Are You Happy About Todays Game?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

are you happy about Portsmouth game?

Yes
59%
No
27%
Not sure
14%

Total votes : 129

Re: Are You Happy About Todays Game?

Postby Blue2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:36 pm

Good performance, early injuries set us back a bit, but we were comfortable nearly all game.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby nickson71 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Not a classic demolition of Pompey but they got the job done ..... another 3 points and a clean sheet

So I'm happy ..... 1pt of 4th with 2 games in hand and 8 points of 3rd with 2 games in hand

still looking very good
nickson71
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Shocking Game

3 points is good , but tatics are questionable to say the least.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:04 pm

People need to remember that Mancini is still trying to learn about which of our current players he wants to keep after the summer.
He is probably only just working out what his best starting line up is.
He hasn't even seen Lescott or Bridge play yet.

Anyway.... I thought the cliche in football was a "good team still wins when playing badly"....
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:16 pm

nickson71 wrote:Not a classic demolition of Pompey but they got the job done ..... another 3 points and a clean sheet

So I'm happy ..... 1pt of 4th with 2 games in hand and 8 points of 3rd with 2 games in hand

still looking very good

It's 'off' not 'of' third
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Anyway.... I thought the cliche in football was a "good team still wins when playing badly"....

Yeah but not when its our team apparently

We needed a positive result today and we got it without trying too hard or playing well. I'll take the same again for the next two games. On the up side its going to be tantrums, tears and tactics on here when Mancini starts grinding out your classic Serie A one nillers to nail down that elusive top 4 spot :)
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 pm

failsworthblue wrote:Shocking Game

3 points is good , but tatics are questionable to say the least.

Strange but, I've just watched the game in full on TV and we looked a lot better than we did live.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:Get the defence right first then build on that as a platform - isn't that what we've been wanting a coach to do since forever?

That's right mate, ask U***d about that one. Apart from the first 3 under Mancio, we have conceded in every game, despite the very defensive minded approach, including a couple against the likes of Scunthorpe. Everton sussed us out, Rags didn't have a problem, whilst the current teams we are playing just don't have what it takes. Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will be the real test, and that's for any side, but we'll see how much we have progressed at least.

I beg to differ, they had to resort to a last minute goal to beat us, apart for that the tie was completely balanced.

I've to say I'm amazed about all this moaning, really. Big games are always going to see us give our best, because of the motivations involved, but it's games like today's that can be the proverbial banana skin, still we got a pretty comfortable 2-0 win bouncing back from losing a semifinal derby tie, I really don't see what is there to not be happy about. Ok, the level of play wasn't spectaculer, but it didn't need to be to complete the job, and we did just that.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:Get the defence right first then build on that as a platform - isn't that what we've been wanting a coach to do since forever?

That's right mate, ask U***d about that one. Apart from the first 3 under Mancio, we have conceded in every game, despite the very defensive minded approach, including a couple against the likes of Scunthorpe. Everton sussed us out, Rags didn't have a problem, whilst the current teams we are playing just don't have what it takes. Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs will be the real test, and that's for any side, but we'll see how much we have progressed at least.

I beg to differ, they had to resort to a last minute goal to beat us, apart for that the tie was completely balanced.

I've to say I'm amazed about all this moaning, really. Big games are always going to see us give our best, because of the motivations involved, but it's games like today's that can be the proverbial banana skin, still we got a pretty comfortable 2-0 win bouncing back from losing a semifinal derby tie, I really don't see what is there to not be happy about. Ok, the level of play wasn't spectaculer, but it didn't need to be to complete the job, and we did just that.

I beg to differ also as in the context of the discussion about defending, how many did they put passed us?

And, don't you just hate it when teams 'Resort to a last minute goals'?
Last edited by Beefymcfc on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:37 pm

I thought it was horrible, slow, half hearted, disorganised, devoid of skill, tactically stupid & Pearce's team with Tevez added to it would have beaten us.

Portsmouth were possibly the worst side I've ever seen in the PL & they should have been 2 up before we scored. If we produce another performance like that in either of the next 2 games we'll get hammered.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:39 pm

I voted NO because, although I was happy with the result thats not what the OP asked. I didn't necessarily think we played badly but the game was incredibly boring.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I beg to differ also as in the context of the discussion about defending, how many did they put passed us?

They put 4 past us, we put 3 past them. Is their defence shite for that? When you meet a strong team, there's always the chance of them putting some goals past you, and let's not forget that we played almost both legs with a teenager in the middle of the defence for lack of alternatives (although he did well, who knows if Toure's experience might have avoided one or two of their goals?)

As fo the other question, I hate it, of course, but to me it is proof that the team played well and only switched off at the end, which is frustrating (especially in a derby) but better than being hammered 4-0.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:I beg to differ also as in the context of the discussion about defending, how many did they put passed us?

They put 4 past us, we put 3 past them. Is their defence shite for that? When you meet a strong team, there's always the chance of them putting some goals past you, and let's not forget that we played almost both legs with a teenager in the middle of the defence for lack of alternatives (although he did well, who knows if Toure's experience might have avoided one or two of their goals?)

As fo the other question, I hate it, of course, but to me it is proof that the team played well and only switched off at the end, which is frustrating (especially in a derby) but better than being hammered 4-0.

I don't disagree mate, but again, in the context of the discussion, and in the way we line up, we have been very poor in defence; especially if that's where we are building from.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

I don't disagree mate, but again, in the context of the discussion, and in the way we line up, we have been very poor in defence; especially if that's where we are building from.

While I'm disappointed at some of the goals we have let in, I think it's early to say we have been poor, as we haven't had our first choice defence so far since Mancini has come. Once Bridge, Lescott, Micah are all fit, we will see who he picks and how the defence performs, and then we will be able to really see if we are strong at the back, or not. ;)
CityFanFromRome

Postby edge275 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

Not the greatest performance but I'm happy nonetheless. 3 points, another 2 on our GD. Can't complain. Plus I won "650 back from my £500.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 pm

It wasnt quite Stuart Pearce bad but it wasnt like watching Brazil.

I expected us to win this and we did. So im not overwhelmed.

In terms of performance the square pegs in round holes natue of our midfield was the issue. Everyone was out of position bar De Jong who shouldnt have been on the pitch in the first place for this type of fixture.

3 more points, but if we play like we did again today against more canny opposition, we will be caught out. Like we were at Everton
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Citizen of Oslo » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:14 pm

Very relieved that we got our 3 points on the first attempt after that semi. I guess nobody was impressed by the game. But we won.
This season we have conceded 1,59 goals per game with Hughes. Under Mancini it is 0,6. League games only.
Citizen of Oslo
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Why did Richards not play today?
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Vantage » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Played crap and won, under Hughes we would have struggled then folded, under Pearce we would have got beat (primarily because the squad wasn't as good).

David Platt on the other hand is a COCK
Have you seen my bongos?
Vantage
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Paul Lake

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Blue in the face wrote:Why did Richards not play today?
Injured mate
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum