Real 'Bottled It'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Real 'Bottled It'

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:55 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ian494 wrote:
btajim wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I wish people would stop saying fucking Marquee

It's MARQUE

FFS

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marque - and you're correct.

*doffs cap*

No he is wrong.

adj. Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity: The team is hoping to sign a marquee player.

from the OED:-

marquee

• noun 1 chiefly Brit. a large tent used for social or commercial functions. 2 N. Amer. a roof-like projection over the entrance to a theatre, hotel, or other building. 3 before another noun N. Amer. leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player.

Who's got the fucking english degree?

A) Me

B) You

C) Some clueless website

So do you also pronounce it as "mark" when you talk about a marque player?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Its MARQUEE, so shut your hole haircut!

Whether or not its "his fault" or "their fault" almost every single transfer has people giving out about the way we do business.

It keeps cropping up and I'll say it again -

IF EVERYONE IS CALLING YOU A JUNKIE, THEN YOU ARE SMOKING CRACK.

We look like council folk that just won the lotto.
Original Dub

Postby ronk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:58 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ian494 wrote:
btajim wrote:

It's MARQUE

FFS

*doffs cap*

No he is wrong.

adj. Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity: The team is hoping to sign a marquee player.

marquee

• noun 1 chiefly Brit. a large tent used for social or commercial functions. 2 N. Amer. a roof-like projection over the entrance to a theatre, hotel, or other building. 3 before another noun N. Amer. leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player.

A) Me

B) You

C) Some clueless website

C

I'm sure there's a rant coming and to be honest I want to hear it. What's your beef with the Oxford English Dictionary?
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:59 pm

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
ian494 wrote:
btajim wrote:

It's MARQUE

FFS

*doffs cap*

No he is wrong.

marquee

A) Me

B) You

C) Some clueless website

So do you also pronounce it as "mark" when you talk about a marque player?

It's actually more like mark-ay nooly...french for 'Brand' as in a brand signing
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:02 pm

Original Dub wrote:Its MARQUEE, so shut your hole haircut!.

Wrong...if you look at the definition on the OED it states that Marquee derives from North America as a marquee player

fucking inbreds wouldn't know what a word originating in french means or how to spell it so they fucking made it up

marquee is a tent...end of discussion
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ronk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Original Dub wrote:Its MARQUEE, so shut your hole haircut!

Whether or not its "his fault" or "their fault" almost every single transfer has people giving out about the way we do business.

So if everyone was calling Hughes clueless, and you weren't, then you'd have been wrong and they'd have been right, QED.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Its MARQUEE, so shut your hole haircut!.

Wrong...if you look at the definition on the OED it states that Marquee derives from North America as a marquee player

fucking inbreds wouldn't know what a word originating in french means or how to spell it so they fucking made it up

marquee is a tent...end of discussion

I was just going to say that the one now in common usage is probably down to the yanks. Either that or an alanbraziliation of the original.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
It's actually more like mark-ay nooly...french for 'Brand' as in a brand signing

Like in: that was one mark-ay part-ay!
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 pm

mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

I think you will find Marque is pronouned MARK and Marqueé is pronounced MARK-AY

Marque has many different meanings depending on its use.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

I think you will find Marque is pronouned MARK and Marqueé is pronounced MARK-AY

Marquee in it's current usage will be from some mispronounciation of that. Or it could be down to Marquee Marque & the Funky Bunch..
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

THat was what I thought, but IBH seemed to disagree. Or maybe it's just in writing he can't tolerate the americanisation of the word.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:23 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

THat was what I thought, but IBH seemed to disagree. Or maybe it's just in writing he can't tolerate the americanisation of the word.

Pronunciation of french words is hardly my forte so i'm willing to cede on that particular point
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 pm

ronk wrote:

So if everyone was calling Hughes clueless, and you weren't, then you'd have been wrong and they'd have been right, QED.

If everyone was calling Hughes clueless, then there had to have been certain things he didn't have a clue about.

Now there are two very important things to note - not everyone thought Hughes was "cluless". In fact, it was a minority from what I could tell, so that's not a very good example.

Also, this thread is not an isolated incident. It is becoming commonplace over the last year and if the top clubs are saying we are shabby in the way we are going about our business, then there must be some element of truth there.

You see ronky, I never said "If everyone is calling you a junkie, then you are a junkie".

I said "If everyone is calling you a junkie, then you're smoking crack."

OR

There's no smoke without fire for a friendlier version.
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Crickey !

Just wait until blueboylewis comes home from school. He'll sort this one out for you all.

I think he's having a French lesson today.

Anyone tried googling it, or would that be googleing it ? Somehow i prefer the former and
I can't help thinking that it is Marquee and not Marque (which has a silent 'ue' on the end, it being French).

I wouldn't use the word anyway, i think there are better words (superlatives ?) to describe top signings.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:48 pm

zuricity wrote:
Anyone tried googling it, or would that be googleing it ? Somehow i prefer the former and
I can't help thinking that it is Marquee and not Marque (which has a silent 'ue' on the end, it being French).

Do I really need to repeat myself again?

It's marque...there is no debate...no discussion...no controversy....nothing to see here

Marque is a 'brand'

Marquee is a 'tent'

Unless you have a player signing for The North Face Outdoor Centre then that's another story ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Do I really need to repeat myself again?

It's marque...there is no debate...no discussion...no controversy....nothing to see here

Marque is a 'brand'

Marquee is a 'tent'

Unless you have a player signing for The North Face Outdoor Centre then that's another story ;-)

marquee is the entrance to a hotel or theatre which is typically where you might make a photo opportunity and thus a "marquee signing".
Marque is a brand and pronounced mark.
Last edited by Alex Sapphire on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:03 pm

I would just like to throw a French spanner in the works.... what about Marquer?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:13 pm

this thread is marqueer.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ronk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm

Original Dub wrote:
ronk wrote:

If everyone was calling Hughes clueless, then there had to have been certain things he didn't have a clue about.

Now there are two very important things to note - not everyone thought Hughes was "cluless". In fact, it was a minority from what I could tell, so that's not a very good example.

Also, this thread is not an isolated incident. It is becoming commonplace over the last year and if the top clubs are saying we are shabby in the way we are going about our business, then there must be some element of truth there.

You see ronky, I never said "If everyone is calling you a junkie, then you are a junkie".

OR

I'm just surprised that you'd accept "mob rules" so easily. You wouldn't normally. I'll take the insults we've been getting over the stuff I've been hearing about other clubs. We're saints in comparison.

A last minute deal falling through is not the end of the world. Gago I can handle (they were trying to screw us on price), Mariga I'm more irritated about. He should have got a work permit and it's not acceptable that we were delayed so much. I can see why Mancini wouldn't have appreciated the difficulties we might have, but we've had those problems before and we should have been more alert and more pro-active.

What we need in some ways is to get the media on the war-path about the work permit being refused/delayed. It's not a bad story, a little prompting might work wonders.

It's a shame we didn't get our guy, but in all honesty, I'm actually a little glad that we had a nice high profile failure simply because we didn't get desperate and stuck to our guns. That will send a good message in future negotiations. We'll (or someone will) get Gago for less in the summer.
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm

ronk wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
ronk wrote:

OR

I'm just surprised that you'd accept "mob rules" so easily. You wouldn't normally. I'll take the insults we've been getting over the stuff I've been hearing about other clubs. We're saints in comparison.

A last minute deal falling through is not the end of the world. Gago I can handle (they were trying to screw us on price), Mariga I'm more irritated about. He should have got a work permit and it's not acceptable that we were delayed so much. I can see why Mancini wouldn't have appreciated the difficulties we might have, but we've had those problems before and we should have been more alert and more pro-active.

What we need in some ways is to get the media on the war-path about the work permit being refused/delayed. It's not a bad story, a little prompting might work wonders.

It's a shame we didn't get our guy, but in all honesty, I'm actually a little glad that we had a nice high profile failure simply because we didn't get desperate and stuck to our guns. That will send a good message in future negotiations. We'll (or someone will) get Gago for less in the summer.

I'm not "accepting it" mate, I'm just growing a little concerned that it keeps cropping up more thatn any other club that's doing transfers. Look at the size of the transfers Real threw around and not one selling club gave out about the way they did busines, nor did Inter with the complicated Eto'o/Ibra deal.

I'm not following a mob, nor do I want us to get ripped off, I just want us to be so professional that it was a pleasure to do business with us.... I'm sure we'll get there, but you have to admit, every time there's a transfer on the cards most of us are hoping it doesn't drag on like nearly all the other nig ones!

I'm with you on the rest of your post though!
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum