IRELAND AND GIVEN.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

IRELAND AND GIVEN.

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 pm

IRELAND.
SORRY MATE BUT IM LOSING MY PATEIENCE WITH YOU. YOUR PLAYING CRAP AND HAVE DONE SO FOR FUCKING MONTHS ON END AND IT,S GOT LITTLE TO DO WITH WHERE MANCINI PUTS YOU AS YOUVE BEEN DIRE NO MATTER WHERE YOU HAVE PLAYED.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR GAME?

THE MAGIC HAS GONE....

GIVEN
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU STAYING ON YOUR LINE FOR 88 MINUTES OF THE GAME? WHY WONT YOU COME OFF YOUR FUCKING LINE NOW AND AGAIN....CORNERS IVE YET TO SEE YOU SCREAM OFF YOURE LINE TO CLAIM THE BALL.

IF IT WASNT FOR YOUR GREAT SHOT STOPPING QUALITIES YOUD BE FUCKING PAP.

GLAD I GOT THAT OFF MY CHEST.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Re: IRELAND AND GIVEN.

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 pm

I still wouldn't swap Given for any other Prem keeper.

I'd like to see SWP playing instead of Ireland though. I think a big part of Ireland's success last season was down to Robinho, they played well together and last season's form of our Stevie is fast becoming a distant memory.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
GIVEN
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU STAYING ON YOUR LINE FOR 88 MINUTES OF THE GAME? WHY WONT YOU COME OFF YOUR FUCKING LINE NOW AND AGAIN....CORNERS IVE YET TO SEE YOU SCREAM OFF YOURE LINE TO CLAIM THE BALL.

IF IT WASNT FOR YOUR GREAT SHOT STOPPING QUALITIES YOUD BE FUCKING PAP.

GLAD I GOT THAT OFF MY CHEST.

I did see him do this today, I think it was from a corner. I was quite surprised and shit it he was going to fuck it up.

Given is the least of todays worries mate
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Given has never been one to dominate his penalty area (or even his 6 yard box!) His game, and reputation, has been built on his incredible shot-stopping abilities.

He is a very good 'keeper but people shouldn't be distracted by spectacular saves as quite often these could/should have been prevented by the 'keeper stopping the build up earlier. IMO Joe Hart is the better all round goalie and I really hope we hang on to him.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby bluej » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:30 pm

Whilst I agree Given should come for the ball more often, what impact did it have on todays game? He couldn't have done anything about either goal.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby King Kev » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:11 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:IRELAND.
SORRY MATE BUT IM LOSING MY PATEIENCE WITH YOU. YOUR PLAYING CRAP AND HAVE DONE SO FOR FUCKING MONTHS ON END AND IT,S GOT LITTLE TO DO WITH WHERE MANCINI PUTS YOU AS YOUVE BEEN DIRE NO MATTER WHERE YOU HAVE PLAYED.

THE MAGIC HAS GONE....
I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see a thread on here last week dedicated to something that Nani had done for the scum.

I was waiting for a thread about the fantastic 40 yard ball our very own Stevie Ireland had played to Adebayor for our first goal. It seems that people were too busy wanking over the mune to even notice what Superman had done.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 am

King Kev wrote:

THE MAGIC HAS GONE....
I was disappointed (but not surprised) to see a thread on here last week dedicated to something that Nani had done for the scum.

I was waiting for a thread about the fantastic 40 yard ball our very own Stevie Ireland had played to Adebayor for our first goal. It seems that people were too busy wanking over the mune to even notice what Superman had done.

Finally somebody else is getting as stressed out with Ireland as me (Carl) as for the 40 yard ball I agree it was a great/fantastic ball but you can't really excuse how shit he been playing for 1 fucking good ball? I am just happy people are starting to see how fucking shocking Ireland has been this season and not trying to make excuses for the guy (except for Kev obviously as obviously 1 good ball all season means we should play him every game eh?).

As for Given I never really noticed him not coming off the line but yeah that's gonna cause some serious problems. I have been too busy watching our defence trying to stop average attackers and fail. Boyata hasn't been upto the task and really who can blame him being shoved into the team at such a young age. Ned has a ton more experience and should be played ahead but Mancini thinks Boyata is better and experience obviously means fuck all.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby King Kev » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:26 am

Wow! I was just pointing out that some people are quick to critisize our own but praise the scum!

Ireland is nowhere near his best at them moment, personally I believe he can't play alongside Barry, whatever the reason he still isn't playing as bad as you make out.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:35 am

Ireland hasn't been totally shit, he's been average but very very worryingly consistantly average. Imo the 40 yard wonder pass was not that worthy of mention as he had all the time in the world to play it. I've seen Leeds players hit that ball many times in the recent cup games & would fancy my own chances playing it with that much time. Was anything made of the fantastic control & finish by Ade which was way more impressive?

At the moment Ireland is looking like a squad player rather than a 1st choice player. If he's going to impress Mancini (or Mourinho,) he needs to up his game both creatively & in terms of work rate or someone will be brought in to do his job.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby The Man In Blue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:38 am

i had such high hopes for the little bald fucker.

i really hope he rediscovers some form as i would hate to see him playing for another club.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am

King Kev wrote:Wow! I was just pointing out that some people are quick to critisize our own but praise the scum!

Ireland is nowhere near his best at them moment, personally I believe he can't play alongside Barry, whatever the reason he still isn't playing as bad as you make out.

I think tbh you hit the nail on the head with Barry ever since we signed him Ireland has been a lot poorer than last season so it is there to see I think we should play one or the other but right now i'd rather play neither as I think they are both liabilitys as we cannot afford to drop points this late in the season anymore to smaller teams.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:27 am

King Kev wrote:Given has never been one to dominate his penalty area (or even his 6 yard box!) His game, and reputation, has been built on his incredible shot-stopping abilities.

He is a very good 'keeper but people shouldn't be distracted by spectacular saves as quite often these could/should have been prevented by the 'keeper stopping the build up earlier. IMO Joe Hart is the better all round goalie and I really hope we hang on to him.

I thought it was just me. He looks brilliant on highlights because he's always having to make point blank saves. As you say, if he caught the occasional cross and bossed the back four to head a few out, he wouldn't have a save to make and no one would say he's a great keeper, as they wouldn't notice him as much.

Last season, Hart wasn't as good a shot stopper, as he often got caught out by top strikers hitting the ball before he was set. Hopefully another season has taught him a lot, but it's difficult to tell from MOTD, as you only see the saves he had to make, not the ones he avoided making.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby eastlandsblue » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:32 am

Ireland as been in and out for weeks now, I'd put him in barrys position, playing from box to box and give Barry the rest he needs. Given seems to be having a dodgy spell at the moment, yesterday he punched a ball, which was easier to catch, and his kicking is very suspect at the moment. Having said that he's in the top 3 goalies in the country.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Nige » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 am

Totally agree.

Ireland needs a run in the centre.

Given - well I'd accept his Ike Immel line obsession on the basis of the saves he pulls off. His kicking is shit and wont improve at his age. This means the defenders should stop shitting themselves and deal with the issue themselves. ie stop fucking dwelling and when you are closed down drilling it back to shay!
lets wish for good days but not forget the bad days
Nige
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Fern 1

Postby brite blu sky » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 pm

To be fair to Ireland he has been out for a while, he generally has always needed a few games to get his form going. This season he doesn't seem to have got a run of games to get up to speed. So while agreeing that he is below par, in Stevies defence i would point out that he has made some sublime passes.. the loop over the defenders right onto Neds foot for the crucial second goal in the cup.. as someone mentioned the long ball onto Ade foot. Portsmouth and Yesterday he also made some key defensive interventions. So while he is missing the top 10% of his game, he played no worse than anyone else yesterday imo and for me he needs a run of starts and probably as others have suggested in his role as box to box mid.
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:00 pm

Vhero wrote:
King Kev wrote:

THE MAGIC HAS GONE....

Finally somebody else is getting as stressed out with Ireland as me (Carl) as for the 40 yard ball I agree it was a great/fantastic ball but you can't really excuse how shit he been playing for 1 fucking good ball? I am just happy people are starting to see how fucking shocking Ireland has been this season and not trying to make excuses for the guy (except for Kev obviously as obviously 1 good ball all season means we should play him every game eh?).

As for Given I never really noticed him not coming off the line but yeah that's gonna cause some serious problems. I have been too busy watching our defence trying to stop average attackers and fail. Boyata hasn't been upto the task and really who can blame him being shoved into the team at such a young age. Ned has a ton more experience and should be played ahead but Mancini thinks Boyata is better and experience obviously means fuck all.

Do you ever learn? Your hatred for Ireland is absolutely unbelievable - "your happy people can see how shocking he is"?

You're a right mong sometimes Vhero, you really are. You have a fucking avatar of your hero who fucked off to Santos and defined the word "shocking" this season. You never once said you believed he was playing shite, yet you haven't shut up about Ireland being TERRIBLE.

He is below form, especially compared to his POTY season last time (when you still tried to tell us he was shit), but in no way is he shocking. He has a few assists and a couple of goals. He was shite this week, but you conveniently forgot that last week he set up the goal that broke the deadlock AND he saved us conceding by being on his own goal line.

I know he can play a lot better and I really wish he would be played in a central attacking role because he's a fantastic playmaker, but you can't wait for threads that criticise him so you can have your little rants and it pisses me right off. There you go again accusing the club and fans of "making excuses" for him. I'm only going to say this to you one more time mate - THE INJURIES AND SICKNESSES WERE REAL. THEY WERE VERY REAL.

Now do yourself a favour and take down that deserter that you think is such a hero from your signature.

As for Given - I wouldn't swap him for anyone. I've seen him behind a solid defence that know each other inside out and he is world class, no doubt about it.

The problem isn't Given, its the poxy defence that changes from week to week and constantly leaks goals.

I'd play Ireland against Bolton in a central attacking role and if he's wank, drop him. I fear he has no place under Mancini because he doesn't favour systems that employ playmakers it would seem. Just like Trappatoni and many other Italian coaches.

Put it this way - if Stephen Ireland goes on the market, it wouldn't suprise me in the least to see him arrive at Arsenal or United and prosper.

Either play him as a playmaker or sell him, its quite simple IMO.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:12 pm

Original Dub

I know he can play a lot better and I really wish he would be played in a central attacking role because he's a fantastic playmaker

The key to his great season last year was his playmaking added to his workrate. It's one thing if his creative game has been affected by playing different positions but a disappointing thing for me so far this season is the lack of power in his running & challenging compared to last season. When he was asked to briefly fill in at fullback whilst Zabba got treatment last week he was truly hopeless & lightweight & looked like Elano. That's not the Ireland from last year who was bursting people off the ball. Something is missing & it's not just down to tactics.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Original Dub

I know he can play a lot better and I really wish he would be played in a central attacking role because he's a fantastic playmaker

The key to his great season last year was his playmaking added to his workrate. It's one thing if his creative game has been affected by playing different positions but a disappointing thing for me so far this season is the lack of power in his running & challenging compared to last season. When he was asked to briefly fill in at fullback whilst Zabba got treatment last week he was truly hopeless & lightweight & looked like Elano. That's not the Ireland from last year who was bursting people off the ball. Something is missing & it's not just down to tactics.

Yeah mate, that's definitely something I noticed as well. His power and commitment to tackling is well below par. Which is a shame, because in the friendly against Barca it was there for all to see. His tackling on Messi was sublime at times. There is something wrong, you're right.

The only thing I can think of is that he hasn't been able to play 5 or so games in a row because he has what it takes and none of us would question that now, except Vhero of course.
Original Dub

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Original Dub

Yeah mate, that's definitely something I noticed as well. His power and commitment to tackling is well below par. Which is a shame, because in the friendly against Barca it was there for all to see. His tackling on Messi was sublime at times. There is something wrong, you're right.

The only thing I can think of is that he hasn't been able to play 5 or so games in a row because he has what it takes and none of us would question that now, except Vhero of course.

Maybe his gran has really died?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby edge275 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:47 pm

The Ireland conundrum is simple. Play him in an advanced midfield role and reap the rewards.
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum