Toure overrated?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Toure overrated?

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 am

KinkyKinkladze wrote:I'd like to see Komps and Lescott get a run together. There was one instance tonight where a ball was played to the edge of our box and instead of Toure stepping forward and taking the ball and flattening the man, he actually took a step back to assess and cover, and in giving their man space (Elmander I think), a ball was flicked through and but for the ball havign too much pace on it, could've cost us dearly. That kind of thing is happening every game, and has done for most of Toure's games.

I think he did the same against Hull for their first, allowing Vennegoor of Hesselink the time to stop the ball and lay it off to Altidore.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:08 am

he's dodgy imo and his best days are most certainly behind him - my preferred partnership is lescott and Kompany as I've said in previous threads, brawn and brains as a CB partnership works very well together
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 am

Wooders wrote:he's dodgy imo and his best days are most certainly behind him - my preferred partnership is lescott and Kompany as I've said in previous threads, brawn and brains as a CB partnership works very well together

A Herman Munster look-a-like contest!

So who is that over-rates Toure? Not us. Reckon we'll be looking elsewhere in the summer.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 am

He's not been poor & not brilliant just ok. I wonder if he could play midfield in tough away games. He'd help the back 4 & could break very quickly from there in a way that none of the other midfielders can.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:35 am

Mancini should definitely appoint someone else as captain. Like Kompany for example who imho is a better player and leader than Toure.
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby 13021J » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:33 pm

I think the Malaria story has some truth to it. Went from world class to average in one close season. Wenger snapped our hand off when we offered £15m.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
He's not been poor & not brilliant just ok.
I wonder if he could play midfield in tough away games. He'd help the back 4 & could break very quickly from there in a way that none of the other midfielders can.

That would be my assesment. I think he would make a good DM as he likes to go forward and knows how to score. He also played at RB a few times for Arsenal, so he's useful in more than 1 position. Agree though with others that he's not captain material.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:08 pm

King Kev wrote:He's not overrated by me.

This.

hughesthemancini wrote:DEFINITELY NOT CAPTAIN MATERIAL

And This.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Robert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm

i don't think he is overrated i do think he is underrated though
Robert
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Mr Miyagi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 pm

The biggest decision Hughes ever made, and he got it wrong. Selling the current captain, replacing him with Toure, and just for good measure making Toure the new captain. Proved to be a bad decision IMO.

Toure is lucky to get in the team, never mind be captain. Also making him club captain means it is difficult for the manager to drop him.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wooders » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:46 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:The biggest decision Hughes ever made, and he got it wrong. Selling the current captain, replacing him with Toure, and just for good measure making Toure the new captain. Proved to be a bad decision IMO.

Toure is lucky to get in the team, never mind be captain. Also making him club captain means it is difficult for the manager to drop him.

I dunno about all of that, I still think it was a good move for both the team and dunnie for him to move onto pastures new, sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to reignite their career, I think this was the case with Dunnie. Hughes had a ready made dunnie replacement in Kompany so we didn't really need toure to be honest
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 am

Wooders wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:The biggest decision Hughes ever made, and he got it wrong. Selling the current captain, replacing him with Toure, and just for good measure making Toure the new captain. Proved to be a bad decision IMO.

I dunno about all of that, I still think it was a good move for both the team and dunnie for him to move onto pastures new, sometimes a player needs a change of scenery to reignite their career, I think this was the case with Dunnie. Hughes had a ready made dunnie replacement in Kompany so we didn't really need toure to be honest

I wouldn't have sold Dunne yet because I expected injuries & teething problems but if you want to build a side that passes from the back, Dunney's not your man, all it does is makes him nervous as he showed last season (& he ends up lumping it anyway).

I don't think many of us have overrated Toure have we? I thought the general consensus was we knew he could possibly be a good player but not whether he would be? I haven't seen proof of good or bad yet, just a defender in his 1st season at club looking like a defender in his 1st season at a club.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum