%

Total votes : 129

Re: Are You Happy About Todays Game?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Hey NQDP - you started something similar after the slightly negative feel a lot of people had after the first leg of the semi. Surely you understand now why people weren't jumping up and down and celebrating a "fantastic derby win" and didn't automatically hold a "special place in their heart" for Mancini?

I don't expect people to have "special place in their heart" for Robbie Manc but I would think that people are happy when we win.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
salford city wrote:Jaysus, you can't please everyone can you. We come off from probably the biggest disappointing result in years and take three points in the next game.

There lies the difference. Many people on here seem to think that it's a good thing we turned in one of our worst performances for years, with almost all of our best attacking players available & won. I think a genuine top side would respond to Wednesday's defeat by giving the worst side in the PL the biggest thrashing they've ever had, improving the goal difference & proving they have what it takes to bridge the gap between themselves & the rags in the near future.

Well a genuine top side may have attempted to give the worst side in the PL a thrashing but you can bet your life that a top side would first and foremost ensure they won.

And we 'ensured we won' by strolling round the pitch, handing what should have been a two goal start to the oppo & passing the ball like Bolton? I thought we were just shit but if as you're suggesting; playing like that was a tactical decision, it's much worse than I thought.

Yes. That is what I said. Mancini told the players to play like shit, score 2 goals and continue playing like shit.

If all you want to do is derive pure misery from the game yesterday then go ahead.

That's all I got from it. Pure misery. I found it one of the most disappointing games for years & hated every single minute of it. I wish I had'nt seen it because it made Wednesday's result feel worse rather than better. I can't wait for a (hopefully) good victory in the next game to give me back the hope that we're going to challenge for the top 4.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
Hey NQDP - you started something similar after the slightly negative feel a lot of people had after the first leg of the semi. Surely you understand now why people weren't jumping up and down and celebrating a "fantastic derby win" and didn't automatically hold a "special place in their heart" for Mancini?

I don't expect people to have "special place in their heart" for Robbie Manc but I would think that people are happy when we win.

Apologies mate, maybe it wasn't you that said that in the Mancini thread after we won the first leg, but someone said "Any city manager that wins the derby has a special place in my heart" or something similar...

The thing is, we didn't win a derby IMO, we were winning at half time. Anyway, my point is that I was a bit worried about how we approached that leg and I said so afterwards and you were "baffled" then. I explained that day that although I was happy we won that game, I thought we should have gone for it and not been so cautious from the start because I thought it would come back to haunt us. In fact, we had a row that day because you felt I had an agenda against Mancini for saying such things.... and we went to old trafford and they knocked us out.

Back to the original point though, I like winning and I'm DELIGHTED with today's result. But you asked if I was happy with the game itself and in no way was I happy with the game.

I'm just delighted I didn't pick this game as one of the 4 games I get to every season, because it was horrible to watch.

Actually, now that I think of it... someone else said they weren't happy with the game - Roberto Mancini!

Which should put this argument to rest and also it gives me hope because if he's not happy with the game itself, then it means he doesn't like that style of football and neither do I!
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:07 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Apologies mate, maybe it wasn't you that said that in the Mancini thread after we won the first leg, but someone said "Any city manager that wins the derby has a special place in my heart" or something similar...
The thing is, we didn't win a derby IMO, we were winning at half time. Anyway, my point is that I was a bit worried about how we approached that leg and I said so afterwards and you were "baffled" then. I explained that day that although I was happy we won that game, I thought we should have gone for it and not been so cautious from the start because I thought it would come back to haunt us. In fact, we had a row that day because you felt I had an agenda against Mancini for saying such things.... and we went to old trafford and they knocked us out.

Back to the original point though, I like winning and I'm DELIGHTED with today's result. But you asked if I was happy with the game itself and in no way was I happy with the game.

I'm just delighted I didn't pick this game as one of the 4 games I get to every season, because it was horrible to watch.

Actually, now that I think of it... someone else said they weren't happy with the game - Roberto Mancini!

Which should put this argument to rest and also it gives me hope because if he's not happy with the game itself, then it means he doesn't like that style of football and neither do I!

No, that was me! But I don't expect everyone to start giving him rim jobs like me.

But overall, I was just surprised about the amount of moaning after yesterdays win, in where I didn't think Portsmouth stood any chance at any stage. Routine performance and I'm delighted that these days our routine performance means we are beating shit teams.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Svensational wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:No, that was me! But I don't expect everyone to start giving him rim jobs like me.

But overall, I was just surprised about the amount of moaning after yesterdays win, in where I didn't think Portsmouth stood any chance at any stage. Routine performance and I'm delighted that these days our routine performance means we are beating shit teams.

You must of watched a different game mate. Pompey had chance after chance for a 10-15minute stint in the 2nd half! As well as hitting the bar in the 1st and then Webber totally fluffing a shot in the 2nd. If they could finish we would of been 1 maybe 2 nil down at 1 stage.

They had two chances in a game and I should think that we were inches away from dropping points??

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm

Svensational wrote:
Svensational wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:No, that was me! But I don't expect everyone to start giving him rim jobs like me.

You must of watched a different game mate. Pompey had chance after chance for a 10-15minute stint in the 2nd half! As well as hitting the bar in the 1st and then Webber totally fluffing a shot in the 2nd. If they could finish we would of been 1 maybe 2 nil down at 1 stage.

They had two chances in a game and I should think that we were inches away from dropping points??

I think if you watch the match again you will see that they had more than 2 chances in the game.

Mate, I'm one of the most nervous people in the world when it comes to watching a football match but even I thought after the second went in that this was it. I honestly feel that had they scored one at some stage, we would've just turned onto second gear and scored again. And there would've still be 4 gears left.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby mr_nool » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Svensational wrote:
Svensational wrote:

I think if you watch the match again you will see that they had more than 2 chances in the game.

Mate, I'm one of the most nervous people in the world when it comes to watching a football match but even I thought after the second went in that this was it. I honestly feel that had they scored one at some stage, we would've just turned onto second gear and scored again. And there would've still be 4 gears left.

Are you saying we're a diesel fuelled carl?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Portsmouth should have scored 3 times:
  • When they hit the bar
  • When that lad tripped himself up when shooting (lol)
  • When their player had a free header/chance from 3 yards out in final 5 minutes

That performance against any other team in the league would have resulted in a lose or draw at best. We were lucky the fixture calender gave us Portsmouth and TBH as their central defender!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Svensational wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Portsmouth should have scored 3 times:
  • When they hit the bar
  • When that lad tripped himself up when shooting (lol)
  • When their player had a free header/chance from 3 yards out in final 5 minutes

That performance against any other team in the league would have resulted in a lose or draw at best. We were lucky the fixture calender gave us Portsmouth and TBH as their central defender!

What about when Given tipped the ball into Utakas path?

We were indeed lucky that Portsmouth cannot finish, end of.

True - 4 gilt edge chances that should have been converted!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:[quote="Ted Hughes

Well a genuine top side may have attempted to give the worst side in the PL a thrashing but you can bet your life that a top side would first and foremost ensure they won.

And we 'ensured we won' by strolling round the pitch, handing what should have been a two goal start to the oppo & passing the ball like Bolton? I thought we were just shit but if as you're suggesting; playing like that was a tactical decision, it's much worse than I thought.

Yes. That is what I said. Mancini told the players to play like shit, score 2 goals and continue playing like shit.

If all you want to do is derive pure misery from the game yesterday then go ahead.

That's all I got from it. Pure misery. I found it one of the most disappointing games for years & hated every single minute of it. I wish I had'nt seen it because it made Wednesday's result feel worse rather than better. I can't wait for a (hopefully) good victory in the next game to give me back the hope that we're going to challenge for the top 4.

Luckily I didn't have to endure every minute. I actually fell asleep twice, once in the first half then again in the second. It is surely good to get a win when playing poorly but I hate to think this is the Mancini way from now on.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Blue in the face wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:[quote="Ted Hughes

Luckily I didn't have to endure every minute. I actually fell asleep twice, once in the first half then again in the second. It is surely good to get a win when playing poorly but I hate to think this is the Mancini way that we will endure from now on.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby BrianBlackleyBlue » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

It wasn't pretty to watch and yes we rode our luck but sometimes you just have to win ugly. 3pts.
BrianBlackleyBlue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: COLIN BELL

Postby pepsi_dave » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:19 pm

I can ONLY answer yes, 3 points in the bag, a clean sheet, a point off 4th with 2 games in hand....

We didnt play fantastically well, but we still got the best result we could have hoped for, you cant get more than 3 points.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

Why do people expect us to perform amazingly well every game? The players had just come out of a semi-final against Utd and now had to play the worst team in the league. It's extremely unlikely they were going to be overly excited about it, just as the fans watching would have been.

Yet they did the job they were asked to do - win the game.

Players are more up for games against the bigger teams, just as the fans are, and will perform better in those games.

Mancini has won 7 out 9 since he started. I know some of them were against weaker teams, but considering the amount of weak teams we drew with earlier in the season, I'll take the current form thank you very much.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:25 pm

aaron bond wrote:Why do people expect us to perform amazingly well every game? The players had just come out of a semi-final against Utd and now had to play the worst team in the league. It's extremely unlikely they were going to be overly excited about it, just as the fans watching would have been.

Yet they did the job they were asked to do - win the game.

Players are more up for games against the bigger teams, just as the fans are, and will perform better in those games.

Mancini has won 7 out 9 since he started. I know some of them were against weaker teams, but considering the amount of weak teams we drew with earlier in the season, I'll take the current form thank you very much.

They do seem good stats mate, and if you look back, I think Hughes achieved similar results, in fact, Hughes managed 8 out of 9 from the start of the season, only losing to the scum. However, I don't think it's the results people are questioning, it's more the manor of play. I'm sure however, that when we get the better defensive players back on the pitch, our formation, tactics and game play will change and that it is just a matter of 'Needs Must' at this present time.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum