If portsmouth go completely bust

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: If portsmouth go completely bust

Postby Socrates » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:33 am

Already covered this on another thread, the rules are there for anyone who can be arsed to use google to find them. The rule is very vague as the rules allow the EPL descretion on what results they award when fixtures cannot be completed. That said, the rule is very clear in one respect - it allows them to declare a result in the incomplete games but there is no mention anywhere of games that have been played already being scrubbed. If it isn't in the rule book as an option then they simply cannot do it...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:36 am

Manx Blue wrote:John...I'll Give you a scenario...Chelsea get a win and a draw from "a Club" over the course of the season. Manchester U***d get a win in their first game and have to play "A Club" on the last day of the season. They need to win to claim the title, but the club goes bust on the day before the last game of the season.

So you are telling me then that a club could win the title (or get relegated) on the basis of points and possibly goals being awarded for games that didn't take place. With respect, absolute poppycock and balderdash Sir!

It wont happen, but yes, that is exactly what happens. I know what you are saying and that it seems ridiculous, but:

See:
Newport County
Aldershot

I can't find the article, but a club in the unibond ceased trading about 2 or 3 years ago, the FA gave 3 points to the clubs who they were still to play, which at the end of the season DID give them a team 2 more points than the 4th place team, although the actual points earned would have seen them finish the other way round. The team WERE promoted

Honestly mate, that the way it works
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Manx Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:40 am

http://fchd.info/lghist/fl/fl1962.htm

Go to Division Four and Accrington. I'm Chairman at amateur level club, and when we withdrew a team from our Association, the points and goals were removed from the records. Now surely these rules are the same throughout asociations (the IOM is part of EFA), and the Prem which is a competition run by the FA??
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Manx Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:47 am

http://fchd.info/lghist/fl/fl1992.htm

and there's Aldershot...

I respectfully beg to differ, and am going to bed. However, I would like to point out I'm not Garry Cook, and thus not showing major signs of concern regarding our trejectory!!! ;)

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 am

Manx Blue wrote:http://fchd.info/lghist/fl/fl1962.htm

Go to Division Four and Accrington. I'm Chairman at amateur level club, and when we withdrew a team from our Association, the points and goals were removed from the records. Now surely these rules are the same throughout asociations (the IOM is part of EFA), and the Prem which is a competition run by the FA??

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/~/media/File ... 91-127.pdf

Doesnt clarify...............however it does say that each case is treated on its merits, which I suppose will explain the discrepancy between your experience and what happened with the unibond club
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby ant london » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 am

I can see Pompey going into administration but too many people have a vested interest in the club (banks, individuals, HM Revenue & Customs....and Joe Public) to let the club fold completely.

The business has most value when operating as a football club. It's break up value (selling off players and developing real estate) I would argue would get nowhere near to paying off its debts. The way that people get their money back (or at least most of their money) is controlled administration.

Portsmouth will almost certainly end up there, be docked points, go down BUT the points/goals accrued against Pompey by the rest of the Prem will stand and they will complete the season (I hope)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:04 am

objectively its fairly shocking we are even having this debate, imagine if it were us?

ah well, the six points are more important to me.

can picture the dippers getting into the CL on the back of something like this.
The Man In Blue

Postby Manx Blue » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Think this was on football focus today wasn't it? And Pompeys results do get annulled like I said

Manx Blue

Postby gillie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:21 pm

Manx Blue wrote:Think this was on football focus today wasn't it? And Pompeys results do get annulled like I said

Blessing in disguise for us at the mo at least we can say we were robbed of 4th instead of just not being good enough.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum