Vasilis Torosidis

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Vasilis Torosidis

Postby Blueboylewis » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 am

What are peoples opinions on this guy?
Would it be worth a bid in the summer and is he good enough?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 54,00.html

Manchester City are considering a summer swoop for Olympiakos defender Vasilis Torosidis, according to his agent.

The Greece international, who was linked with moves to Liverpool and Blackburn in the January transfer window, was also wanted by Sunderland boss Steve Bruce.

But the Black Cats baulked at the 7million euros asking price for the right-back and were only prepared to table a bid of 4million euros.

Eastlands boss Roberto Mancini is unlikely to be hindered by financial constraints given the backing at his disposal and is expected to make a decision over any move after the World Cup.

Torosidis' agent, Giorgos Kazianis of the All Star Consultancy Agency, confirmed that his client would welcome the opportunity to move to the Premier League.

City had been monitoring the attack-minded full-back before Mancini's appointment and only elected not to make a move in January as the Italian tactician wanted further scouting reports.

Real interest
Kazianis told skysports.com: "The possibilities for Vasilis to play football in England for a Premier League club are good because I have had contact in the last 20 days with Manchester City.

"City called us and asked a few things about Torosidis. They showed real interest and they told us that they will keep their eye on Vasilis during the World Cup.

"They know him very well but since Roberto Mancini didn't know the player very well, they decided not to do anything in January.

"They told us that they will keep watching him until the World Cup and we will speak again in the summer. They know that the clause is 7million euros and, of course, Vasilis would love to play for such a big club."

Intention
Kazianis confirmed that Sunderland made an enquiry over Torosidis' availability but were not prepared to meet Olympiakos' valuation of the 24-year-old.

He added: "The interest of Sunderland was big. I spoke with the directors of the club and their intention was to make an offer of 4million euros to Olympiakos.

"I told them that Olympiakos doesn't want to sell the player with this money.

"The clause is 7million euros and this was the main reason that Sunderland didn't make an official offer."
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Vasilis Torosidis

Postby Crossie » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:30 am

Sounds like the latest seasonal flu.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Wooders » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 am

"Liverpool" and "Blackburn" wanted him - I don't watch greek football so don't know anything about him but if liverpools transfer record is anything to go by you would be best to steer well clear of anyone they wanted
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Wooders » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 am

his name also sounds like a scientific term for a sore throat
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:46 am

24 year old player who is still playing in Greek league. '

No thank you.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Esky » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 am

My old flatmate is from Xanthi, the club Torosidis played for before moving to Olympiakos. According to him he's by leagues the best defender in the division and there are parallels between him and Corluka when we brought Vedran over from Croatia.

Apparently there's been a lot of interest in him over the past 12 months but nothing's really come of it. He can play anywhere across the backline but was always played on the right at Xanthi.
Esky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Blue Ship

Return to The Maine Football forum