Vieira

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Vieira

Postby Geo123 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Dont think he covered much ground tonight but gave our midfield abit more stability and cofidence, played a bit higher up the pitch then i expected....one or two great passes...wasnt really putting himself about though....but if Mancini knows anything about this lad and thinks hes so important im shocked he played him the whole game as Im pretty sure now he will be crocked for the weekend.
At Arsenal he was known for taking longer then most to recover from games and thats when he was playing regularly.
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Re: Vieira

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:26 pm

CLASS PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS CAPABLE OF THE SUBLIME ..AS WAS EVIDENT WITH VIERAS (BETTER THAN IRELANDS) PASS TO ADE.

BUT IM SORRY - THE GUY IS TOO SLOW FOR THE PREM AND IS A LIABILITY IMO.
BAD SIGNING FOR OUR TEAM BASED ON TONIGHTS PERFORMANCE.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 pm

I thought Vieira was excellent tonight, all things considered. Best midfielder on the park. He was knackered after 80 minutes, but that's not a surprise. He gave the midfield a nice lined balance, his control and first time passing was sublime and for me, it seemed like he carried Barry and De Jong into fitting into a cohesive unit for the first time in forever.

Obviously not one to rely on every game, but personally, after that potential butt ramming, I felt he was a more astute signing than anybody was and is thinking.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby brite blu sky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:34 pm

i thought he was more effective at the start when he was a bit deeper.. he looked a bit lost at times higher up the pitch.

However he did give the midfield a bit more much needed composure, and i for one suspect that what Mancini wants is for the team to be more confident to be playing higher up the field, so perhaps PV had orders to push higher up if he could and try drag the rest of with him. Trouble is in my view it didnt really work and we started to struggle as soon as Vieira moved up to a higher position after about 12 mins or so.

Think we will see more of this though.
If it works i will be happy.. but im worried that it wont be easy and we dont have the luxury of a lot of time to get that right. ( also assuming that PV stays match fit )
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Crap at first half but I actually thought he did pretty well in second half when he got the engine going.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Funny as I was in text contact with Sister of Fu at the game first half who was moaning about him being slow and off the pace

On TV for the same period with the benefit of several angles and replays, he looked a different class in terms of positioning and his use of the ball which was sublime in parts in the first 45 mins.

There were some shocking performances tonight that I shall rant about elsewhere but Vieira was one of those who emerged with significant credit for me.

He's not as mobile/physical as the wrinkly one sure, but he can use the ball miles better

And on tonight's evidence his distribution is 1000000000x better than Gareth Barry's

I'd be happy playing 4-2-3-1 with De Jong/Vieira as the two or 4-4-2 with those two in the middle on tonight's form

Barry was shocking on the ball, fucking horror show stuff
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby simon12 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Some nice simple touches which moved the ball on quite well I thought.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby irblinx » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Showed that he can still pick a pass when given time but is painfully slow, let's hope he's just not up to speed with the Prem
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Kladze » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:49 pm

Geo123 wrote:Dont think he covered much ground tonight but gave our midfield abit more stability and cofidence, played a bit higher up the pitch then i expected....one or two great passes...wasnt really putting himself about though....but if Mancini knows anything about this lad and thinks hes so important im shocked he played him the whole game as Im pretty sure now he will be crocked for the weekend.
At Arsenal he was known for taking longer then most to recover from games and thats when he was playing regularly.

Got 90 minutes into his legs which is no bad thing.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Showed his quality at times, but didn't look at the races for large parts of the game. Hopefully that is just match fitness rather that his legs having gone!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Thought he was quality tonight and controlled the midfield, well played Patrick.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Geo123 wrote:Dont think he covered much ground tonight but gave our midfield abit more stability and cofidence, played a bit higher up the pitch then i expected....one or two great passes...wasnt really putting himself about though....but if Mancini knows anything about this lad and thinks hes so important im shocked he played him the whole game as Im pretty sure now he will be crocked for the weekend.

Thought he was the worst player then he pulled out that amazing ball.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby ant london » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Svensational wrote:It would've been tough for him, but the amount of times he lost the ball was just unbelievable. Dont think he would cut it for us full time.

Mate watch a full replay and concentrate on barry. He gave the ball away under no pressure time and time again. Vieira was stingy in comparison and when you consider how up to pl speed he is. Barry was shit, given was awful, as was toure, as was swp. Johnson good, zabaleta excellent tonite, the forwards ok. De jong and wayne not bad. Overall pretty terrible. Manager gets a C+ tops
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby StrikeAnywhere » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 pm

I thought he was decent in the first 45 especially that opening 15 minutes where we dominated. 2nd 45 he was past over for the most part but his pass to Ade was tremendous. However I thought he was always chasing the game and was seemingly second to the ball and apart from that one ball to Ade was very negative on the ball.

I for one thought Barry had a good game, certainly that first 45 from him was a lot better than recent matches.
StrikeAnywhere
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Grob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:28 pm

For starters, playing De Jong, Barry and Vieria in midfield tonight was at least 1 defensive midfielder too much.

Vieria was hit and miss on the ball but looked much more comfortable when Barry went to left back and he was left on his own in midfield to play the game.

Positioning as mentioned was a class apart. He knows where to play. De Jong sits deep whatever the weather and you often think from watching Barry that he longs to do the same.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:31 pm

Kladze wrote:

Got 90 minutes into his legs which is no bad thing.

I'm not sure that's a positive thing at his age, tbf.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Crap at first half but I actually thought he did pretty well in second half when he got the engine going.

this (forgive me).

got himself in order after looking in danger of going missing,
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:34 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:CLASS PLAYERS ARE ALWAYS CAPABLE OF THE SUBLIME ..AS WAS EVIDENT WITH VIERAS (BETTER THAN IRELANDS) PASS TO ADE.

BUT IM SORRY - THE GUY IS TOO SLOW FOR THE PREM AND IS A LIABILITY IMO.
BAD SIGNING FOR OUR TEAM BASED ON TONIGHTS PERFORMANCE

Thought I was going to have to give a full and frank statement on Vieira there, but yours sums it up for me. This is the best I'm expecting of Vieira, but I still live in hope that we see the old Patrick Vieira that we all expect.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 am

Have to give Vieira the benefit of the doubt after tonight as it looks like he is going to be in the team if fit and it is good that he got 90 minutes. I thought he looked a liability and did anything but boss the game imo. Of course his positioning was going to be reasonably good as he has a zillion years experience.And yes he made the odd pass ( one special one of course) but he was caught on the ball at times and generally so slow he makes Barry look like a sprinter.

Amazing how some have seen it so different. As with the team though if we/he plays like that all the time he/we will get found out easily by good teams.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BlueMoonAwoken » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:10 am

i thought he played well for his first game playing with strangers. Also playing his first game back after injury and first back in the prem for howerver many years.

But if your going to play you either need to drop barry or de jong and play SWP on the right, petrov or johnson on the left..

id want this

...........Dejong.............

SWP.......Vieira.......Johnson

...........Ireland.............

......Tevez.......Adebayor....
"We have Spread Our Dreams Beneath Your Feet, Now your Dreams Become Our Reality"
BlueMoonAwoken
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum