Can the REAL Stephen Ireland please stand up?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Can the REAL Stephen Ireland please stand up?

Postby Grob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Ireland has proven this season that he is pretty much a one trick pony. The defensive side of his game is none existant and he hasnt the pace to play wide. If he's not running past the strikers, he's doing nothing.

So we either play a system that suits him or he gets demoted to a situational player.

In my opinion this season he has been painfully average for the most part, when even playing in his favoured role.

But Ireland is still a quality player and will bounce back. He will find a way.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Erwin Rommel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:46 pm

He needs to go back and do what made him great again.........

What was it now?

.... Killing Granny's.
Erwin Rommel
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: mcfc
My favourite player is: tevez

Postby simon12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Grob wrote:Ireland has proven this season that he is pretty much a one trick pony. The defensive side of his game is none existant and he hasnt the pace to play wide. If he's not running past the strikers, he's doing nothing.

So we either play a system that suits him or he gets demoted to a situational player.

In my opinion this season he has been painfully average for the most part, when even playing in his favoured role.

I`m always curious when I hear that...What is Shay? should he be dropped? Would you play RSC at left back? cos we`ve got a problem in that position. We`ve some players that are adaptable but not ALL have to be surely.

Play Stevie in his best position play sweep on the right play jinky on the left etc etc..Back to my reason for commenting. The players warm up in front of me and Stevie looked fucked right off I can tell you.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am

[quote="ant london"]I'm getting pretty sick of people getting on our players' backs on here to be honest.

We are all fucking frustrated at the moment but some of you are acting like prize tools.

ant london » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Barry was shit, given was awful, as was toure, as was swp.

CARRY ON. ;)
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

simon12 wrote:
Grob wrote:Ireland has proven this season that he is pretty much a one trick pony. The defensive side of his game is none existant and he hasnt the pace to play wide. If he's not running past the strikers, he's doing nothing.

I`m always curious when I hear that...What is Shay? should he be dropped? Would you play RSC at left back? cos we`ve got a problem in that position. We`ve some players that are adaptable but not ALL have to be surely.

Play Stevie in his best position play sweep on the right play jinky on the left etc etc..Back to my reason for commenting. The players warm up in front of me and Stevie looked fucked right off I can tell you.

This season , it hasn't struck me that Ireland is a one trick pony.

I'm not sure what is meant by that , with respect to Stevie. Sgevie has not been 'in form '

He is without doubt a good player. Is he an intelligent player ? I would suggest he isn't. Strangely enough , my opinion is not football related.

However, Stevie hasn't really had that much time , or been given that much time ( By Hughes , and latterly by Mancini) to build on his good performances from last season.

It is strange and also somewhat disappointing for us fans , because we want to see out 'homegrown lads' do well.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Renato_CTID » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:42 am

Mancini's tactics aren't helping at all Ireland to come back at the same levels of last season!
I wish to watch Stephen playing in a diamond midfield just behind Ade and Carlitos.

DE JONG

SWP (PETROV) AJ (BARRY)

IRELAND
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby ant london » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:02 am

Svensational wrote:Didnt even get a sniff of football last night. Thought he would've been brought on to give the game a bit of zip in the 2nd half. Obviously Mr Mancini had other plans.

He looked fucking miserable when he was shown on the bench. Not surprising really when we start the game with a diamond midfield and he is overlooked for the role at the top of the formation.

That said, if he'd made the kind of impact that NuJinky last night in any of his appearances lately he wouldn't have found himself on the bench in the first place
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:14 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:[quote="ant london"]I'm getting pretty sick of people getting on our players' backs on here to be honest.

We are all fucking frustrated at the moment but some of you are acting like prize tools.

CARRY ON. ;)

YOU THOUGHT THIS WOULD GO AWAY DIDNT YOU ANT.
CANT LET YOU GET AWAY WITH IT.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Renato_CTID wrote:Mancini's tactics aren't helping at all Ireland to come back at the same levels of last season!
I wish to watch Stephen playing in a diamond midfield just behind Ade and Carlitos.

DE JONG

SWP (PETROV) AJ (BARRY)

IRELAND

Problem is though that nobody can play in that dimond tip when we have Ade and Tevez up front. Johnson was moved to the right wing after 10 mins or so as he was not effective there. This is because of Tevez's and Adebayor's passion for not getting into the box. Tevez negates the need for a dimond tip as he does this job.

Ireland and any other player who's game is based upon throughballs and defense splitting passes is going to struggle when one of the forwards is behind him and the other one out on the wing.

Put Ireland behind Bellamy and Santa Cruz and we have a front line which will look to get onto the end of Ireland's passes.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Geo123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

arrivederci Stevie.....

Grazie
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Geo123 wrote:arrivederci Stevie.....

Grazie

Oh he's finished now?

Excellent.
Original Dub

Postby Geo123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:27 pm

I never said he was finished I just dont see why hed stick around... the post about tevez just above is exactly spot on,, we have no place for an attacking midfielder with him in the team and Ireland cant adjust to anywhere else. Tevez cant be dropped cause his strike rate is so prolific.
When your 23 you wanna be playing and sitting on the bench even if we are winning will not satisfy him.

Good interview with him on FA website though today also.
Geo123

Postby CitizenYank » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

Shit!! I think Stevie's just worried about his job. He's said as much in the paper.

Let's take a powder before all this (I'll drive him to Sunderland) non sense starts again.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 am

Ireland's 'tackles won' ratio is one of the highest at City. It's part of his game that alot of people forget about.

As I see it, the problem is that we'd have to change the style of play to suit Ireland and that's not a plausible thing to do. It's interesting that Hughes is the only Manager to truly get him playing. Sven certainly failed in that respect.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:36 am

He's quoted today saying he feels the shackles are off now & that he found the 1st 6 months under Hughes frustrating; playing as a holding midfielder or on the wing. So whilst he was making a point of saying how happy he was in every single interview he was actually frustrated.

Presumably Mancini has therefore promised to let him play in his 'favoured' position in the future especially v Stoke rather than out wide or on the bench or taking him off after an hour as has actually happened. Now his 'shackles are off' I wonder how he enjoyed the freedom to roam City's bench whilst Johnson was preferred in his favourite position.

He needs to get his act together starting now, he really does.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:[quote="ant london"]I'm getting pretty sick of people getting on our players' backs on here to be honest.

CARRY ON. ;)

haha. I didn't see that til your other one

Now you see, that's not getting on their backs....that was a post match observation.....completely different ;-)

cunt!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Geo123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:07 am

Ted Hughes wrote:He's quoted today saying he feels the shackles are off now & that he found the 1st 6 months under Hughes frustrating; playing as a holding midfielder or on the wing. So whilst he was making a point of saying how happy he was in every single interview he was actually frustrated.

Presumably Mancini has therefore promised to let him play in his 'favoured' position in the future especially v Stoke rather than out wide or on the bench or taking him off after an hour as has actually happened. Now his 'shackles are off' I wonder how he enjoyed the freedom to roam City's bench whilst Johnson was preferred in his favourite position.

Hes not gonna start slating the new gaffer in an interview if he ever wants to play anyway,

I wouldnt believe a word of that,, he prob wont start against stoke eventhough AJ is cup tied
Geo123

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 am

Good video the quotes are from on the FA website

http://tldorc.blogspot.com/2010/02/irel ... oy+Carroll)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:24 am

btajim wrote:

Ireland's 'tackles won' ratio is one of the highest at City. It's part of his game that alot of people forget about.

As I see it, the problem is that we'd have to change the style of play to suit Ireland and that's not a plausible thing to do. It's interesting that Hughes is the only Manager to truly get him playing. Sven certainly failed in that respect.

Isn't the highest the much-maligned Toure?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:41 am

Ted Hughes wrote:He's quoted today saying he feels the shackles are off now & that he found the 1st 6 months under Hughes frustrating; playing as a holding midfielder or on the wing. So whilst he was making a point of saying how happy he was in every single interview he was actually frustrated.

He is a prize fucking tool isnt he - if true. I love the guy to bits, but he comes out saying he lied in all his previous press releases, now expects us to believe he is telling the truth in this one.

He really is too thick to hold a brain cell, and should keep his fucking gob shut in future and let his football do the talking
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum