Petrov/Left Wing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Petrov/Left Wing

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:52 pm

Can anybody explain why we played Petrov out on the right then continued to play the ball down the left to Barry instead? Baffling tactics if you ask me!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Petrov/Left Wing

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:54 pm

fuck knows mate it was doing my head in. i said it in another thread but every time petrov got the ball we lost our shape due to him cutting inside.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:58 pm

I don't think he is willing to play Petrov on the right when Garrido is left back because it would mean our whole left side is vunerable.

Garrido is a weak left back, Petrov can't defend. We would get bombarded on our left flank.
MARKMAKAVELI

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:00 pm

Beanie told Mancio to do it
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:11 pm

I could stomach mancini playing petrov on the right if he played bellers on the left from the outset. However, Mancini has put petrov on the left when he is possibly our most ineffective player in that position. We are going to get found out if he continues with this stupidity. Absolutely pointless tactic, I understand the need to try it, but it hasn't worked, so STOP NOW.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:21 pm

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:I don't think he is willing to play Petrov on the right when Garrido is left back because it would mean our whole left side is vunerable.

Garrido is a weak left back, Petrov can't defend. We would get bombarded on our left flank.

I was thinking that a while back but after a while, realised we've played Petrov there too many times. Inow think it's more for his attacking/shooting ability with the lack of a target man (excluding Ade today).
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

I dont agree garrido is a weak left back , i believe petrov is lazy and wont help his full back defend. Same was with robinho!
Maybe if this adam johnson signing comes off he may work alot harder than petrov or robinho did at defending.
You know if SWP plays he will defend and attack.

I dont think garrido is the greatest left back in the world but you need to defend as a team and attack as a team. Its really that simple, If you dont do that then you never going to get anywhere. You can have all the money and world class players in the world but to win trophies you need to do that.
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm

BlueMoonAwoken wrote:I dont agree garrido is a weak left back , i believe petrov is lazy and wont help his full back defend. Same was with robinho!
Maybe if this adam johnson signing comes off he may work alot harder than petrov or robinho did at defending.

I dont think garrido is the greatest left back in the world but you need to defend as a team and attack as a team. Its really that simple, If you dont do that then you never going to get anywhere. You can have all the money and world class players in the world but to win trophies you need to do that.

Garrido just doesn't look like a footballer at times. He has his moments where he looks top notch but unfortnatley they don't come around that often. I agree he would be better with someone who tracks back more, but for me, the fundamentals don't seem to be there with him.

I'm from the old school where I want my attackers to attack an defenders to defend. Being a winger myself, the best place for me is right on the flank, last man... not running back tackling. Maybe it's the lazy man in me lol. I know he is a dick but Ronaldo never got back but was such a threat going forward it didn't matter. Give them the problem to worry about.
MARKMAKAVELI

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Whilst accepting it is a team game I think Petrov is wasted on the right of the pitch. Could Barry not play left back until Mancini until Bridge comes back.

I would hope that Mancini will judge Bridge over the next few months to make his own opinion of what works on the left side of the pitch both from a defensive and attacking perspective. I'd be surprised if Bridge & Petrov feature on the left side much next season.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:29 pm

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:
BlueMoonAwoken wrote:I dont agree garrido is a weak left back , i believe petrov is lazy and wont help his full back defend. Same was with robinho!

Garrido just doesn't look like a footballer at times. He has his moments where he looks top notch but unfortnatley they don't come around that often. I agree he would be better with someone who tracks back more, but for me, the fundamentals don't seem to be there with him.

I'm from the old school where I want my attackers to attack an defenders to defend. Being a winger myself, the best place for me is right on the flank, last man... not running back tackling. Maybe it's the lazy man in me lol. I know he is a dick but Ronaldo never got back but was such a threat going forward it didn't matter. Give them the problem to worry about.

Yeah but ronaldo (i hate to say it) is world class , Could you say the same for petrov or robinho?

And in todays game the top teams all have very attacking left backs that could easily play left wing.

Cole and ivanovic at chelsea , Evra and rafeal at the rags and Clichy and sagna at arsenal.

So you need a left winger that aint going to leave your full back with a left winger and a full back to mark. Its strange mancini looks like he wants a right back where we could do with a left back. But is there a better left back in the world right now than bridge that would actually come to us?
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Crossie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

We usually play 2 defensive midfields to cover the full backs and allow the wingers to stay forward.

Atleast thats what I thought!
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:28 pm

BlueMoonAwoken wrote:
Yeah but ronaldo (i hate to say it) is world class , Could you say the same for petrov or robinho?

Fair point. As for anyone better coming to us, who knows. I hope it has been identified as a problem area for us. You never know, with all this Bridge stuff going on, maybe he will come out of it more focused and be a better player after it has all blown over.
MARKMAKAVELI

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:39 pm

I remember previous managers (and I don't just mean Hughes) being lambasted on here for not trying anything different, and being predictable.... people used to say "why can't we have a manager who changes the tactics in a way that no one was expecting".... football fans can be very fickle.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Petrov on the right should be plan B not plan A. Regardless of his defensive capabilities, today Pompey were not going to overwhelm us down our left hand side. Petrov performs best on the left, its been proven.

Ireland ended up wide left and wide right for long periods of the game. He just cannot perform in either role. Ireland is off the boil at the moment but he isnt being used correctly.

Looking at the formation from kickoff, i didnt see the need for De Jong. Too negative a player for this type of game. We should have played SWP right in a diamond with Barry sitting, Ireland advanced, and Petrov out wide left.

With so many players out of position, the fluidity just wasnt there.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby irblinx » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Was crazy today, Portsmouth knew exactly what to expect every time. Petrov's best asset is his pace and having him cut back every time just wasted that
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:I remember previous managers (and I don't just mean Hughes) being lambasted on here for not trying anything different, and being predictable.... people used to say "why can't we have a manager who changes the tactics in a way that no one was expecting".... football fans can be very fickle.

They probably meant doing something inspirational that improves the game rather than persevere with something that was quite clearly ruining the team as an attacking force. I'm sure that the occasional variation of Petrov on the right is a viable trick but today it was an obvious mistake. Some of you may want to pretend you didn't think it was a total failure but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who says they thought it was a success today is either telling lies or mentally subnormal.

Funnily enough the last manager was lambasted as a clueless cunt for trying it for 10 mins once.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Return to The Maine Football forum