Friday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Friday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 am

Brian Marwood's role in spotlight as Manchester City deny discontent
Are there signs of renewed discontent at Manchester City? The sacking of Mark Hughes caused upheaval although the measured start Roberto Mancini has made – plus a relatively comfortable run of games – has calmed matters.
But now there are rumours – flatly rejected by the club – of tensions and claims that City missed out on January transfers targets and ended up, in Adam Johnson, with a player the manager did not regard as essential.
City refute the claims as the work of disenchanted agents and those frozen out of the new regime. They point out that Mancini watched DVDs of Johnson, a player he was not overly familiar with, and sanctioned the move and that attempts to sign the likes of Fernando Gago were thwarted by inflated demands. That may well be true although the fact that there are murmurings of unhappiness, from whatever quarter, inevitably leads the debate back to the role at City played by Brian Marwood, who, certainly, championed the signing of Johnson.
Marwood is the City's "football administration officer", a title that does not exist at any other club. What does it signify? And is Marwood really a problem at City or merely the victim of those feeling sore because of Hughes's departure?
The truth may lie between the two. City certainly feel there is a vendetta against Marwood, who is part of the club's curiously named "executive leadership team" (does that mean board?) established by chief executive Garry Cook, who brought the former winger from Nike, where the pair had worked together.
Apparently it was Hughes who insisted that Marwood was not referred to as the club's director of football. That sounded too grand. It was also a clear sign that the manager did not really want the new man. Who could blame him?
This was Marwood's first job at a club since he retired from playing in 1994.
And Hughes had his own ideas. The 'vision thing' à la Arsène Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson, is a solo task. It is not a collective. Whatever protests City make, it is undeniable that Marwood played a central role in Hughes's departure and therefore is an important player at the club and in its politics.

Manchester City are likely to make a fresh move for Real Madrid midfielder Fernando Gago in the summer, City boss Roberto Mancini has confirmed. The Guardian

And City also want to bring Lazio striker Mauro Zarate back to England to replace Robinho - the Argentine previously had a spell at Birmingham. Goal.com

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Egypt striker Mohamed Zidan, who plays for Borussia Dortmund, is being chased by Manchester United, Arsenal and Barcelona — according to his dad. The Sun

Manchester United are resigned to losing Nemanja Vidic in the summer - with AC Milan ready to rival Real Madrid's £20m attempt to prise him away. Daily Mirror

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to sign Brazilian wonderkid Wellington Silva after a trial with the Londoners. Daily Mirror

The Gunners boss has also apparently stepped up the chase for £14m France striker Loic Remy, dubbed the 'new Thierry Henry'. The Sun

Veteran striker Paul Dickov is wanted by Leeds and Derby after being released by Leicester. Daily Mirror

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish is trying to sign 17-year-old Bolivian star Gabriel Alvarez from Callejas for next season. Daily Mirror

QPR have offered former Fulham defender Moritz Volz, who is a free agent, a contract until the end of the season.The Sun

WAG OF THE DAY - Eva Gonzalez
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... a-gonzalez

OTHER BOLLOX
Portsmouth goalkeeper David James is to take a pay cut as he does not want to inflict any more financial pressure on the cash-strapped club. The Daily Mirror

Aston Villa defender Nicky Shorey, who is on loan at Fulham, could be in trouble with Fifa after playing for his third club this season - breaking the world governing body's rule of only being allowed to play for two clubs in a season.
The Daily Mail

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks is looking into selling his company's NHL ice hockey team the Dallas Stars.
The Guardian

Premier League clubs are set to pocket £1bn thanks to a TV deal which the league's chief executive Richard Scudamore is ready to announce as he publishes the figures for the worldwide rights to screen top Premier League matches. The Sun

French left-back Patrice Evra says Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson "dances up and down like a child" when United win.
The Sun

Five Portsmouth fans will walk into the Premier League's luxurious offices in London on Friday looking for answers as to why their club has become football's financial basket case.
The Times

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger cancelled a day off for his Arsenal players ahead of this weekend's match against Chelsea because he was so angry after Sunday's 3-1 defeat by Manchester United.
Daily Mirror
Last edited by Chinners on Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Friday's B*ll*x

Postby btajim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 am

Interesting piece on Marwood. I'd heard that he was part of a conspiracy to rid Hughes from the Club - yet now he's being blamed for failing to land top talent.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Scatman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am

something important is missing
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Paul68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:30 am

Scatman wrote:something important is missing

yep...

chinners out!
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Scatman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:33 am

jimmygrimble2 wrote:

yep...

chinners out!

On a separate note, who was it who wanted the team photo you have at the bottom of your posts?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:35 am

Chinners wrote:Brian Marwood's role in spotlight as Manchester City deny discontent
Are there signs of renewed discontent at Manchester City? The sacking of Mark Hughes caused upheaval although the measured start Roberto Mancini has made – plus a relatively comfortable run of games – has calmed matters.
But now there are rumours – flatly rejected by the club – of tensions and claims that City missed out on January transfers targets and ended up, in Adam Johnson, with a player the manager did not regard as essential.
City refute the claims as the work of disenchanted agents and those frozen out of the new regime. They point out that Mancini watched DVDs of Johnson, a player he was not overly familiar with, and sanctioned the move and that attempts to sign the likes of Fernando Gago were thwarted by inflated demands. That may well be true although the fact that there are murmurings of unhappiness, from whatever quarter, inevitably leads the debate back to the role at City played by Brian Marwood, who, certainly, championed the signing of Johnson.
Marwood is the City's "football administration officer", a title that does not exist at any other club. What does it signify? And is Marwood really a problem at City or merely the victim of those feeling sore because of Hughes's departure?
The truth may lie between the two. City certainly feel there is a vendetta against Marwood, who is part of the club's curiously named "executive leadership team" (does that mean board?) established by chief executive Garry Cook, who brought the former winger from Nike, where the pair had worked together.
Apparently it was Hughes who insisted that Marwood was not referred to as the club's director of football. That sounded too grand. It was also a clear sign that the manager did not really want the new man. Who could blame him?
And Hughes had his own ideas. The 'vision thing' à la Arsène Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson, is a solo task. It is not a collective. Whatever protests City make, it is undeniable that Marwood played a central role in Hughes's departure and therefore is an important player at the club and in its politics.

Love the way it opens with a question rather than a statement and then meanders through a forest of 'rumours', 'mays' and 'apparentlys' all leading to the conclusion that the author has as much idea as I do on Marwood.

Cookie will be pleased that its someone elses turn to get it in the neck though.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 am

Ooops ... sorted now!
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Chinners wrote:Brian Marwood's role in spotlight as Manchester City deny discontent

Love the way it opens with a question rather than a statement and then meanders through a forest of 'rumours', 'mays' and 'apparentlys' all leading to the conclusion that the author has as much idea as I do on Marwood.

Cookie will be pleased that its someone elses turn to get it in the neck though.

the one thing we do know about Marwood is he is the ONLY member of our Executive Leadership team who knows football to a professional standard, so he is implicated in all matters football. No surprise he is implicated in Hughes departure.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:47 am

Chinners wrote:

Ooops ... sorted now!

worth waiting for too ;-)
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Paul68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:30 am

Scatman wrote:
jimmygrimble2 wrote:

yep...

chinners out!

On a separate note, who was it who wanted the team photo you have at the bottom of your posts?

Crossan mate - in off topic desert island films I think
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

Footballers Rally Round For Mido Aid...
With their huge wage packets, arrogant attitudes, colossal stupidity, strange fondness for MMMMMF love trysts and habit of all sleeping with each other's girlfriends, it's easy to forget that footballers are people just like the rest of us.

But top Premier League players have shown that they do have a heart after all, by coming to the aid of a footballer who has fallen on tragically hard times.

When the news emerged that West Ham United had signed the Egyptian star Mido on a pitiful £1,000-a-week deal, top footballers put club rivalries and paternity tests aside to rally round the beleaguered forward.

"It really makes you sit up and think," said Rio Ferdinand. "Only a year or so ago, we played against Wigan, where he was at the time, and he was doing great. He was on 25, 30 - okay, nothing special, but enough to get by.

"To see him reduced to living on the money a GP or top civil servant would get, well.."

Rio was briefly too upset to speak, but eventually recovered enough to continue, dabbing at his eyes with a hankie made from ripped-up pieces of a Van Gogh canvas.

"I even went round his house once," said the Manchester United defender. "We had a quiet evening in - I think we filled his koi carp lake with caviar for a merk. And now he's ended up like this."

"I heard he don't even have a yacht, poor b***ard," added Joe Cole.

But out of the understandable shock at the plight of Mido has emerged a determination to do something. The footballer, humanitarian and Welshman Craig Bellamy takes up the story.

"See, right," said Bellamy. "A bunch of us have got together and we're having an appeal for Mido to get him just a few essentials. Michael Owen donated one of his old Porsches, Steven Gerrard very kindly gave a Rolex and a diamond the size of a massive Rottweiler turd, and a couple of the Chelsea lads had a rummage around and got him a slightly used FHM cover model to tide him over until he's back on his feet again."

Rio is planning a charity single with 50 Cent to raise money for Mido, and the PFA has asked that every fan attending a match this weekend makes a suggested donation of five pounds as an emergency fund for the Egyptian.

A minute's silence will be held at grounds around the country prior to kick-offs this weekend.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Paul68 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:55 am

Quality.. Chinners in!
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Return to The Maine Football forum