Can the REAL Stephen Ireland please stand up?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Can the REAL Stephen Ireland please stand up?

Postby Geo123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 am

What the fcuk are you talking about... he said he was moved around this season under MH and played a deeper role this is all true, he obviously was frustrated if not playing in preferred role but didnt act like other players before him and run to the press about it. I personally dont see anything wrong with the interview
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Geo123 wrote:What the fcuk are you talking about... he said he was moved around this season under MH and played a deeper role this is all true, he obviously was frustrated if not playing in preferred role but didnt act like other players before him and run to the press about it. I personally dont see anything wrong with the interview

I think you missed my point completely - I dont have an issue with what he is saying happened.

My question was, why should I believe a word he says now, when is trotting out the same "party line" claptrap that not 10 seconds earlier he has just admitted to lying about under Hughes?

I understand why you toe the party line for the gaffer that is in charge, but how fucking stupid does it sound admitting to lying about his happiness under one manager who played him out of position, and in the next breath supporting the new one who does the same thing - does it not ring slightly hollow?

He is pushing credibility to the limit with this one i'm afraid. They boy should just keep his mouth shut
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:He's quoted today saying he feels the shackles are off now & that he found the 1st 6 months under Hughes frustrating; playing as a holding midfielder or on the wing. So whilst he was making a point of saying how happy he was in every single interview he was actually frustrated.

Presumably Mancini has therefore promised to let him play in his 'favoured' position in the future especially v Stoke rather than out wide or on the bench or taking him off after an hour as has actually happened. Now his 'shackles are off' I wonder how he enjoyed the freedom to roam City's bench whilst Johnson was preferred in his favourite position.

He needs to get his act together starting now, he really does.

He is a prize fucking tool isnt he - if true. I love the guy to bits, but he comes out saying he lied in all his previous press releases, now expects us to believe he is telling the truth in this one.

He really is too thick to hold a brain cell, and should keep his fucking gob shut in future and let his football do the talking

Woh, let it all out there chief - its not like he was doing an Elano and undermining the manager while he was still in charge. He backed the manager while he was here and fought to get in the side.

Now Hughes is gone and he can say he found it frustrating to be played out of position this season but he's doing the same as he did under Sven - don't undermine the gaffer, if you're going to talk to the press be positive about how things are going at the club.... he'll get on with it, you don't have to call him a "fucking thick" and tell him to "shut his fucking gob". That's some respect for our POTY.

Personally, I always find his interviews refreshing and positive. Rather than the usual PR robots.

I'm sure if there's one player at the club you don't have to give a kick in the arse to its ireland. He may be below par.... he may have had a poor half season, but you're anger towards him is just plain weird.
Original Dub

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Original Dub wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:He's quoted today saying he feels the shackles are off now & that he found the 1st 6 months under Hughes frustrating; playing as a holding midfielder or on the wing. So whilst he was making a point of saying how happy he was in every single interview he was actually frustrated.

Presumably Mancini has therefore promised to let him play in his 'favoured' position in the future especially v Stoke rather than out wide or on the bench or taking him off after an hour as has actually happened. Now his 'shackles are off' I wonder how he enjoyed the freedom to roam City's bench whilst Johnson was preferred in his favourite position.

He is a prize fucking tool isnt he - if true. I love the guy to bits, but he comes out saying he lied in all his previous press releases, now expects us to believe he is telling the truth in this one.

He really is too thick to hold a brain cell, and should keep his fucking gob shut in future and let his football do the talking

Woh, let it all out there chief - its not like he was doing an Elano and undermining the manager while he was still in charge. He backed the manager while he was here and fought to get in the side.

Now Hughes is gone and he can say he found it frustrating to be played out of position this season but he's doing the same as he did under Sven - don't undermine the gaffer, if you're going to talk to the press be positive about how things are going at the club.... he'll get on with it, you don't have to call him a "fucking thick" and tell him to "shut his fucking gob". That's some respect for our POTY.

Personally, I always find his interviews refreshing and positive. Rather than the usual PR robots.

I'm sure if there's one player at the club you don't have to give a kick in the arse to its ireland. He may be below par.... he may have had a poor half season, but you're anger towards him is just plain weird.

I'm not bothered that he said it, he just comes across as an idiot to say on one hand he hated being played out of position, then on the other hand praise Mancini who is doing the same. It just makes him look a dick, and the praise of Mancini completely hollow.

As for not being a PR robot, well clearly he is, as he has admitted he wasnt happy, but still kept saying he was. That is PR -eg, toeing the party line, as he is in this interview.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Original Dub wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

Do you not think the whole thing comes over as the words of someone a bit puddled? To do many interviews saying how happy he was under Hughes, to praise him AFTER he'd gone, to then claim he was actually not happy at all BUT he's happy now after just being dropped, taken off for not performing & played out wide in exactly the same way he's complaining about?

I don't find it refreshing mate, I find it worrying.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:26 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:

I'm not bothered that he said it, he just comes across as an idiot to say on one hand he hated being played out of position, then on the other hand praise Mancini who is doing the same. It just makes him look a dick, and the praise of Mancini completely hollow.

As for not being a PR robot, well clearly he is, as he has admitted he wasnt happy, but still kept saying he was. That is PR -eg, toeing the party line, as he is in this interview.

when he was full of praise for hughes is was during last season, the summer and the beginning of this season. He wasn't saying he was delighted with the manager and his football in the last six months, which is when he is claiming he was being played out of position.

I don't see the massive problem you ahve with him? "Shut your fucking gob" "fucking thick".

A bit OTT I think you'll admit john? He loves this club and he works hard to be a big part of it.
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

john@staustell wrote:
btajim wrote:Ireland's 'tackles won' ratio is one of the highest at City. It's part of his game that alot of people forget about.

As I see it, the problem is that we'd have to change the style of play to suit Ireland and that's not a plausible thing to do. It's interesting that Hughes is the only Manager to truly get him playing. Sven certainly failed in that respect.

Isn't the highest the much-maligned Toure?

I'm not sure. I just know Ireland is up there with a couple of the others.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Original Dub wrote:
when he was full of praise for hughes is was during last season, the summer and the beginning of this season. He wasn't saying he was delighted with the manager and his football in the last six months, which is when he is claiming he was being played out of position.

I don't see the massive problem you have with him? "Shut your fucking gob" "fucking thick".

A bit OTT I think you'll admit john? He loves this club and he works hard to be a big part of it.

How can you not see the stupidity of what he has said?

What he has said is completely contradictory, having admitted to not being truthful in previous press releases about how he felt playing out of position under Hughes (and yes they do exist, I just checked the o/s), how can we now believe him when he praises Mancini who is doing the exact same thing he has just lambasted Hughes for.

I have no problem with the player but he should keep his mouth shut if this is the best he can do.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

I don't see the massive problem you have with him? "Shut your fucking gob" "fucking thick".

What he has said is completely contradictory, having admitted to not being truthful in previous press releases about how he felt playing out of position under Hughes (and yes they do exist, I just checked the o/s), how can we now believe him when he praises Mancini who is doing the exact same thing he has just lambasted Hughes for.

I have no problem with the player but he should keep his mouth shut if this is the best he can do.

there are interviews where he admits he wasn't telling the truth?

That changes everything... the interviews I was talking about were when he was playing out of his skin in his favoured position. He said yesterday then that he felt frustrated for the last six months being out of position... that's how I saw it... but if you have interview with Stevie admitting he was lying, then post them.

This is very worrying...
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 pm

Hughes (and Bobby) for that matter both played him out of position due to a lack of alternatives when SWP (mainly) was injured, as the best option. The Johnson signing should remove this problem. No need for him to feel bitter about it.

When we are in pressure away games it seems to pass him by. In midfield one killer pass a game wont buy you a cigar, you need to be at it for 90 minutes.

I dont think Bobby has a problem with him and I'm sure he'll be in if Tevez is rested/injured.

The main problem I saw with him toward the end of last and beginning of this season was that his decision-making in the last third had gone to pot - playing in his RIGHT position. He misplaced final passes, and lost the ability to decide when to shoot or pass, as if whatever training/tactics were going on was affecting his natural game - making him think too much if you like. From this his general form has gone down a bit.

He'll be back soon. In fact the FA cup game should be ideal for him.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Original Dub wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

That changes everything... the interviews I was talking about were when he was playing out of his skin in his favoured position. He said yesterday then that he felt frustrated for the last six months being out of position... that's how I saw it... but if you have interview with Stevie admitting he was lying, then post them.

This is very worrying...

Sorry if that came across wrong, I meant that his outburst against Hughes is an admission of previously being untruthful about his satisfaction in Hughes' line up.

He sounded more than happy here on 29th August whilst the team were winning, and admitted that he has to be more disciplined but that he still has an edge even with the restrictions on his attacking duties.

Stephen Ireland wrote:"For most of the game I have to be more disciplined than I was last year because of how the team is set up. But as soon as the 75th minute comes I'm gone. That's when I'm on my own in terms of running box to box, gambling on things. If you look at most of my goals - like the one at Blackburn on the opening day of the season - teams switch off and I'm still at it. I've got that energy and that desire to keep going."

Then, in the same interview he said this:

Stephen Ireland wrote:I want the players, staff and the manager to trust me.

Well Stevie, you are gonna struggle with trust after your little outburst against "the man who made you" what you are aren't you?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:11 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

This is very worrying...

Sorry if that came across wrong, I meant that his outburst against Hughes is an admission of previously being untruthful about his satisfaction in Hughes' line up.

He sounded more than happy here on 29th August whilst the team were winning, and admitted that he has to be more disciplined but that he still has an edge even with the restrictions on his attacking duties.

Stephen Ireland wrote:"For most of the game I have to be more disciplined than I was last year because of how the team is set up. But as soon as the 75th minute comes I'm gone. That's when I'm on my own in terms of running box to box, gambling on things. If you look at most of my goals - like the one at Blackburn on the opening day of the season - teams switch off and I'm still at it. I've got that energy and that desire to keep going."

Then, in the same interview he said this:

Stephen Ireland wrote:I want the players, staff and the manager to trust me.

Well Stevie, you are gonna struggle with trust after your little outburst against "the man who made you" what you are aren't you?

Right so I read you wrong John, I thought you had evidence he admitted he lied...

So all your post tells me is that he was happy to try this different role at the start of the season but became frustrated with it because he couldn't adapt like he'd hoped?

I'm just not getting this sorry. We were all made aware his role had changed this season - hughes said so and so did stevie. The fact he became disillusioned with it and felt he could use the gift he has to its full potential does not take away from the fact that he was delighted all last season.

It doesn't make him a hypocrite, because he was happy going into the season and became frustrated. Still, he never ran to the press telling them "I should be playing", "I'm being played out of position and I hate it". No, he waited until he was gone and said it had been a frustrating few months but he's feeling happier now.

I don't know why he's happier now - maybe he's been asured that because of new purchases, although he won't play every game, when he does play from now on the shackles are off... none of us know for sure, but the anger towards him is way OTT I think.

Personall, I wanted/want to know what's happened his form for quite some time and I'm glad he's tried to explain it because these threads were becoming a weekly thing and finally the player himself talks and he's lambasted and called a "fucking thick" and he should "keep his fucking gob shut".

Well I think he should keep informing us how he feels about his play, as long as it doesn't undermine the current management of course, because I don't want anyone fucking around with the dressing room. I just don't feel that is the case here.
Original Dub

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum