Who started singing "themed club" songs first ?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Who started singing "themed club" songs first ?

Postby eastlands-lostboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Blumoon, Delihla, Never Walk Alone, Forever Blowin Bubbles......what club started this practice in the U.K. I am not sure, was it West Ham ? many teams used to sing religous songs but some are regarded as "not P.C." but who really started this off ?
My wife says " You only support City because they keep going down on you"
eastlands-lostboy
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Who started singing "themed club" songs first ?

Postby dazlebluefrog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:29 pm

this really is a question for john68 as he was around at the time it all started i'll go and try and find something on google
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby Dazzacity » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Im pretty sure near on every team used to sing 'You'll never walk alone' Im sure Iv even seen old City footage where City fans are singing it?? Just that the like of Liverpool,Celtic and I think PSV??? etc kept it up..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby dazlebluefrog » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 pm

this site doesn't help in your search but listened to some good songs and some fcuking awful crap check out the LA Galaxy songs !!fcuking total shit the aussies aren't that bad
http://www.fanchants.com/
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 pm

we stole blue moon from crewe so it wasnt us
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bear60 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

I think Birmingham City's song is quite an old one , not sure if they started it all off though.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 pm

we shall not be moved has been around.
Like Rugby, did footy adopt slave/christian songs (o when the saints etc).
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:26 pm

I can remember the kippax singing you will never walk alone many moons ago
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby walmai » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Interesting thread.

WHUFC starting singing 'Bubbles' as a result, as I am sure you are aware, of it being popularised in a musical (first seen in USA). However, over and above the sentiment of the song being very apt for our club generally, we had a player named Murray who was apparently the dead ringer for the character pictured in posters for the musical when it was on in London (and on the sheet music that was for sale). This was all in the 1920's, so far as I know.

As for 'Walk Alone', QPR used to sing a version of it in the 80's that incorporated some kind of clapping between each line. It was a song that many different teams fans sang even up to that decade. That as well is from a musical.

One thing I cannot stand - even if sung by West Ham fans - is the ludicrous 'sign on' version of 'Walk Alone'. As if anyone going to games now is on the dole!
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 am

Club songs have been around since well before I can remember and Bubbles was certainly well known as the West Ham song when I was a kid and before the modern singing ends evolved in the mid 1960s.
Coventry had the "Eton Boating Song", Brum's was "Keep Right On To The End Of The Road" and Spurs sang "Glory, Glory Tottenham Hotspur" for many years before the rags stole it. City had a version of "Bless Em All" for the 1956 Cup Final.

Liverpool's Kop was considered to have been the first Singing end around 1964 and I remember that their favourite song at that time (well before You'll Never Walk Alone was released by gerry and the Pacemakers) was in fact...Doo Wah Diddy.
The Shitford end was considered the 2nd and they adopted "We Shall Overcome" which, as far as I can remember, an anthemn for the Black American Equal rights campaign.
The Gwladys Street was probably the 3rd and may have been before the Shitford end. Their song was "We Shal not be Moved.

As ends grew at every club, most of the songs were sung by all the fans and adapted to suit if necessary. The number of songs and chants grew with everyone stealing off everybody else.

I hope that helps.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Lev Bronstein » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:16 am

The memory is blurred, but, there's some record Dennis Law holds - scoring 7 goals in a cup tie and being on the losing side. Anyway, the first meeting - with Sunderland I think was abandoned with Utd 7 up. Sunderland won the re-match and there was a report in the papers that the Sunderland fans were singing "The Blaydon Races" - something they used to do quite often apparantly. I think that was about 1961.

Like the rest I appeal to John68's data file.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby walshawblue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:24 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:The memory is blurred, but, there's some record Dennis Law holds - scoring 7 goals in a cup tie and being on the losing side. Anyway, the first meeting - with Sunderland I think was abandoned with Utd 7 up. Sunderland won the re-match and there was a report in the papers that the Sunderland fans were singing "The Blaydon Races" - something they used to do quite often apparantly. I think that was about 1961.

Like the rest I appeal to John68's data file.

It was city againt luto away and city were 6-0 up with 20 minutes Law scored all six and the fef abandoned the game City lost the replay 3-1 and Law scored the goal so he scored seven and still ended up loosing (ONLY CITY)
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 am

Walshie is right Lev...
Game 1 was on 28th Jan and was abandonded after 69mins.
Game 2 was a disaster and we got stuffed

The Luton management worked out that all of Laws goals in the 1st game were made by George Hannah and reckoned if they could stop City's Hannah, they would stop law...They were right.

Not sure about the Sunderland fans and the Blaydon Races though. It was alweays considered to be the newcastle Anthemn
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:09 am

walmai wrote:Interesting thread.

WHUFC starting singing 'Bubbles' as a result, as I am sure you are aware, of it being popularised in a musical (first seen in USA). However, over and above the sentiment of the song being very apt for our club generally, we had a player named Murray who was apparently the dead ringer for the character pictured in posters for the musical when it was on in London (and on the sheet music that was for sale). This was all in the 1920's, so far as I know.

As for 'Walk Alone', QPR used to sing a version of it in the 80's that incorporated some kind of clapping between each line. It was a song that many different teams fans sang even up to that decade. That as well is from a musical.

One thing I cannot stand - even if sung by West Ham fans - is the ludicrous 'sign on' version of 'Walk Alone'. As if anyone going to games now is on the dole!

No Walmai, they have season tickets! I kid you not. There is a famouse doley called carl teese who is a rag fan who has a season ticket and eats lots of pizzas and take aways too.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Lev Bronstein » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:36 am

john68 wrote:Walshie is right Lev...
Game 1 was on 28th Jan and was abandonded after 69mins.
Game 2 was a disaster and we got stuffed

The Luton management worked out that all of Laws goals in the 1st game were made by George Hannah and reckoned if they could stop City's Hannah, they would stop law...They were right.

Not sure about the Sunderland fans and the Blaydon Races though. It was alweays considered to be the newcastle Anthemn

Ta for that folks. Think I'm right about the Blaydon Races, somehow or other anyway.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby walmai » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:31 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

No Walmai, they have season tickets! I kid you not. There is a famouse doley called carl teese who is a rag fan who has a season ticket and eats lots of pizzas and take aways too.

Is he their unofficial chant writer? Some are actually quite humourous.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:41 pm

You may well be right Lev.
In those days most fans sang everyone elses songs and just adapted them to suit.
My only doubt was that certain songs that pertained to your nearest and hated rivals were often a no-no. Unless the words were changed in an ironic way to throw back at them.
The Kippax never sand "We Shall Overcome" because it was theirs and I reckoned the Blaydon Races might be too entrenched in Geordie culture for the Makkems to take up.
The Kippax certainly sang a version of it...."Waaaaaalking down Maaaaaaine Roooooad....To see Joe Mercer's aces."
john68

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

And goes regularily on holidays.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Return to The Maine Football forum