Happy?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Happy With Yesterdays Performance?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes : 67

Re: Happy?

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 am

I'll never understand people who would rather watch shit football as long as they win.

Why do we all watch football? To be entertained. I know ideally everyone wants to mix the two together like Barca.

The fun in football is the entertainment, the trophies are a bonus/reward.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:03 pm

trophies are for players. That's why they play.
If you are a player, then you should have a win at all costs "mindset" because there will always be a team better skilled or better drilled than yours.
as a spectator, I need to be entertained and to have the pleasure of knowing we won not because we were lucky or negative, or dirty, but because we outthought and/or outplayed the other lot.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:trophies are for players. That's why they play.
If you are a player, then you should have a win at all costs "mindset" because there will always be a team better skilled or better drilled than yours.
as a spectator, I need to be entertained and to have the pleasure of knowing we won not because we were lucky or negative, or dirty, but because we outthought and/or outplayed the other lot.

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:I'll never understand people who would rather watch shit football as long as they win.

Why do we all watch football? To be entertained. I know ideally everyone wants to mix the two together like Barca.

I've had enough of that.I want to win.
Rag_hater

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:12 pm

After so many years of failure, it is reasonaable to want success. In fact there are some who have never seen any success and they want it at almost any price. A win is a win and three points gives you that satisfied feeling when you leave the grounD that "WE WON".
A quick look at the league table and the fact that we should be in the next round of the Cup when the draw is made also has a level of satisfaction that we can all enjoy.
...and lastly, the chance to look forward and dream that we could finish in the top 4 and/or win the cup gives us a level of enjoyment.

BUT AT WHAT PRICE?....AND IS IT A PRICE WE WANT TO PAY?
I look at our squad and the quality we can put on the field. I look at some of the great football I know they are capable of...because I've seen it and I feel disappointed that what I am seeing now is FUNCTIONAL rather than ENTERTAINING. These players are capable of giving us so much more...and I would like to see that.
If I was only worried about the result, there would be little point in attending. When I sit in a cold stand for 90 minutes, I want to see something. Not a machine with its cogs all woking efficiently and boring me to tears. I want to see a show. I want to go "WOW" and I want to cheer and applaud great passes, great movement, great individual skills.
Last night, there was an inevitability that we won win. Apart from a couple of incidents, I was NOT entertained. I was frustrated at the apparent confusion, at bad passing, the lack of movement, the lack of exciting football.
Last night, I sat and watched with very little excitement, too few chances to shout "WOW" and at the end only had the satisfaction of the score...Not the satisfaction of the performance.
WITH THE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD...I FELT SOMEWHAT CHEATED.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:20 pm

john68 wrote:After so many years of failure, it is reasonaable to want success. In fact there are some who have never seen any success and they want it at almost any price. A win is a win and three points gives you that satisfied feeling when you leave the grounD that "WE WON".
A quick look at the league table and the fact that we should be in the next round of the Cup when the draw is made also has a level of satisfaction that we can all enjoy.
...and lastly, the chance to look forward and dream that we could finish in the top 4 and/or win the cup gives us a level of enjoyment.

BUT AT WHAT PRICE?....AND IS IT A PRICE WE WANT TO PAY?
I look at our squad and the quality we can put on the field. I look at some of the great football I know they are capable of...because I've seen it and I feel disappointed that what I am seeing now is FUNCTIONAL rather than ENTERTAINING. These players are capable of giving us so much more...and I would like to see that.
If I was only worried about the result, there would be little point in attending. When I sit in a cold stand for 90 minutes, I want to see something. Not a machine with its cogs all woking efficiently and boring me to tears. I want to see a show. I want to go "WOW" and I want to cheer and applaud great passes, great movement, great individual skills.
Last night, there was an inevitability that we won win. Apart from a couple of incidents, I was NOT entertained. I was frustrated at the apparent confusion, at bad passing, the lack of movement, the lack of exciting football.
Last night, I sat and watched with very little excitement, too few chances to shout "WOW" and at the end only had the satisfaction of the score...Not the satisfaction of the performance.
WITH THE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD...I FELT SOMEWHAT CHEATED.

I'm sure you know though John, that you a lot of the time dont get what you want.
And if being a little bit bored is the price of getting some of what we want then surely its a price worth paying.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Rag_hater wrote:

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:I'll never understand people who would rather watch shit football as long as they win.

text MY MCITY to 68886
Original Dub

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm the reverse Marky. Sure it's nice to win in style but if we win every game 1-0 for the season a la Arsenal 1971 and win the league then I'm cool with that.

I actually watch City to watch us win.

Would you rather lose a brilliant 5-4 than win a dull 1-0? Not me mate!

I watch other teams playing each other for incidental 'entertainment'.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby ronk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

It wasn't a great performance and there were times when it was obvious that we were forcing a tactical plan rather than playing natural football with a disjointed result.

But I was entertained. There was some good football on show. Johnson was electric, we tried to pass our way through Bolton (even if we weren't doing such a great job), in the first 10 minutes we came out of the traps and could have killed off the match the way we were cutting them apart. But when we didn't win it there and then we never looked as good. We changed formation well in response to them -- that's always pleasing to see, who doesn't get something from that.

In a lot of ways there was a little of something for every fan. We worked hard especially from the front, we passed the ball, there was some good running at defenders, we were reasonably solid, kept a clean sheet, brought back/introduced different players who we've missed, won, Adam Johnson, Vieira passed well at times, Adebayor, Adebayor's goal &c.

Atmosphere is never as good for mid-week games.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Rag_hater » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:

text MY MCITY to 68886

If my internet breaks down I might have to
Rag_hater

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm

john@staustell wrote:

I'm the reverse Marky. Sure it's nice to win in style but if we win every game 1-0 for the season a la Arsenal 1971 and win the league then I'm cool with that.

I actually watch City to watch us win.

Would you rather lose a brilliant 5-4 than win a dull 1-0? Not me mate!

I watch other teams playing each other for incidental 'entertainment'.

I'm right with you. And that last sentence is ingenious.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Have I missed it or has nobody started a thread on player ratings for the Bolton game?

Symptomatic of not being happy with the game that nobody could be bothered thinking about individual perfromances when the team's was so poor.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:47 pm

ronk wrote:
Atmosphere is never as good for mid-week games.

It was like death & not just because of a midweek game. We have to improve from that or we'll start losing at home it will turn nasty. Some City fans may settle for crap football & winning but very few City fans will settle for crap football & not winning. It was one Bolton goal away from open hostility last night.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Have I missed it or has nobody started a thread on player ratings for the Bolton game?

Symptomatic of not being happy with the game that nobody could be bothered thinking about individual perfromances when the team's was so poor.

thats your interperation mate, dont think it was a poor performance at all.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Have I missed it or has nobody started a thread on player ratings for the Bolton game?

thats your interperation mate, dont think it was a poor performance at all.

Hold on, there's arguments all over the board about whether your preference is entertainment or results.... that's one thing, but you're actually happy with the performance itself?!!

They mad us look very very ordinary.... actually no, cuntface Coyle got it wrong - we made ourselves look very very ordinary and its largely because our midfield had scored one goal between them this season.

That was a DROSS performance mate - delighted with the result of course, but no doubt it was our second DROSS home performance against terrible opposition on the bounce.

If we "perform" like that against Spurs and Liverpool we will have the shite knocked out of us, because Bolton would have at least drawn if they'd a better quality of player in attack and the linesman hadn't helped us out.
Original Dub

Postby pepsi_dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

I voted yes....

It wasn't the best performace we're ever likely to see, but at the end of the day, the players went out there and they did their job, the got two goals, kept a clean sheet, and ultimately got the 3 points. It's a results business, not a performances business..... and we got the result, end of!!!

I'm happy because the performance got the job done, but I also don't think that was anywhere near our best performance.

Question, why do we need to perform to the aboslute top of our game against teams like Bolton, when last night clearly showed that we simply don't/didn't need to?
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 pm

I suppose ity all comes down to what you want for your money.

If I had not bothered to attend, I would have missed the shite and been happy with the result.
If I attend, I have paid to be entertained.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Geo123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:30 pm

Rag_hater wrote:I was very happy with last nights game.If we play like that for the rest of the season it will be fine by me.The only week links for me last night were PV and maybe Shay.The rest were 7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

7 or 8 out of ten....Tevez and Ade were shocking, its all well and good saying there strikers their job is to score but against any have decent side they wouldnt of tonight... Ades whilst a good finish was due to shocking defending and Tevez well what can i say (very lucky).....

These players created nothing together...i couldnt see cole giving away a penalty that easily or Ade getting that time and space against Terry. That free Tevez hit off the bar was a floater if that had went in from that distance, Jussi would want putting down.
Geo123
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:31 pm

pepsi_dave wrote:I voted yes....

It wasn't the best performace we're ever likely to see, but at the end of the day, the players went out there and they did their job, the got two goals, kept a clean sheet, and ultimately got the 3 points. It's a results business, not a performances business..... and we got the result, end of!!!

I'm happy because the performance got the job done, but I also don't think that was anywhere near our best performance.

Question, why do we need to perform to the aboslute top of our game against teams like Bolton, when last night clearly showed that we simply don't/didn't need to?

Answer - because you want to breed confidence throughout the squad and knocking the shit out of lesser teams at home is a fantastic way to get into your groove for tough away games and upcoming games against the top sides in the country.

Nervy, negative home performances don't, as proven after the Pompey game which led to our loss against Hull.

I'm hoping to God that this latest performance doesn't have the same effect again, but nothing I've seen SO FAR convinces me this won't be case.

Hopeful, but very worried. That's how'd describe my feeling going into every game lately. Its probably how the players feel too, because that's how it looks SO FAR.
Original Dub

Postby pepsi_dave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Answer - because you want to breed confidence throughout the squad and knocking the shit out of lesser teams at home is a fantastic way to get into your groove for tough away games and upcoming games against the top sides in the country.

Nervy, negative home performances don't, as proven after the Pompey game which led to our loss against Hull.

I'm hoping to God that this latest performance doesn't have the same effect again, but nothing I've seen SO FAR convinces me this won't be case.

Hopeful, but very worried. That's how'd describe my feeling going into every game lately. Its probably how the players feel too, because that's how it looks SO FAR.

Although I can see your point, I'm not so sure it's as simple as that. You need confidence to put in confident performances, and after the OT defeat, and in the way that it happend, and in that stage of the competition, it really knocked the stuffing out of us, you could see that agains portsmouth.

The hull game also showed that, but surely the only way of building confidence is by winning matches, keeping clean sheets surely must help build confidence aswell. I would imagine that we'll beat stoke on saturday, and following that assuming we can get a result at stoke away, by the time the liverpool comes round, 3 wins on the bounce (hopefully), and a "6 pointer" against our 4th spot rivals at the moment would surely be enough to bring out the confidence in the players, especially in front of our own fans.....

Confidence doesnt just appear in the snap of the fingers or one result (It can however leave in the blink of an eye as we have seen) it has to grow..... I firmly believe that last night will improve our confidence, and thats exactly what we need at the mo going into a 5th round cup draw against the same team we'll be playing away 3 days later.
Derby Day The Scores Were Level
Then The Goat Was Fed By Neville
Silly Boy Should Know For Sure
Feed The Goat and He Will Score
pepsi_dave
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Gods Own Club
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm

pepsi_dave wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Although I can see your point, I'm not so sure it's as simple as that. You need confidence to put in confident performances, and after the OT defeat, and in the way that it happend, and in that stage of the competition, it really knocked the stuffing out of us, you could see that agains portsmouth.

The hull game also showed that, but surely the only way of building confidence is by winning matches, keeping clean sheets surely must help build confidence aswell. I would imagine that we'll beat stoke on saturday, and following that assuming we can get a result at stoke away, by the time the liverpool comes round, 3 wins on the bounce (hopefully), and a "6 pointer" against our 4th spot rivals at the moment would surely be enough to bring out the confidence in the players, especially in front of our own fans.....

Confidence doesnt just appear in the snap of the fingers or one result (It can however leave in the blink of an eye as we have seen) it has to grow..... I firmly believe that last night will improve our confidence, and thats exactly what we need at the mo going into a 5th round cup draw against the same team we'll be playing away 3 days later.

Fair enough mate, good post and I hope you're right, but you would have thought, based on that theory, that beating Pompey would have drove us on to perform against Hull, but the fact is that we look disjointed and being disjointed suits the dippers and spuds down to tee.

Having said that, the players should be able to lift themselves for the big games because they did so against Chelsea and Arsenal at home - I just hope we have a go at them the same way we had a go before. And that we don't line up with three defensive midfielders of course.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum