GARETH BARRY ANALYSIS

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: GARETH BARRY ANALYSIS

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:Waste of time analysing Gareth Barry, said that in the voting thread.

Now I understand why you have "genius" in your name. Thanks for that.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
the_georgian_genius wrote:Waste of time analysing Gareth Barry, said that in the voting thread.

Now I understand why you have "genius" in your name. Thanks for that.

Well it was. Might as well have analysed Tevez playing with a broken leg.
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby eastlandsblue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:I think you'll find that if we pair him with a holding mid who a can hold rather than standing twenty yards off, b play a waited pass a stride infront rather than a million miles an hour at your knees when you aint ready to recieve it, and can jink and move forwards when he has the ball thus disrupting the opposing line of four or five , you will find that Gareth looks a decent, albeit not wonderful(he never was) player again.Nige's limitations are why Bobby Manc was in the market and why he brought in Vieira, imo. A holding MF who knows how to fall over instead of constantly being penalized would be nice, but hey, why think when you can bare your teeth? But maybe those who criticise Barry so vehemently think its Nige whose been playing all those weighted through balls to Bellers, lol . However, if running round like a headless chicken passing the ball into impossible stuations before anyone has had a chance to gather breath is what's required, didn't we have a bloke from switzerland who did that rather well?lol

AreyouanalienIvneverreadsomuchjibberish
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby irblinx » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 pm

Nige wrote:he just wont carry the ball at any point in the game. His first and only option is spin, stop and pass. This wasnt the barry we saw at the start of the season or in a Villa or England shirt. he has it in his locker but one of three things is keeping it locked away.

1) bobby manc demanding he plays in a certain way.
2) physical issue like a nagging injury or carrying too much weight
3) mental issue - has all his confidence been swallowed up by the Villa fans?

1 week rest and play ireland in there with NDJ. one of our CM players has to carry the ball which Stevie can do.

If that is the reason I'd like to know why he was listening to Mancini when Hughes was still in charge, has been average at best since the derby in September. Must be something physical IMO
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:49 pm

irblinx wrote:
Nige wrote:he just wont carry the ball at any point in the game. His first and only option is spin, stop and pass. This wasnt the barry we saw at the start of the season or in a Villa or England shirt. he has it in his locker but one of three things is keeping it locked away.

1) bobby manc demanding he plays in a certain way.
2) physical issue like a nagging injury or carrying too much weight
3) mental issue - has all his confidence been swallowed up by the Villa fans?

1 week rest and play ireland in there with NDJ. one of our CM players has to carry the ball which Stevie can do.

If that is the reason I'd like to know why he was listening to Mancini when Hughes was still in charge, has been average at best since the derby in September. Must be something physical IMO

The recent games where he's often ended up on the left proving how slow he is have made him look worse than ever though & it's time Mancini wrote it off as something that won't work. Imo (as the drug addled space alien posted above) he's looked worse when paired with DeJong. Hughes was using him as the holding player in an attacking team early season & he did it really well but him & DeJong together isn't great.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Right just seen this. I was at the game yesterday and watched Barry very closely. I thought this “analyse a player” idea would bring a lot of constructive analysis but it appears, with the odd exception, that its just encouraged a load of throw away comments like “he’s shite”.

Anyway Ill give my opinion, Barry yesterday on the whole was poor, he certainly seems to be going through a bad spell. However the way he is being played at the moment doesn’t help him. I do not think De Jong and Barry should play in the same team. His best games (i.e. Blackburn away first game) were when De Jong didn’t play. They just get in each others way and thus Barry becomes pretty much ineffective, which was the case yesterday. This happened throughout the first half and it was crying out to be changed.

Second half came and mancini eventually changes it, brining Bellamy off (ridiculous if you ask me but will save that for a different thread) and brings ANOTHER holding midfielder on (we were still losing at this point). He pushes Barry out wide. Now for a player that hasn’t been playing well to then be asked to do a job in a position he will never be able to play is just silly imo. He has no pace and no ability to take anyone on. He will never play well in this position as simply hasn’t got the ability to do so. Then as if he hasn’t had enough Mancini decides to take bridge off and puts Barry as left back. Well at least that’s where he seemed to be asked to play. Absolute madness. For me its one or the other with Dejong and Barry. Id personally play dejong on the tougher games and drop him against the lesser opposition like yesterday. Trying to accommodate Barry out of position wont work for Barry or the team.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 am

Lee's Alter Ego wrote:Right just seen this. I was at the game yesterday and watched Barry very closely. I thought this “analyse a player” idea would bring a lot of constructive analysis but it appears, with the odd exception, that its just encouraged a load of throw away comments like “he’s shite”.

Anyway Ill give my opinion, Barry yesterday on the whole was poor, he certainly seems to be going through a bad spell. However the way he is being played at the moment doesn’t help him. I do not think De Jong and Barry should play in the same team. His best games (i.e. Blackburn away first game) were when De Jong didn’t play. They just get in each others way and thus Barry becomes pretty much ineffective, which was the case yesterday. This happened throughout the first half and it was crying out to be changed.

Second half came and mancini eventually changes it, brining Bellamy off (ridiculous if you ask me but will save that for a different thread) and brings ANOTHER holding midfielder on (we were still losing at this point). He pushes Barry out wide. Now for a player that hasn’t been playing well to then be asked to do a job in a position he will never be able to play is just silly imo. He has no pace and no ability to take anyone on. He will never play well in this position as simply hasn’t got the ability to do so. Then as if he hasn’t had enough Mancini decides to take bridge off and puts Barry as left back. Well at least that’s where he seemed to be asked to play. Absolute madness. For me its one or the other with Dejong and Barry. Id personally play dejong on the tougher games and drop him against the lesser opposition like yesterday. Trying to accommodate Barry out of position wont work for Barry or the team.

BELLERS CAME OFF BECAUSE HE WAS UNDER APR..BAD CROSSING...BAD FINAL BALL...JUST WASNT AT THE RACES MATE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Lees Alter Ego » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 am

I agree with that mate but given we were losing id of pushed Bellamy further up the pitch rather than playing him wide left. Hes not a midfielder. If he wants someone to play that position why not play one of our 2 left mids, Johnson or Petrov? he brings johnson on........on the right wing. We had far to many people out of position yesterday.
Lees Alter Ego
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:35 am

Lee's Alter Ego wrote:I agree with that mate but given we were losing id of pushed Bellamy further up the pitch rather than playing him wide left. Hes not a midfielder. If he wants someone to play that position why not play one of our 2 left mids, Johnson or Petrov? he brings johnson on........on the right wing. We had far to many people out of position yesterday.

ITS BAFFLING ME AS WELL MATE..PLAYERS OUT OF POSITION.....I WANT TO SEE US PLAY TO OUR STRENGHS ON TUESDAY.
NO EXCUSES.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby dazby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 am

I was absolutely bladdered at 1am on Saturday night so I sort of saw. The best analysis my alcohol riddled brain could come up with watching the first half was "we are getting slaughtered in midfield."

Best I can do I'm afraid. Will do better next time.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

He has perfected the art of the Didi Hamann trademarked 'stick your fat arse out and fall over slowly' foul which ref's always, somehow, award a freekick for :-)
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:58 pm

The Actim Index which takes into account all the contributions a player makes during a match and is the official source for the EPL has Barry as the No.10 midfielder in the country.Higher than any of our other midfielders.Obviously he doesn't run up and down the pitch at full pelt swearing his head off or make crunching tackles thus abstaining him from legend status but calling him a empty shirt as has been stated previously is a bit OTT.He does more than any other midfielder we have and gets slated for it on here cos he doesn't have the pace of some.People should get over his lack of speed and see and pay attention to what else he does.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby zuricity » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Image

He has perfected the art of the Didi Hamann trademarked 'stick your fat arse out and fall over slowly' foul which ref's always, somehow, award a freekick for :-)

I agree there MRM and unfortunately , he's ignored passing. tackling and change of acceleration needed in midfield.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum