Who's thinking of

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Who's thinking of

Postby irblinx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
irblinx wrote:I answer the question with a question, why the fuck would people stop going now when you consider how crap we've been for years?

nowadays you don't need to miss a second of live action. Between bars and the streamers we are all able to watch our club live, and it is well documented on here that you get a much better view on your laptop.
The point is the question is as hard to answer as ever it was: why should I make this big commitment if all they dish up is shit (just a different kind of shit).

All that has been widely available for at least three seasons, my point is why would someone choose now to stop going for footballing reasons? I fully accept that there will always be external reasons for not going, I couldn't afford it for years following divorce for example, but they would exist if we were brazil like in every game and sweeping all before us. Considering some of the crap we've watched why would anyone look at the current squad, the manager's track record and the bottomless pit of cash at his disposal and think, nah I can't be bothered. For the last couple of months under Hughes we couldn't buy a win, Mancini has come in all of a sudden there is a distinct shape and organisation to our play, yes it's far from perfect at the moment but think back two months and tell me honestly that you would have complained about a 2-0 win against our perennial bogey team Bolton regardless of the spectacle.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby pepsi_dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Im gonna renew but the atmosphere is awful for some reason.

The team arent serving up ala carte football though.

The atmosphere has always been awful at coms, its not a new peoblem, it's just that now the once local derby agaisnt bolton no longer sets the imagination alive like it would have once done!!! Even their lack of support shows how unimportant this game was to too many fans!

The big important games prove that the atmosphere can be good in there, but the sad fact is, the spirit of maine road IMO will always be lost, and is something we will find very difficult to replace unless there is a massive overhaul of the stadium, or a new one altogether!
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am

I'll carry on & see what happens but the drop in entertainment level is tangible & recent home games are not much more enjoyable than various bad old days of the past. I'm spending a lot of the game hunched in my seat like Peter Swales. Perhaps the challenge of Liverpool will liven up the players & the fans.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Colin the King » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:20 pm

Rightly or wrongly the thought never entered/has entered my mind not to. Going to watch City every Saturday is just what I do, always have and always will. In Division Three, that six months without a goal under Pearce, I've never woken up and thought 'nah I'll give it a miss today'.

Maybe I'm just stupid.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:29 pm

irblinx wrote:I answer the question with a question, why the fuck would people stop going now when you consider how crap we've been for years?

It's just as understandable that people don't want to go regularly now as opposed to not wanting to go regularly 5 or 10 seasons ago. Owning a Seasoncard is a big commitment and requires paying a big lump sum up front without any guarentee of what you'll receive in exchange aside from entry to 19 Football Matches. 2 good Seats are over £1000 now. It's alot of money.

Times change, lives change... We change with it.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby irblinx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

btajim wrote:

It's just as understandable that people don't want to go regularly now as opposed to not wanting to go regularly 5 or 10 seasons ago. Owning a Seasoncard is a big commitment and requires paying a big lump sum up front without any guarentee of what you'll receive in exchange aside from entry to 19 Football Matches. 2 good Seats are over £1000 now. It's alot of money.

See my response to a subsequent response! What I'm saying is why would you stop now for footballing reasons?
irblinx

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

irblinx wrote:
btajim wrote:It's just as understandable that people don't want to go regularly now as opposed to not wanting to go regularly 5 or 10 seasons ago. Owning a Seasoncard is a big commitment and requires paying a big lump sum up front without any guarentee of what you'll receive in exchange aside from entry to 19 Football Matches. 2 good Seats are over £1000 now. It's alot of money.

See my response to a subsequent response! What I'm saying is why would you stop now for footballing reasons?

It's an almost impossible question to answer because almost every Football Fan wants to see their side win but the sight of City throwing money around like it's gone out of fashion doesn't sit well with everybody. Lescott was purposely unsettled at Everton before he eventually signed. I know they got serious money for him - but the whole situation was uncomfortable from my perspective. There's ways and means of behaving as a Club.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby irblinx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:05 pm

btajim wrote:Lescott was purposely unsettled at Everton before he eventually signed. I know they got serious money for him - but the whole situation was uncomfortable from my perspective. There's ways and means of behaving as a Club.

That's a slightly naive viewpoint Jim, they did exactly the same with Wolves to sign him in the first place, the only reason that Moyes made a fuss is because he doesn't accept that we are a bigger club, whilst he's entitled to his opinion Lescott obviously didn't agree. This is how the majority of deals are done (Chelsea tapped Sturridge up two seasons ago) it's just that Moyes whined about this one
irblinx

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Colin the King wrote:Rightly or wrongly the thought never entered/has entered my mind not to. Going to watch City every Saturday is just what I do, always have and always will. In Division Three, that six months without a goal under Pearce, I've never woken up and thought 'nah I'll give it a miss today'.

Maybe I'm just stupid.

Nope, it means your Blue Eoin and thats what around 35k of us do come hell or high water .... unless its a Cup tie of course. Then it dips to around 25k.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby BlueSince72 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:04 pm

I will more then likely renew but I have thought during the last few games "This is shit and there must be better ways to spend my time". The football is just so dull and lacking in attacking inventiveness, under Hughes we might have leaked a few but it was much much better to watch!!

I'm hoping it's just a short term thing to try and get a top 4 place because the lack of atmoshere and fucking dire football on offer will only harm the club regardless of league position, the vast majority will not bother paying good money to watch this shit on a regular basis. In a way it's worse than under Pearce as we now have the players who can play attractive football but they are being restricted (ie. Ireland)....under Pearce we had shit players and no money, "not even a pot to piss in".
BlueSince72
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 am

irblinx wrote:That's a slightly naive viewpoint Jim, they did exactly the same with Wolves to sign him in the first place, the only reason that Moyes made a fuss is because he doesn't accept that we are a bigger club, whilst he's entitled to his opinion Lescott obviously didn't agree. This is how the majority of deals are done (Chelsea tapped Sturridge up two seasons ago) it's just that Moyes whined about this one

So we do it because they do it? How about behaving with a little dignity and leading by example? Football is full of sleaze and people motivated by nothing but money. It's sad.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby craigmcfc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:27 am

It's in the blood so no matter what the tactics/manager/players, if I can still afford I'll be buying
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 am

btajim wrote:
irblinx wrote:That's a slightly naive viewpoint Jim, they did exactly the same with Wolves to sign him in the first place, the only reason that Moyes made a fuss is because he doesn't accept that we are a bigger club, whilst he's entitled to his opinion Lescott obviously didn't agree. This is how the majority of deals are done (Chelsea tapped Sturridge up two seasons ago) it's just that Moyes whined about this one

So we do it because they do it? How about behaving with a little dignity and leading by example? Football is full of sleaze and people motivated by nothing but money. It's sad.

You are 100% correct and I dont think anyone would disagree with you.

However, every corporation likes to spout off about how they are ethical, their environmental credentials, and that they arent murdering chinese workers for stitching umbro shirts together too slowly, however every successful business has to drop its principles on occasion to gain competetive advantage. The hope is that nobody ever finds out about these "lapses". The fact is that they happen, and they have to happen because otherwise your business would hold the moral highground, and have no customers!

On occasions, when you question morals in business, in life, you have to wonder about Marx and communism, and wonder whether he actually saw how greed and capitalism would lead to the end of respect, morals and fair play in society?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:55 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
btajim wrote:So we do it because they do it? How about behaving with a little dignity and leading by example? Football is full of sleaze and people motivated by nothing but money. It's sad.

You are 100% correct and I dont think anyone would disagree with you.

However, every corporation likes to spout off about how they are ethical, their environmental credentials, and that they arent murdering chinese workers for stitching umbro shirts together too slowly, however every successful business has to drop its principles on occasion to gain competetive advantage. The hope is that nobody ever finds out about these "lapses". The fact is that they happen, and they have to happen because otherwise your business would hold the moral highground, and have no customers!

On occasions, when you question morals in business, in life, you have to wonder about Marx and communism, and wonder whether he actually saw how greed and capitalism would lead to the end of respect, morals and fair play in society?

I've spent most of my professional life within the Corporate World so I'm not exactly immune to what goes on out there - but I like to see Football as something different. It's Sport yet it's become out of the reach of many due to the greed of a few. If City disbanded the Youth Academy, Junior Blues and and started charging to watch Videos on the Site (a la Premium TV) then I'd be of the opinion that we'd lost our Club for good.
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:58 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:The only thing stopping me these days is money.

You answered for me.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:02 pm

I cant help thinking that the owners' plans over the last year have been affected by this Platini/Blatter nonsense though Jim.

When they first came in there were signs of keeping prices low, and more or less going out to embarrass others by what they would offer the fans (yes I know our crowds were shite too).

But this WAFFA bollox about revenue means that they have to look to increase our revenue streams to levels they weren't even interested in at the begining, they were just in it for kicks and to make us the biggest and best.

It's very sad, but those fools have altered the course of the game to make sure top clubs like City and Chelsea maximise their incomes as much as possible, affecting fans for the next 10 years or until someone sensible comes along.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum