Gago?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Gago?

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:So lets get this straight, we are running around in panic at the last minute for Gago, who has played 180 odd games and scored twice (with 9 assists) so he's a holding midfielder.

A quick check of the squad reveals we have De Jong, Barry, Vieira, Kompany and Zabba, 5 ... count them 5, players who can already play in this role.

What the hell is the plan, a 3-4-2-1 formation with effectively a back 7?

Let's analyze those you mentioned for a moment. Kompany has not playd a single minute in DM under Mancini, and there's no guarantee the gaffer will see him fit to play there. Zabaleta, he's also cover for Richards at RB, so there might be games where he has to be used there, and will be unavailable to play as DM (although Mancini did play Onuoha as RB at Scunthorpe, but I'm not sure this will happen again) Vieira, he's still not fit and since it seemed a stupid injury, who knows how long will he actually take to be fit? This leaves us with only De Jong and Barry as pure defensive midfielders, and even that is at a push, since Barry is not a classical DM. He's surely not a creative one but I think his role is a bit larger than that of De Jong as he has to support attacks (if he can bring himself to go faster than a snail, that is). This leaves us with only De Jong as an out-and-out DM, and Vieira when he will be fit. This said, I wouldn't have seen the Gago move so obscene, although not strictly necessary.

They can all play there though, and have done on multiple occasions in the Premier league - the position is more than covered. However the position of "creative cent midfielder" is covered by Ireland and thats it.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:18 pm

Goaters 103 wrote:
They can all play there though, and have done on multiple occasions in the Premier league - the position is more than covered. However the position of "creative cent midfielder" is covered by Ireland and thats it.

Oh, I agree that we needed a creative central midfielder. I'm just not sure Mancini thinks the same, but not because he will fill the side with DMs. When he was at Inter, he played a 442 diamond formation, with Figo, a winger, as the man behind the strikers, and ed it again here with PEtrov and also with SWP for part of the first leg against the rags. So I believe he will stick one of the wingers there in the hole behind the strikers and go with the diamond formation if we miss Ireland. He might even go with the diamond when Ireland's fit, to be honest, with De Jong as a screen in front of the back line, Ireland and Barry as CMs and Tevez behind Bellamy and Adebayor, or Ireland behind the strikers Ade and Tevez and SWP in midfield.

So this is why I don't think Mancini sees us needing another creative mid, he reckons Petrov, SWP and Tevez can cover that if there is no Ireland.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:34 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Goaters 103 wrote:

Oh, I agree that we needed a creative central midfielder. I'm just not sure Mancini thinks the same, but not because he will fill the side with DMs. When he was at Inter, he played a 442 diamond formation, with Figo, a winger, as the man behind the strikers, and ed it again here with PEtrov and also with SWP for part of the first leg against the rags. So I believe he will stick one of the wingers there in the hole behind the strikers and go with the diamond formation if we miss Ireland. He might even go with the diamond when Ireland's fit, to be honest, with De Jong as a screen in front of the back line, Ireland and Barry as CMs and Tevez behind Bellamy and Adebayor, or Ireland behind the strikers Ade and Tevez and SWP in midfield.

So this is why I don't think Mancini sees us needing another creative mid, he reckons Petrov, SWP and Tevez can cover that if there is no Ireland.

I hope he doesnt want to do that because I think our best attacking asset this season has been our pace down the flanks. A diamond with Ireland and Barry in the middle would be far too narrow for me and wont work in the Premiership where the physical teams like Stoke will pack the midfield and out muscle us. I also dont think Adam Johnson is the sort of signing he'd be making if this was how he wanted City to line up.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Wooders wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Wooders wrote:soooooo?

Whats up are we gonna get special dispensation or what?
Also why couldn't we organise a loan deal with an arrangement to make it permanent in the summer? Why are we so shit at transfers?

Hughes didn't have a problem???

Hmm I think we missed out on a few under hughes as well - kaka being the obvious one !

As Doomy mentioned, 'They Bottled it' ;-)

However, I do not have a problem with Hughes or Mancini's transfers (or lack of), but more the fact that Hughes seemed to be allowed to spend whereas Mancini is not. It is more to do with the term of management Mancini has been licensed with.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Wooders wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Wooders wrote:soooooo?

Whats up are we gonna get special dispensation or what?
Also why couldn't we organise a loan deal with an arrangement to make it permanent in the summer? Why are we so shit at transfers?

Hughes didn't have a problem???

Hmm I think we missed out on a few under hughes as well - kaka being the obvious one !

As Doomy mentioned, 'They Bottled it' ;-)

However, I do not have a problem with Hughes or Mancini's transfers (or lack of), but more the fact that Hughes seemed to be allowed to spend whereas Mancini is not. It is more to do with the term of management Mancini has been licensed with.

I just think its down to the crazy amount of money already laid out in the previous windows and how hard it is to get value for money in January. We may have a seemingly bottomless pot of gold but we still dont want to be seen in football as reckless with our dealings or willing to pay whatever to get our man. I think those days are behind us when we were splashing out over the odds, to catch up with the teams above us. In the future, I think what we pay will be far closer to the players real market valuation than in the recent past.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum