Lescott and Santa boost for blues

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Lescott and Santa boost for blues

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:43 am

Roberto Mancini’s options for tomorrow night’s game against Bolton have been boosted by the return to fitness of Joleon Lescott and Roque Santa Cruz.

And there is more good news with Belgian international Vincent Kompany’s thigh injury not as bad as first feared.

He trained yesterday and while still a doubt for the visit of Wanderers could well be back in contention for the FA Cup tie with Stoke on Saturday night.

England defender Lescott travelled to Hull at the weekend with the squad but was confined to a pre-match workout on the pitch before the match.

Ironically, he hasn’t featured since injuring his knee in the 3-3 draw with Bolton at the Reebok Stadium almost two months ago. Santa Cruz has missed the last five league and cup games thanks to a calf strain.

Wayne Bridge is expected to be fine for the visit of Owen Coyle’s side despite having stitches in a head wound picked up in the defeat at the KC Stadium and fellow defender Micah Richards hopes to have shaken off a calf problem that has kept him out of the last two games against Pompey and Hull.

After Arsenal, Villa and Spurs all dropped points over a weekend when Liverpool were the big winners in the race for a top four spot, Mancini accepts that tomorrow’s game is vital.

“We must play for ninety minutes and not begin slowly as we did at Hull,” he urged.

“Bolton will come and try to pressure us in the same way, they are fighting hard too like Hull.

“I thought in the second half at the KC Stadium we played well and we had three or four chances to make it 2-2 but we didn’t. We must be more clinical and focussed from the start.”

good news more options now.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: Lescott and Santa boost for blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:45 am

Good timing & good news, I was just mentioning those two on another thread.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby sandman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 am

Good to see Lescott back
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 pm

sandman wrote:Good to see Lescott back

We should really do a poll on this and see how many people are happy that he will probably be playing tommorow.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Mase » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Imo Lescott is a quality player. But him and Toure didn't look like they were ever going to work. Do they even talk to each other? Toure is supposed to be captain but it seemed as though they were complete strangers that only just met 2 minutes before every match. I can definitely see Vinnie and Lescott being a good partnership but I don't think Toure will get dropped personally.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beeks » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Feel sorry for Lescott...he was just starting to settle in and start proving his undoubted ability when he got this injury

He is a talent and will be a great player for us I have no doubt.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby btajim » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Vhero wrote:
sandman wrote:Good to see Lescott back

We should really do a poll on this and see how many people are happy that he will probably be playing tommorow.

Perhaps not alongside Toure - but I think Lescott was beginning to look like a promising Centre Half before he picked up his injury. I'm not confident with a pairing of Toure and Lescott.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby john@staustell » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:34 pm

The Paraguay papers are currently bereft of news about RSC from his dad or the national team doctor.

It was a real insane gamble playing him at Everton, bordering on the irresponsible, just after he pick up that calf injury. The Paraguay doctor said he needed a couple of weeks rest.

I know the Paraguay doctor is only interested in the world cup, whereas City are only interested - quite rightly - in what we can get out of him for the club this season. But starting him at Everton was desperation that backfired.

I still believe if we can get him on the field we have got goals, as he has already proved.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Just reading that a pairing of Toure and Lescott wouldnt work! Is the reason that Toure is the weak link in that partnership or Lescott? I would agree with those who think that Lescott was just coming into good form and showing why he was in the England squad.

Maybe our best pairing , based on Vinnie's showing in January is Lescott and Vinnnie but I have a feeling Mancini likes Toure.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Great news in terms of both players

I actually rate both of them quite highly on the basis of what I've seen so far.

Lescott was looking quality when he was injured and I've seen enough from Roque to convince me that he has something to contribute to our attacking play. Specifically one good thing about him (when used in conjunction with Tevez, Adebayor or Bellamy) is the fact that much of his movement is very advanced and the parts of his game that the othes don't show as much is about taking the ball, shielding, laying off and being a fulcrum around which others can move
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Just reading that a pairing of Toure and Lescott wouldnt work! Is the reason that Toure is the weak link in that partnership or Lescott? I would agree with those who think that Lescott was just coming into good form and showing why he was in the England squad.

Maybe our best pairing , based on Vinnie's showing in January is Lescott and Vinnnie but I have a feeling Mancini likes Toure.

agreed on all parts mate. Kompo------Lescott should be first choice, and with Kolo breathing down their necks for their place then I reckon mistakes will be very uncommon.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:12 pm

I am definately a Kompo - Lescott man
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Good news having Lescott and Roque back hopefully Kompany will be ok aswell.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Wooders wrote:I am definately a Kompo - Lescott man

That's a fatal 3 way if there ever was one.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Kladze » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Wooders wrote:I am definately a Kompo - Lescott man

Can we throw Foggy in to that mix? ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Vhero » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:26 pm

I think we should just keep RSC on the bench and not risk him anymore and sell him on come summer. One more mid game injury like that and I think he will become not only useless to us but unsellable if we do get top 4 and need to get a better striker in.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 pm

where do you get your ideas from vhero ?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby aaron bond » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Vhero wrote:I think we should just keep RSC on the bench and not risk him anymore and sell him on come summer. One more mid game injury like that and I think he will become not only useless to us but unsellable if we do get top 4 and need to get a better striker in.

I agree. Don't play him at all and hope we can get £500k for him in the summer.

Saying that, the sack of shit will probably get injured somehow even if he doesn't play.

Never mind, he only cost £17m.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum