2 Notes on Given and Barry

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

2 Notes on Given and Barry

Postby Vhero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 pm

First my point on Given yet again today he punched the ball away when he should have caught it (and it probably would have been easier to catch it?) and not the first game he's done it. Makes me shit myself when he does it as it usually goes to opposition and fuck knows why he does it. I'm not having a go at his ability here or how badly he played I just don't understand why he keeps punching it away with both hands when he is surrounded by players and he can clearly grab it.

Second Barry I thought looked a lot more convincing at left back didn't he?? He instantly looked like the player he was when we bought him and started making some decent passes even at the other side of the field. Maybe he should start at LB in future. Maybe it's just me on the Barry thing though but he really seemed to be playing lot better soon as we took Bridge off.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: 2 Notes on Given and Barry

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 pm

I know what you mean about Given, i really don't know why he can't come and catch the ball. Even the commentator on my stream was saying he didn't understand why he didn't catch the ball 8 yards in the box when he was already 5 yards off his line anyway!!!!
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:50 pm

RE: Barry. He cannot play with De Jong. He's lost in midfield. It's not an injury, he's not out of form, he simply cannot play with Nigel with his current set of tactical instructions.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby Vhero » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:RE: Barry. He cannot play with De Jong. He's lost in midfield. It's not an injury, he's not out of form, he simply cannot play with Nigel with his current set of tactical instructions.

Probably mate there definitely something there. They was saying in the match he usually scores more in a season too.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:RE: Barry. He cannot play with De Jong. He's lost in midfield. It's not an injury, he's not out of form, he simply cannot play with Nigel with his current set of tactical instructions.

I agree with this. Another case of the Stephen Irelands? Though from what I've remember Barry played the same role for Villa for years and has a very similar one for England. Can he adapt well?

Given seemed loads more nervous today. I think some of the recent pressure has gotten to him. At least he did come out this time though.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 am

My issue with Given is when he tries to take the piss before kicking the ball. He nearly came unstuck today. Also his kicking is often dodgy.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 am

Given needs to know that he can be dropped.

His performance tonight was poor. He was totally disinterested . I can't believe his behaviour.

very unprofessional , delayed passes and then every ball he hoofed up foreward hit a Bolton player !

Needs a big kick up the ass. We are in fourth place and going forward .No time for lackies.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:14 am

Nick wrote:My issue with Given is when he tries to take the piss before kicking the ball. He nearly came unstuck today. Also his kicking is often dodgy.

It looked to me like he'd been told he had a couple of laps to do for every time he hoofed the ball upfield and was desperately trying to get options to build from the back.

Make their forwards waste that bit more energy when their game-plan involves running you down.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ryanmjo » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 am

zuricity wrote:Given needs to know that he can be dropped.

Can he though? I certainly agree he was poor, but I haven't been terribly impressed with Taylor the two times I've seen him play.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:12 am

ryanmjo wrote:
zuricity wrote:Given needs to know that he can be dropped.

Can he though? I certainly agree he was poor, but I haven't been terribly impressed with Taylor the two times I've seen him play.

not unless he's injured. Without Hart on the bench you'd be a fucking ra-tard to drop Shay for Taylor given nearly any circumstance save dismemberment or blindness.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Slim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 am

Given's distribution and short tether have always been a problem for me, he is exceptional in other areas though and would you rather he punched the ball that ended up coming to nothing and failed to make the reflex save when we were 1-0 up and Lee Pyong Gong was through on goal OR the other way around?

Barry I thought looked very tidy today in both positions, nothing wrong with his play today and got forward nicely to support the forward line.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum