IRELAND AND GIVEN.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: IRELAND AND GIVEN.

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:51 pm

Sound.

Onwards and upwards and all that!
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:59 pm

edge275 wrote:Vhero what is your disability called if you don't mind me asking?

It's just a form of dyslexia I dunno how to spell it mate. Nothing that shows you wouldn't tell looking at me or talking to me.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:Sound.

Onwards and upwards and all that!

Good thank you for finally understanding.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:16 pm

edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
edge275 wrote:The Ireland conundrum is simple. Play him in an advanced midfield role and reap the rewards.

I'm with you all the way chief. Some players are very adaptable and maybe he just isn't. Top class playmaker who can't play in other positions.

No crime in that. Play him where he's best or sell him to a club that will play him where he's best.

Thinking about it, it's criminal not playing him where he is best. I truly believe he would massively improve our team by playing him where he should be.

When Mancini took over I expected us to switch to a midfield diamond, or the Italian variation of 4-3-1-2. When Vieira was bought, and we bid for Gago, I thought we would end up looking something like this:
---------Gago---------
---Viera--------Barry--
---------Ireland--------
I think unless we try this type of formation Mancini will not see the best of Stephen Ireland. Some Italian managers are influenced by the the thinking of Arigo Sacchi who thought team structure comes before building the team around liberating one individual playmaker. It's looking as though Mancini falls on that side of the argument. It has been interesting because I assumed Mancini would favour the Baggio, Totti types of this world, rather than the Arigo Sacchi approach to the game.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
edge275 wrote:The Ireland conundrum is simple. Play him in an advanced midfield role and reap the rewards.

I'm with you all the way chief. Some players are very adaptable and maybe he just isn't. Top class playmaker who can't play in other positions.

No crime in that. Play him where he's best or sell him to a club that will play him where he's best.

Thinking about it, it's criminal not playing him where he is best. I truly believe he would massively improve our team by playing him where he should be.

When Mancini took over I expected us to switch to a midfield diamond, or the Italian variation of 4-3-1-2. When Vieira was bought, and we bid for Gago, I thought we would end up looking something like this:
---------Gago---------
---Viera--------Barry--
---------Ireland--------
I think unless we try this type of formation Mancini will not see the best of Stephen Ireland. Some Italian managers are influenced by the the thinking of Arigo Sacchi who thought team structure comes before building the team around liberating one individual playmaker. It's looking as though Mancini falls on that side of the argument. It has been interesting because I assumed Mancini would favour the Baggio, Totti types of this world, rather than the Arigo Sacchi approach to the game.

Yeah mate, its looking that way alright, but its early doors for him and hopefully having reviewed the last few performances he knows we have to be more attack minded and aggressive in our approach.

Just watching the Chelsea game and Drogba has just scored his second.

Wow. No problem with cautious play there I can tell you!
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
edge275 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

---------Gago---------
---Viera--------Barry--
---------Ireland--------

Yeah mate, its looking that way alright, but its early doors for him and hopefully having reviewed the last few performances he knows we have to be more attack minded and aggressive in our approach.

Just watching the Chelsea game and Drogba has just scored his second.

Wow. No problem with cautious play there I can tell you!

Arsenal are looking more like a half season team this year like Villa last season.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Yeah Arsenal are as bad as us at the back!

We've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and United this season.

Such a strange season.
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:47 pm

Original Dub wrote:Yeah Arsenal are as bad as us at the back!

We've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and U***d this season.

Such a strange season.

Indeed seems they missing Toure.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:32 pm

actually I just watched more highlights from the match and that ball Ireland gave to put Bridge through was exquisite. He's so dangerous around the box. He should be there more often.
Original Dub

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Ireland hasn't been totally shit, he's been average but very very worryingly consistantly average. Imo the 40 yard wonder pass was not that worthy of mention as he had all the time in the world to play it. I've seen Leeds players hit that ball many times in the recent cup games & would fancy my own chances playing it with that much time. Was anything made of the fantastic control & finish by Ade which was way more impressive?

At the moment Ireland is looking like a squad player rather than a 1st choice player. If he's going to impress Mancini (or Mourinho,) he needs to up his game both creatively & in terms of work rate or someone will be brought in to do his job.

Agree with the sentiment of this thread on Ireland. he's been very average and I mentioned in another thread, that there is no justification on his current form to start him yesterday ahead of SWP, Petrov and AJ.
As for his 40 yard pass, OK, it was great but as you say Ted you have to give credit for Ade who controlled it well and made a fantastic shot to score. Imagine if Benji was at the receiving end of that pass. Enough said.
Furthermore Stevie has made 1 fantastic pass all season whereas Elano was making 2 or 3 a match in his time with us and still a lot of people here think he was shit (OK to be fair Stevie made quite a few last season but the question is, what has happened to him).
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Original Dub wrote:actually I just watched more highlights from the match and that ball Ireland gave to put Bridge through was exquisite. He's so dangerous around the box. He should be there more often.

FUCKINGHELL OD YOUR MORE BIAS BY THE MINUTE WHERE IRELAND IS CONCERNED.

ACTUALLY IRELAND PLAYS TOO MANY ONE TWOS NEAR OR IN THE BOX WHEN HE SHOULD JUST SHOOT...HE HAS MADE MORE WRONG DECISONS ON HIS FINAL BALL THAN HE,S MADE GOOD ONE,S.
SOMETIMES YOUVE JUST GOT TO ADMIT THAT IRELAND IS WAY WAY WAY BELOW PAR COMPARED TO LAST SEASON.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:33 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Original Dub wrote:actually I just watched more highlights from the match and that ball Ireland gave to put Bridge through was exquisite. He's so dangerous around the box. He should be there more often.

ACTUALLY IRELAND PLAYS TOO MANY ONE TWOS NEAR OR IN THE BOX WHEN HE SHOULD JUST SHOOT...HE HAS MADE MORE WRONG DECISONS ON HIS FINAL BALL THAN HE,S MADE GOOD ONE,S.
SOMETIMES YOUVE JUST GOT TO ADMIT THAT IRELAND IS WAY WAY WAY BELOW PAR COMPARED TO LAST SEASON.

He should shoot more but he does play some great passes into the box & if you're going to play those kind of passes a fair few are going to get cut out no matter how well you play it. Otherwise there'd be ten goals per game. He also makes runs that don't get seen til it's too late. Unfortunately Robinho was the best at picking him out.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:54 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I've said in three seperate threads that Ireland is below par compared to last season, only a fucktard would argue that.

But I think there are reasons for this and my point is that even when he's shit in a match, he still makes some fantastic runs and provides at least one killer pass that will unlock a defence. Like the one he played for Ade against Pompey. Like the one I mentioned above when he put Bridge through. I don't think injuries have helped. I don't think him being shifted around has helped and I don't think his tackling and commitment to getting stuck has been good enough.

So there's a few reasons why I think he's below par and what I hope is that he gets a run of about 5 or 6 games as an out and out central attacking midfield playmaker and I think we will reap the rewards.

Like I said, if Bridge had finished that move that Ireland played, we would be looking at his second assist in two games,. The ability to unlock a defence is one of the hardest jobs on the pitch and I think he's one of the best at doing it.

That's not bias mate, that's my honest opinion. If he doesn't play as a playmaker here, he will play as a playmaker at some other top club and I don't want that.
Original Dub

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Original Dub wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

I've said in three seperate threads that Ireland is below par compared to last season, only a fucktard would argue that.

But I think there are reasons for this and my point is that even when he's shit in a match, he still makes some fantastic runs and provides at least one killer pass that will unlock a defence. Like the one he played for Ade against Pompey. Like the one I mentioned above when he put Bridge through. I don't think injuries have helped. I don't think him being shifted around has helped and I don't think his tackling and commitment to getting stuck has been good enough.

So there's a few reasons why I think he's below par and what I hope is that he gets a run of about 5 or 6 games as an out and out central attacking midfield playmaker and I think we will reap the rewards.

Like I said, if Bridge had finished that move that Ireland played, we would be looking at his second assist in two games,. The ability to unlock a defence is one of the hardest jobs on the pitch and I think he's one of the best at doing it.

That's not bias mate, that's my honest opinion. If he doesn't play as a playmaker here, he will play as a playmaker at some other top club and I don't want that.

HE,S BEEN USED IN HIS FAVORITE ROLE THOUGH FOR QUITE A FEW GAMES HASNT HE AND HE STILL PLAYED POORLY?......WE CANT KEEP BLAMING THE MANAGERS WHEN HIS GAME GOES BACKWARDS...IT,S DOWN TO EACH PLAYERS OWN MENTALITY TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER AND IRELAND JUST ISNT DOING THE BIZ LOIKE HE USED TO.

THE THING IS WE CANNOT RISK LETTING ANY PLAYER HAVE A RUN OF GAMES JUST TO SEE IF THEY GET THEIR "MOJO" BACK AND DEFINATLY NOT IN MIDFIELD.....WE GOT BATTERED BY HULL IN MIDFIELD...()IT OBVIOSULY DOESNT HELP WHEN EVERY OTHER PLAYER IS OFF THEIR GAME AS WELL.
A RUN OF GAMES IN THE RESERVES IS MAYBE WHAT HE NEEDS...BARRY CAN JOIN HIM TOO.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Bingo Lewis » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:

agree about his position. sell him and i'll be fucking pissed.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:THE THING IS WE CANNOT RISK LETTING ANY PLAYER HAVE A RUN OF GAMES JUST TO SEE IF THEY GET THEIR "MOJO" BACK AND DEFINATLY NOT IN MIDFIELD

This! I have been trying to explain this for a while now and been coming across all wrong I also agree if he is playing poorly because he is still carrying remains of his injury like you claim here OD then shouldn't he play in reserves or something until he is ready for first team? Would you at least agree with me here? (trying to share points and take what you said on board here don't bite my head off). Also dude what is with you and the caps lately? (carl)
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Postby getdressedmctavish » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:13 pm

Well you guys know more than me if ireland can only play in one position cos I'm fecked if I know what it is apart from the fact it isn't holding or defensive mid. Surely the guy who questioned his physical condition has got it right. Ireland was a lightweight who decided to do the work and add some muscle and stamina. He instantly made mega progress cos he's always been a good footballer. Now he seems to have lost that physical edge and has gone back to being lightweight. The question is why. Head? Granny? Mourning the taffs?feck me, it can't be the latter, lol. One thing for sure, he needs an empty box to run into. Are the two prima donnas up front self negating enough to get out of the way. No, I didn't think so, lol
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Burt » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

Does anyone else smell somethin ere?

Phewwwwwww! I'm holdin my nose cos of the stench......YUCK!!!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:20 pm

getdressedmctavish wrote:Well you guys know more than me if ireland can only play in one position cos I'm fecked if I know what it is apart from the fact it isn't holding or defensive mid. Surely the guy who questioned his physical condition has got it right. Ireland was a lightweight who decided to do the work and add some muscle and stamina. He instantly made mega progress cos he's always been a good footballer. Now he seems to have lost that physical edge and has gone back to being lightweight. The question is why. Head? Granny? Mourning the taffs?feck me, it can't be the latter, lol. One thing for sure, he needs an empty box to run into. Are the two prima donnas up front self negating enough to get out of the way. No, I didn't think so, lol

Positioning most likely mate now he's more central he is mostly pegging back I noticed it in the Hull game he was constantly in the defensive area where to be fair he's not very good at defending it's not what he's good at I think you will agree. However when he's placed further up field he stays further up and links up play and that's where he is strongest. He plays some great balls and scores the odd goal. Most people on here say they hate a player who doesn't peg back but Ireland is bad at defending. Don't get me wrong he does save us on occasion but he is far better attacking and shouldn't be in our area. Is it position or just bad tactics by the manager? I dunno..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum