Real 'Bottled It'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Real 'Bottled It'

Postby Socrates » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm

I don't know if Milan bottled it, nor do I care. I care that he said it. If they gave prizes for PR cock ups then Typical Cookie would have a very full mantelpiece. I don't know if he is good behind the scenes or not, he certainly hasn't delivered that much yet on the marketing side - as said above - just deals that were on a plate for him(UAE) or aren't necessarily very good long term value(Umbro) but he does know how to talk big. As well as how to talk daft...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Burt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Socrates wrote:I don't know if Milan bottled it, nor do I care. I care that he said it. If they gave prizes for PR cock ups then Typical Cookie would have a very full mantelpiece. I don't know if he is good behind the scenes or not, he certainly hasn't delivered that much yet on the marketing side - as said above - just deals that were on a plate for him(UAE) or aren't necessarily very good long term value(Umbro) but he does know how to talk big. As well as how to talk daft...

Yes Cratey fella. He talked big by saying that we're gunna be the biggest club in the world mate.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:52 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:
So you admit that we are no longer have the worst people involved in football for doing transfer deals?

I've no idea what you're talking about but if you're trying to attribute that as a quote of mine it's not. We've attracted a lot of bad publicity, more than most, or all, other clubs, some of which may be unmerited but some of which may be deserved.

You're pretending you know the truth of which is which without a single fact to back it up & I'm asking the question as to why we keep getting these comments (& the transfer window is just a part of it btw). I'll continue to ask it if we continue to get this kind of reaction.

If you can prove there's no problem then I'll be happy but unless you have personal knowledge of what occurred you're just interpreting reports as it suits you. I'm saying I don't have the same faith in Marwood Cook & co to instantly believe it. If you do then good luck. I hope I end up feeling the same.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby the_georgian_genius » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 pm

Socrates wrote:I don't know if Milan bottled it, nor do I care. I care that he said it. If they gave prizes for PR cock ups then Typical Cookie would have a very full mantelpiece. I don't know if he is good behind the scenes or not, he certainly hasn't delivered that much yet on the marketing side - as said above - just deals that were on a plate for him(UAE) or aren't necessarily very good long term value(Umbro) but he does know how to talk big. As well as how to talk daft...

i think Garry Cook is an excellent business man but he needs to keep his mouth shut. Infact i would guarentee if he hadn't said all those things he would be getting hailed as a genius. Just because he said when not if we beat united and go to wembley, that Thaskin was a great guy to play golf with, that milan bottled it and inducted rosler into the rags hall of fame doesn't mean he is shit at his job, just means he should keep his mouth shut.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Socrates » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:54 pm

Burt wrote:

Yes Cratey fella. He talked big by saying that we're gunna be the biggest club in the world mate.

Yes he sometimes talks big AND daft at the same time. Should have made that clear Burlington.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby symiblue » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:09 am

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about on Cook. So there have been some comments in the press, so what. I can't complete a detailed appraisal of his performance, and neither can anyone else on the forum, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone. There will always be comments about transfer deals that have gone wrong but I don't believe that our approach is any worse than other clubs and the criticism from RM is laughable.
"That's great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on."
John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker did not know who he was.
symiblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Bellamy

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:17 am

symiblue wrote:I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about on Cook. So there have been some comments in the press, so what. I can't complete a detailed appraisal of his performance, and neither can anyone else on the forum, but I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the way things have gone. There will always be comments about transfer deals that have gone wrong but I don't believe that our approach is any worse than other clubs and the criticism from RM is laughable.

I wouldn't trust Real or the agent as far as I could throw them or any of the other people with axes to grind in the past but I can't find any shining lights of truth amongst our people either, so I'm questioning whether or not we're the slick operators that some say we are.

The evidence on both sides is sketchy but one thing's for sure; it keeps appearing in the media & that in itself is something that we should try to avoid.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby symiblue » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:30 am

I hadn't realised that truth was an important factor in running a football club or any business for that matter. If the press weren't having a go at Cook, they would surely be having a go at someone else at the club....so be it - fuck em.
"That's great, tell him he's Pele and get him back on."
John Lambie, Partick Thistle manager, when told a concussed striker did not know who he was.
symiblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Bellamy

Postby Burt » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:46 am

Socrates wrote:
Burt wrote:

Yes he sometimes talks big AND daft at the same time. Should have made that clear Burlington.

So you think he's daft for bigging us up eh mate. Yet you're contradicting yourself or maybe you're covering your tracks by "should have made that clear" mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I rest my case yer honor:o)
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby Socrates » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:01 am

Burt wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Burt wrote:

So you think he's daft for bigging us up eh mate. Yet you're contradicting yourself or maybe you're covering your tracks by "should have made that clear" mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I rest my case yer honor:o)

Oh God, I forgot your comprehension skills. Talking big when we've won fuck all yet makes us look stupid, it's bad PR. Big and daft aren't mutually exclusive. Take yourself, you could be small and daft or you could be big and daft...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby john68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 am

The plain fact is that we don't know the truth and we are unlikely to ever find out.
The second plain fact is that City have been on the recieving end of some very heavy media criticism and some heavy criticism from several other clubs.
Wooders and Ted are correct to ask the questions but more importantly those questions about our transfer behaviour and policy should be asked within the club and answers found.
Whether the club and Cook are behaving impeccably or not, City certainly have a public perception problem that needs to be addressed quickly.

Regarding Cook's New York statement, I thought that was adequately addressed by the poster on here who attended the function and explained the circumstances.
It is easy to find scapegoats without knowing all the facts.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 am

the_georgian_genius wrote:i think Garry Cook is an excellent business man but he needs to keep his mouth shut. Infact i would guarentee if he hadn't said all those things he would be getting hailed as a genius.

do you think you might be getting a bit giddy there?
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby btajim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:54 pm

Points taken - but the Transfers of many of the Summer arrivals went through really smoothly. Barry was flirting with Liverpool all the previous Summer yet he changed from being seriously linked to signing for City in a matter of hours. Ditto Toure and Adebayor. Nothing like the long draw out sagas we had with other Players. Although I was starting to think Tevez would never sign.

Perhaps we need to eat a slice of humble pie and admit that we're not yet an attractive proposition for Marquee style signings to come ply their trade at City. Kaka went to Real Madrid, Eto'o to Inter Milan etc. Big names. Champions League Football should help in this respect. Not the Chief Executive Officer.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:03 pm

I wish people would stop saying fucking Marquee

It's MARQUE

FFS
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:09 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I wish people would stop saying fucking Marquee

It's MARQUE

FFS

Spoilsport.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

It's MARQUE

FFS

Spoilsport.

I don't mind it once or twice Teddy but it's like the Churchill/Meercat adverts...just not funny anymore...they need to be told
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby btajim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:12 pm

It's MARQUE

FFS

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marque - and you're correct.

*doffs cap*
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Paul68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:24 pm

It's MARQUE

FFS

Don't think they in tent ed to...

gets coat...
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby ian494 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm

btajim wrote:

It's MARQUE

FFS

*doffs cap*

No he is wrong.

adj. Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity: The team is hoping to sign a marquee player.

from the OED:-

marquee

• noun 1 chiefly Brit. a large tent used for social or commercial functions. 2 N. Amer. a roof-like projection over the entrance to a theatre, hotel, or other building. 3 before another noun N. Amer. leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player.
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Beeks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:53 pm

ian494 wrote:
btajim wrote:

It's MARQUE

FFS

*doffs cap*

No he is wrong.

adj. Being an athlete of exceptional skill and popularity: The team is hoping to sign a marquee player.

from the OED:-

marquee

• noun 1 chiefly Brit. a large tent used for social or commercial functions. 2 N. Amer. a roof-like projection over the entrance to a theatre, hotel, or other building. 3 before another noun N. Amer. leading; pre-eminent: a marquee player.

Who's got the fucking english degree?

A) Me

B) You

C) Some clueless website
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum