Pompey taken over again **Update page 2**

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pompey taken over again **Update page 2**

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Portsmouth's financial problems have deepened after they failed to meet a deadline to repay £9million owed to former owner Sacha Gaydamak.

The cash-strapped club are fighting a winding-up order over an unpaid tax and VAT bill with the South Coast outfit fighting to avoid going into administration

Portsmouth were forced to sell Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic during the transfer window to raise funds and help pay the players' wages.

However, the club could face problems after it was revealed they have missed the deadline to repay money owed to Gaydamak.

The latest revelation is another blow for the Premier League's basement boys, with the club having failed to pay their players on time on three occasions this season, while their official website was temporarily closed down because of payment problems.

from skysports.com

It's not looking good for them, its just a matter of when they go out of business rather than if.
Last edited by Mark (Blue Army) on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Pompey miss payment deadline!!!

Postby Wooders » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 pm

no more bell ringing next season is all I can think of. Delighted.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby crossan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Wooders wrote:no more bell ringing next season is all I can think of. Delighted.

Me too..............dodgy bastard southerners..............that tatooed twat with the bell will be blubbing...ha bloody ha.
I am City til I die,
I am City til I die,
I know I am,I'm sure I am,
I am City til I die.
crossan
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City.
My favourite player is: Johnny Crossan.

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

They should just go into administration and get it over and done with. They're just dragging out the inevitable. Take the point deduction, accept that they're going down and try get themselves in some sort of order for next season.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:13 pm

I really dont understand how this has been allowed to happen. How did the fella pass the fit and proper person test? Part of the test is proving you have the funds isnt it?

I feel sorry for them, I have a friend who is a pompey fan and he is really gutted.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Florida Blue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Is this really news anymore? I think the one way it would be in the future is if they made the payment on time.
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Fish111 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Avram Grant has only been paid ONCE since he went there. I know they're not short of money as individuals but i would still want my employer to honour their contract and pay me!
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby dick dastardley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm

what happened to that dodgy saudi Fahim? The one city fucked off soon as he started gobbing off? pompey are in the shit big time and to think they won the FA cup a couple of years ago!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Scousers would get three extra points if Pompey were to go bust before the end of the season as their 2-0 defeat at Fratton Park would become a 3-0 win
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Gio

Postby Montgomery Burns » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:15 pm

giokingkladze wrote:Scousers would get three extra points if Pompey were to go bust before the end of the season as their 2-0 defeat at Fratton Park would become a 3-0 win

Well lets hope that doesn't happen then!

I must say I'm mystified at the game plan of the current owner, and the one before that come to think of it.

Whilst Al Faraj has taken ownership he seems either unwilling or unable to fund the club to the level it needs and will almost be a miracle if they survive to the end of the season without being the first Premier League club to go into administration.

But is administration even the end game here? Could this all be something to do with property redevelopment of both Fratton Park and the many acres surrounding it, which is allegedly owned by Gaydamak or linked in some way to him, that is if press reports are to be believed.

Could Al Faraj be simply a front for Gaydamak, that is someone prepared to be a fall guy for the abuse that will come his way if Portsmouth cease to have a football club in the city, with others then carving up the spoils in the next property boom to come our way?

I come back to my original point of what Al Faraj hopes to get out of this and indeed what his plan was (or was the plan of others) from day one. I don't have an opinion on any of this, for obvious legal reasons, but others may.

It's not looking good for them though.
Montgomery Burns
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby walmai » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

giokingkladze wrote:Scousers would get three extra points if Pompey were to go bust before the end of the season as their 2-0 defeat at Fratton Park would become a 3-0 win

Are you sure about that? I thought that if one team goes under, its only points achieved against clubs still going that count. That would mean that each team had all records of their game(s) against PFC expunged from the record.

How can LFC get awarded 3 goals they never scored?
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby CityGer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:18 pm

The Premier league will somehow prop them up until the end of the season. They will not want the shame and bad publiity that will result from one of the team's competing in the league going to the wall. Once the season end and they are down, they are fooked and will probably go to the wall.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby mcfc1632 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I really dont understand how this has been allowed to happen. How did the fella pass the fit and proper person test? Part of the test is proving you have the funds isnt it?

I feel sorry for them, I have a friend who is a pompey fan and he is really gutted.

Me too - I now live in Berkshire so Portsmouth is not so far away - I can think of many clubs that might deserve this - but after CITY, very few would be ahead of Portsmouth in the list that don't
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby gillie » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm

If Pompey do go to the wall does anyone know the correct ruling on points gained against or lost against them coz i would be mighty pissed if we were docked six points.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby giokingkladze » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:45 pm

walmai wrote:

Are you sure about that? I thought that if one team goes under, its only points achieved against clubs still going that count. That would mean that each team had all records of their game(s) against PFC expunged from the record.

How can LFC get awarded 3 goals they never scored?

I'm not certain, I'd just read it somewhere.

If it was just points achieved against clubs still going that count though, then our two victories against Pompey would be chalked off, Liverpool's one defeat would be chalked off and we'd be in the same situation, no?
giokingkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Gio

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:24 am

Montgomery Burns wrote:

Well lets hope that doesn't happen then!

I must say I'm mystified at the game plan of the current owner, and the one before that come to think of it.

Whilst Al Faraj has taken ownership he seems either unwilling or unable to fund the club to the level it needs and will almost be a miracle if they survive to the end of the season without being the first Premier League club to go into administration.

But is administration even the end game here? Could this all be something to do with property redevelopment of both Fratton Park and the many acres surrounding it, which is allegedly owned by Gaydamak or linked in some way to him, that is if press reports are to be believed.

Could Al Faraj be simply a front for Gaydamak, that is someone prepared to be a fall guy for the abuse that will come his way if Portsmouth cease to have a football club in the city, with others then carving up the spoils in the next property boom to come our way?

I come back to my original point of what Al Faraj hopes to get out of this and indeed what his plan was (or was the plan of others) from day one. I don't have an opinion on any of this, for obvious legal reasons, but others may.

It's not looking good for them though.

I did some digging after writing the original piece and came up with an article from The Grauniad:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... e-gaydamak

Land is the key to Gaydamak's Pompey standoff• Gaydamak is owed £28m by Portsmouth
• Former owner has land that the club wants

Buzz up!
Digg it
Matt Scott guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 5 January 2010

Portsmouth's long, slow death will be solved at a stroke if they can untangle a multimillion-pound property riddle.

Alexandre Gaydamak, the former owner, is owed £28m by Pompey and has something they want: the land that he separated from the club when he sold it. The acreage has no monetary value to him, since planning restrictions demand developments be tied to the club. But Gaydamak knows it is his best bet on recouping his £28m, since the property is worth a lot to new owner, Ali al-Faraj, as the land combined with the stadium are required for a viable development prospect.

Faraj et al, who are keeping the club on life-support with a drip feed of funding until the situation becomes clearer, are not at Fratton Park for the love of Portsmouth. The Saudi and his brother, Ahmed, hold a multimillion-pound London property portfolio looked after by Ahmed's fellow Pompey director, Mark Jacob, a property lawyer. Their fellow directors in the club's holding company, Falcondrone, are Israeli property developers.

Gaydamak has said he was contracted to sign back the property deeds to the club for £1 last month if conditions, including the payment of a £2.5m debt to Barclays and a £9m instalment on Gaydamak's £28m loans, had been met. The first of those conditions was not met and so Gaydamak holds the land. And in the midst of the standoff, Portsmouth head for a winding-up hearing in court next month.
Montgomery Burns
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:00 am

I wouldn't take any pleasure in Portsmouth going under, in fact I think it would be tragic. It's one thing having a laugh but this is a disgrace & once again the 'loveable cockney' has helped push through ridiculous spending which has left a club almost dead & buried & then picked the bones of the corpse.

"How can they afford to poach James & Distin from us when they only get half our gates?" we said.

Ask Harry.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Portsmouth's financial problems have deepened after they failed to meet a deadline to repay £9million owed to former owner Sacha Gaydamak.

The cash-strapped club are fighting a winding-up order over an unpaid tax and VAT bill with the South Coast outfit fighting to avoid going into administration

Portsmouth were forced to sell Younes Kaboul and Asmir Begovic during the transfer window to raise funds and help pay the players' wages.

However, the club could face problems after it was revealed they have missed the deadline to repay money owed to Gaydamak.

The latest revelation is another blow for the Premier League's basement boys, with the club having failed to pay their players on time on three occasions this season, while their official website was temporarily closed down because of payment problems.

from skysports.com

It's not looking good for them, its just a matter of when they go out of business rather than if.

Sad thing is they arn't even gonna make it to administration. I think they will go completely out of business after the winding up hearing.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 pm

I hope not, it would reflect terrible on the league for a team to have to pull out. I'd imagine the premier league would prop them up so they could complete their remaining fixtures and then let them bite the dust.

If they do fail to complete their fixtures then I'm guessing all the results already played will be striken from the record books - meaning we lose 3 points and Liverpool don't lose any. That would be a bitter pill to swallow if they got 4th place due to that!
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 pm

We're presently reeling from the effects of a recession yet not one of the 92 League Clubs went out of business. I'm sure Pompey will somehow be saved - but Gold & Sullivan at West Ham have admitted that their purchase of the Club makes no business sense whatsoever. That's worrying.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum