Tour of the USA in the summer and new deal for Petrov?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tour of the USA in the summer and new deal for Petrov?

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... eek-us-tou

Manchester City seek United States tour to promote their brand
• They want to tap into the lucrative American market
• And compete with Mancherster United for global popularity

Manchester City have held talks about a summer tour of the United States as part of their next step towards establishing a global brand and gaining ground on Manchester United's worldwide popularity.

Despite the greater financial rewards on offer in the far east and the club's links to Abu Dhabi, City are keen to tap into the American market and have not been discouraged by the relative failure of United and Chelsea to "break" the country on recent tours.

Talks are only at a preliminary stage but the club's chief executive, Garry Cook, is keen to explore possible ways of increasing City's American fan base in a World Cup year when the US national team have been drawn to play England in the opening group. Cook previously worked as a marketing executive at Nike headquarters in Portland, Oregon, and there have been talks about staging one of the games in the city. New York and Philadelphia are also under consideration.

City chose to tour South Africa last summer and played the United Arab Emirates national team during a training camp in Abu Dhabi, the home of their owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, in November. When Cook addressed fans during that trip to the Middle East he spoke of City being "not just a Manchester club but a worldwide club" and he wants to act on that by promoting them in areas of the world where they may not be widely known.

United had only limited success when they made a concerted effort to win over the US with summer tours in 2003 and 2004, and have since reverted to pre-season matches in the Far East to safeguard their enormous popularity in that part of the world. Chelsea have also struggled to have a sustained impact among American sports fans but it is a country that is taking an increased interest in the Premier League and City's immense wealth has given them a new profile worldwide. The club's marketing department were delighted, for instance, to find that the infamous Welcome to Manchester billboard they erected in the city centre after Carlos Tevez's signing, with the intention of antagonising United, attracted publicity as far afield as the US, Australia and China.

City have offered Martin Petrov a new contract and are encouraged by the way the negotiations have gone with the Bulgaria international. The deadline-day signing of Adam Johnson and Craig Bellamy's impressive form have increased the competition on the left side of attack but Robinho has made it clear he does not want to return to Manchester after his six-month loan spell with Santos and the manager, Roberto Mancini, is keen to keep the 31-year-old Petrov, who is out of contract at the end of the season and eligible to speak to potential buyers.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Re: Tour of the USA in the summer and new deal for Petrov?

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:32 am

An tour of the States would be fantastic.
I'd honestly be okay with letting Petrov walk away.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby andeez nutz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 am

I would love it if they toured America and came to Philly..

but when chelski and the rags come, the stadiums were all sold out, so i dont consider that to be a failure?
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby dtduffy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 am

Please come to the US. Baltimore or DC would be great, if they could play at the new stadium in Philly or at the Linc it would be awesome too. Basically the closest they come to DC is the game that I will come to.
dtduffy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:41 am

Although football as a spectator sport (either in a stadium or on TV) will never attract the numbers/money that basketball & baseball bring in, U.S. soccer fans are actually quite knowledgeable and are very keen on the sport. Heard the U.S. will have more fans going to South Africa than any country except England. Americans are starting to appreciate that they can't just talk about "Manchester" like they used to, now they know English football has two teams with that name. That's something to tap into. There's been talk of City's marketing linking up with the NY Mets (pretty hapless bunch right now though) the way the rags did with the Skankees, but they'd be better off spreading their appeal more widely. Tevez alone would pull in loads of people from the Spanish-speaking communities, pity he probably won't be on any City summer tour of the States, he'll be resting at home in Argentina after the World Cup.

Petrov will sign and stay, he won't get a better deal anywhere else, he's come a long way from his dad's collective farm in Bulgaria.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:08 am

dtduffy wrote:Please come to the US. Baltimore or DC would be great, if they could play at the new stadium in Philly or at the Linc it would be awesome too. Basically the closest they come to DC is the game that I will come to.

I think it would have to be the Linc, while the Chester Stadium is nice, I don't think it will seat nearly enough to make it worthwhile.

Me, I'm hoping they stop in Chicago.

What will likely happen is we get paired up with 3 other clubs, and play a series of friendlies. Last year it was Chelski, Milan, Inter, and Club America. This summer, City, Rags?, ???, ??? . That would be great fun.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 am

We have a new ITK here in this forum.. Someone posted this (tour of US) just a while ago!

I think the Asian market is so much bigger you should try to get there first and foremost but maybe that's next year's thing again.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Fish111 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:12 am

I would have thought the Asian market is the one to crack rather than the USA, they are football mad over there but in the states football will never compete with the established sports and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. It'll be a nice holiday for the lads though and enables the ex-pat blues to see the boys in action.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 am

Fish111 wrote:I would have thought the Asian market is the one to crack rather than the USA, they are football mad over there but in the states football will never compete with the established sports and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves. It'll be a nice holiday for the lads though and enables the ex-pat blues to see the boys in action.

I've promised to go see my friends in Boston in the summer so I shall be looking to defo take in one of these games if possible

Personally I don't really get the preoccupation with trying to "crack" the US market other than the obvious fact that, per supporter, you are likely to be able to squeeze more revenue per fan than you would in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe etc

I guess that's as good a reason as any TBH and if Cookie knows anything about anything, it should be marketing to our friends stateside
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:04 am

No doubt this is Cookies brain child, with his connections out there.

I think this probably a good time to do the States, we've done China and Thailand already, we can go back that way in the future, but you have to consider the security issues.

As for venues, I suspect our friends in Philly, DC will be dissapointed.

Popular more commonly used venues in LA, NY and perhaps even Florida would be more likely?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby simon12 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:13 am

I`m hoping for NY in a selfish way as me and this missus have already said we will go if thet go there for a few days. Can`t wait. Hope it includes a Weds night as NY`s best nightclub "Cielo" has a good night on.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:15 am

I think someone needs to think about how to make money out of people who PLAY soccer rather than people who WATCH it in US.
There is huge participation but little interest in the game as played professionally.
Plus there's a huge pool of youth talent. Get them aspiring to play for City rather than expecting their dad's to want to watch City.
Make "brand City" the established soccer brand. Compete with Adidas, not United.
If Garry hasn't worked that out yet, shame on him.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Renato_CTID » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 am

Sorry with all dear Mancunian fans living in USA but I really don't believe this long trip could take advantage to City squad!
First we'd have to prepare a very hard and long season in Europe, may be in Champions League with a too early delicate game.
Last but not least USA most popular squad sports will be baseball, basket, football or hockey for a long long time again!
My own opinion is Garry Cook knows very well this potential market but Man City needs much more to expand his brand to some European countries.
How many European fans of football usually think there's only a squad in Manchester and it's not ours?
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:09 am

Renato_CTID wrote:Sorry with all dear Mancunian fans living in USA but I really don't believe this long trip could take advantage to City squad!
First we'd have to prepare a very hard and long season in Europe, may be in Champions League with a too early delicate game.
Last but not least USA most popular squad sports will be baseball, basket, football or hockey for a long long time again!
My own opinion is Garry Cook knows very well this potential market but Man City needs much more to expand his brand to some European countries.
How many European fans of football usually think there's only a squad in Manchester and it's not ours?

Agree 100%. It's a World Cup year too. Who gives a toss about City taking a weakened team around the US when all the best players US players are in South Africa along with everyone elses?

Go there when we've won something big with a full strength team ffs. It'll just be our reserves getting beat by a team of Americans who are more 'up' for the game. Where's the good publicity in that?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 pm

I concede I'm quite biased as I live in the States, but I don't think them touring here would be so bad. Look at the squad they could put out (of non World Cup players)
Given
Richards- Onouha - Boyata- Garrido
Johnson - Ireland - Kompany- Weiss
Adebayor- Bellamy

Bit of a different set up, but still, that's hardly a reserve squad.

And again, they wouldn't be playing against American squads most likely, they would find 3 other teams from Europe to tour with.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby cdncityfan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:05 pm

If Manchester City were to cross the ocean, how could they miss the best football crowd in North America: Toronto FC. Despite being one of the worst teams in the North American league, TFC have the best attendance and it would mark the first time in a long time City has been back to Canada!
Manchester City FC: the class of the Premier League!
cdncityfan
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Rangers / City

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:24 am

ryanmjo wrote:I concede I'm quite biased as I live in the States, but I don't think them touring here would be so bad. Look at the squad they could put out (of non World Cup players)
Given
Adebayor- Bellamy

And again, they wouldn't be playing against American squads most likely, they would find 3 other teams from Europe to tour with.

You are biased but you do have a good point

I actually agree....with the exception of Vlad Weiss who will definitely be going to the World Cup with his dad (the Slovakian coach!)....that's the whole reason he's on loan to Bolton. You could have people like Mak, Ibrahim and Etuhu featuring in midfield though.

That's still a team that could see off most Premiership opposition so should be enough to turn an MLS team over I'd say
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 am

Then the rags will turn up with a full strength team the year after & blow us out of the water with Rooney & co playing to full houses.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Then the rags will turn up with a full strength team the year after & blow us out of the water with Rooney & co playing to full houses.

do you mean their carling cup youngsters?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ryanmjo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 pm

ant london wrote:
ryanmjo wrote:I concede I'm quite biased as I live in the States, but I don't think them touring here would be so bad. Look at the squad they could put out (of non World Cup players)
Given
Adebayor- Bellamy

You are biased but you do have a good point

I actually agree....with the exception of Vlad Weiss who will definitely be going to the World Cup with his dad (the Slovakian coach!)....that's the whole reason he's on loan to Bolton. You could have people like Mak, Ibrahim and Etuhu featuring in midfield though.

That's still a team that could see off most Premiership opposition so should be enough to turn an MLS team over I'd say

Wow, that's a blunder, don't know how I forgot about Weiss being in the Slovakian first XI.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum