Mancini targets crucial win tonight

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini targets crucial win tonight

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 am

Roberto Mancini is urging City to put Saturday's disappointing display at Hull behind them quickly when Bolton visit tonight.

It's a quick turnaround for the Blues, and there are three more games to follow in the next week-and-a-half, but that suits the Manager just fine as he eyes a move back into the top four.

With little time to dwell on the defeat at the KC Stadium, thoughts have turned to the visit of Bolton, who held City in an entertaining 3-3 draw at the Reebok Stadium in December.

"This is a crucial moment for us," Roberto declares. "After Hull it's important that we don't make any mistakes this month.

"We need to beat to beat Bolton, and
we need to keep close to the group
around the top four in the table.
Arsenal losing and Spurs drawing were
better results for us after what
happened at Hull, and also now I have
Joleon and Vincent to come back for
selection."

"We have the players here, it's a good squad but we need to keep working hard to improve as a team, whatever eleven players are chosen. If we do that we'll get better and reach our targets."

Like City, Bolton have had a change of manager since the teams last met but they have secured just one win in the league under Owen Coyle after his move from Burnley. Nevertheless, Mancini is wary of the threat posed by tonight's visitors.

"Every team we play raises themselves against us, and we have to react to that. We are seen as one of the big teams and a big scalp. But that's good for us, and we can make that work for us. If we want to get to the top, we have to work just as hard against teams like Bolton, or Hull, as against the teams around us.

"Bolton will be fighting for every ball tonight, so we need to have the right approach. If we do that then we have every chance of getting the win that we need.

"They were 2-0 up against Arsenal not long ago, they were aggressive and played well. We have to remember what they can do and cope with how they try to play against us. We have some important games coming up, Stoke will be a battle, and then there is Liverpool so that's why it's important that we win tonight."

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Mancini targets crucial win tonight

Postby john68 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

There is a line in that piece that seems to sum up mancini's approach and also a glaring ommisiion.
"...and we have to react to that."

At no point does he mention City stamping our authority on the game. That to me would be a more important and positive statement.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Ted Hughes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 am

john68 wrote:There is a line in that piece that seems to sum up mancini's approach and also a glaring ommisiion.

At no point does he mention City stamping our authority on the game. That to me would be a more important and positive statement.

I think you're doing 'the Hughes' on Mancini there mate tbf. I think he just means we have to put the effort in because they will.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john68 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
john68 wrote:There is a line in that piece that seems to sum up mancini's approach and also a glaring ommisiion.

I think you're doing 'the Hughes' on Mancini there mate tbf. I think he just means we have to put the effort in because they will.

I do hope that It doesn't come across that way Ted. Personally I am supportive of any City manager but maybe I am a little over sensitive to the REACTIVE style of City rather than a PROACTIVE style, which I would rather see and think is necessary for us to push on.
I'll have to keep an eye on myself Mate....:-)
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beeks » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Come On City
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 pm

john68 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I do hope that It doesn't come across that way Ted. Personally I am supportive of any City manager but maybe I am a little over sensitive to the REACTIVE style of City rather than a PROACTIVE style, which I would rather see and think is necessary for us to push on.
I'll have to keep an eye on myself Mate....:-)

I think he was trying to make the point that he had emphasised the matter to the team, even though it did come across reactive. Maybe he has been lost in translation, possibly would have sounded better saying "we have to step up to that challenge"
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

its just lost in translation for sure. if you watch the interview.

Lets hope that 'must win' translates into attacking the opponents and not giving them the pitch to play on!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Return to The Maine Football forum