Happy?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Happy With Yesterdays Performance?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes : 67

Re: Happy?

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm

While quite rightly there is a dif of opinion about entertainment v pure results, thats always gonna be there. But wtf NQDP you seem to have a real bee in your bonnet with regards to other posters on here.. this 'theme' seems to have already replaced the stupid Hughes threads you were so good at keeping going. I for one hope this doesn't carry on much, while debate is really good.. obstinancy gets pretty boring after a while.

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:
I'll never understand people who would rather watch shit football as long as they win.
Why do we all watch football? To be entertained. I know ideally everyone wants to mix the two together like Barca.
The fun in football is the entertainment, the trophies are a bonus/reward.

Funny i was just thinking in relation to this arguement. As i live here i started watching Barca games, but slowly but surely i have gotten completely and utterly bored of watching them! Sounds crazy no? but the thing is they play football in exactly the same way every game.. move the ball around sublimely and dominate the pitch, the oppo and eventually score and usually win the game. Apart from some one offs - like the Madrid game that has added spice, it just all gets too fuclin predictable, the football is beautiful yes.. but very predictable beauty. Ok Barca fans dont mind this obviously, when your team wins 6 comps in one year it is very difficult to pick fault. I have heard that Arsenal fans get frustrated with their over elaborate play at times, but i guess thats when they dont get a result more than anything and spills over into a general criticism eventually, cos they dont seem to have another way of playing.

SO perhaps my point here is about predictability rather than anything. Seems perverse to be critical of Barca, and if i was a fan i would be happy as larry, but as a neutral i now take more pleasure in them struggling and very rarely being outplayed by Getafe or someone.

The Prem is touted as the most entertaining league, possibly because it is so much more unpredictable than Serie A or La Liga... i dont know, but as a City fan i cant watch my team as a neutral. i shit bricks when we are under attack and my feet lose touch with the ground when we slice open the oppo with sublime attacking football. So addictive is the rush of watching us take some team apart.. it is something i am waiting and looking for every moment of the game. Is that not the same for all us, however much results orientated you are?

IMHO top quality players will always err on the side of producing that kind of play, Unless they are under orders to curtail it and stick to their prescribed jobs. So really the arguement here that NQDP is sponsoring is really about Mancini. ( see subplot re:continuation of inane Hughes arguements )

Unpredictabilty is great to watch, but unpredictability doesn't sit well with consistency, and lack of consistency will not win you very much.
Bobby's first task was to stop the inconsistency, ie get the defensive mindset and organisation sorted. As he is new to the Prem, the players and the club, has basically to work with what he has ( not what he might want ) starting from mid-season, it is as obvious as fuckl that he is going to err on the side of caution. It is way too early to say anything about what style of play he may try to adopt longer term, but for the rest of this season he is under intense pressure to get results. I would say though that his buying of Adam Johnson doesn't suggest that he is looking only at defensive solidity.. in fact it tends to suggest the opposite if anything.

I think in our heart of hearts we all know what the job Bobby has to do.. and we probs know that this seasons run in is going to be about results rather than anything else. It is doubtful that we will see the teams on the pitch that we would like to see, it is probable that most of our football will be cautious rather than expansive. Personally that is not what i want to see but hey, needs must and we really really do not have any time for luxury. That said i hope that Bobby Manc is starting to learn that in the Prem restricting an opponents chances is better achieved by taking the game to them.

We have a problem with our mental preparation and attitude at City which translates into giving opponents space to play far too easily. In my opinion Mancini's initial emphasis on formation and positioning has led to us adopting a position on the pitch far too deep.. but i am reasonably confident that is more of an effect of the transition of tactics from Hughes to Bobby, and that he knows that we are playing too deep and is very carefully trying to do something about it.
Every game fro the rest of the season is like a knife edge.. so the margin for cocking it up and getting it wrong is as fine as you care to imagine.. that isnt necessarily the ideal scenario for trying things out. It defo is not the scenario you would want if you are learning about the reality of the Prem half way through a season with a team leaking goals and a club demanding 4th place minimum. I say carefully because he brings in Vieira to get us to try and dominate at least our own half of the pitch, but he kept Nige and Barry there just to make sure in case PV wasnt up to Prem speed with just one of them. We all saw overcaution, Bobby probs saw we didnt lose to a stupid goal while all crowded in our own area.

expect more of the same boys.. at least in the league. FA cup might be better, and Bobby is under a bit less pressure there.

can i also suggest lancing the boil and starting a fixed thread for the benefit of those here who want to pursue the lost threads of discontent and missed opportunity that a Hughes v Mancini debate allows.
There are always people who want to flog a dead horse, so why not just admit it and give them just what they want?
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:47 pm

So....we are set up NOT to lose....fine

The rags...Everton.....Hull.....erm!
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I have a problem with people around here? I argue with people who I assume can take it (Original Dub, And London, John68 etc) and even better, deliver it back. But it's not me mouthing off about knowing ten times more than you about anything or telling you to stick to FC Barcelona.

And it's always nice to hear when people tell me what I do and don't mean. I've tried to avoid ARGUING about Hughes and I don't care two shits about him anymore. Other than the next time he pops up at Stoke or Hull I'll be delighted to be freely able to call him rag bastard again.

Yes I'm talking about Mancini, who happens to be our current manager, does that surprise you? And all this bullshit about "hidden agendas" gets right on my tits. I feel I'm one of the people who have ALWAYS been open about my opinions. I didn't like Hughes, I like Mancini. I'm self confessed "Mancini licker". I've never hidden any of that have I?

So stop spouting shite from the sidelines.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

john68 wrote:So....we are set up NOT to lose....fine

The rags...Everton.....Hull.....erm!

It'0s obvious that it can't work every time, but then, attacking flair without defending well didn't work every single time either, so that isn't the answer. A balance of the two is ideal, but can only be achieved with time. However, you have to start from the base and build from there, so being defensively tight has to come first, imho.

Mind you, I'd love for us to play nice attacking football, but we have a target to reach and Mancini sees this as the best way to reach it. Only time will show if he was right or wrong.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Just to point out that its officially "Scarf Lover" not "Mancini licker". BBL told me so :-p
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm

irony of it is yeh.. set up not to lose..

it is what i see as the super over cautious approach we saw seeing at home to Bolton..

the Everton game frightened the fuck out of Bobby and he hasn't forgotten it in a big big way. imo.

So yes we were set up not to lose at Goodison and got well and truly stopped and outplayed. Scary..
he looked the nemesis in the face.. and it said welcome to the Prem!

ps. sick note is in the post john ;)
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

How very dare you lump me in the same skip as that coida swillin, shamrock muncher and that fez wearing, pyramidiot.
They're just a pair of know nowt, soft tarts.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

brite blu sky wrote:irony of it is yeh.. set up not to lose..

it is what i see as the super over cautious approach we saw seeing at home to Bolton..

the Everton game frightened the fuck out of Bobby and he hasn't forgotten it in a big big way. imo.

So yes we were set up not to lose at Goodison and got well and truly stopped and outplayed. Scary..

And then we went to Hull....
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

[quote="Niall Quinns Discopants"

So stop spouting shite from the sidelines.[/quote]

Disco mate.. i thought that is what ALL football fans do!
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

john68 wrote:How very dare you lump me in the same skip as that coida swillin, shamrock muncher and that fez wearing, pyramidiot.

ask me bollox gramps ;)
Original Dub

Postby brite blu sky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:06 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Exactly.. and that is my basic point. Everton scared the shite out of Bobby and he reacted by going deeper in his shell. I imagine due to his basic assessment when he arrived that we were fragile in defence. = Seriously try to shore up defensive play. We get tonked and he is on the back foot..

i dont think we have recovered from that yet, and for me the boat is out as to whether Bobby can sort it out fast enough fro the games coming up. I hope he does, but i can t see him going all guns blazing at this stage... unfortunately
[center]Image[/center]
brite blu sky

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 pm

brite blu sky wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Exactly.. and that is my basic point. Everton scared the shite out of Bobby and he reacted by going deeper in his shell. I imagine due to his basic assessment when he arrived that we were fragile in defence. = Seriously try to shore up defensive play. We get tonked and he is on the back foot..

i dont think we have recovered from that yet, and for me the boat is out as to whether Bobby can sort it out fast enough fro the games coming up. I hope he does, but i can t see him going all guns blazing at this stage... unfortunately

"All guns blazing" gung ho against likes of Spuds, Chelsea and Scousepool?

That's why you aren't a football manager I suppose.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:24 pm

Original Dub wrote:
john68 wrote:How very dare you lump me in the same skip as that coida swillin, shamrock muncher and that fez wearing, pyramidiot.

ask me bollox gramps ;)

Did you recognise someone in there eh?....and I would if yer had any...:-)
john68

Postby Blue2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

I dare most top managers set their sides up to win most games - it doesn't work every time funnily enough ask Fergie, and Ancelotti . The the point made is therefore ..er ...pointless.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:52 pm

I can't remember when taggart ever set up a team not to lose rather than win. I don't follow them that closely and you could well be correct.
john68

Postby Blue2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

john68 wrote:I can't remember when taggart ever set up a team not to lose rather than win. I don't follow them that closely and you could well be correct.

Never said that he had, although I bet he has. Has he won every game that he set up to do though?
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:07 pm

I am very happy (relief happy)about the 3 points, but I am not ecstatic about how we achieved them. Bolton were below par yesterday. I saw them against liverpool and thought they were turning a corner as they player very well. However, I think we should have gone for it last night. They were awful and cannot play the ball on the floor.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I just hope Mr Manc is learning all the time.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby JB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Happy with the result, but the performance was not up to scratch at all.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
brite blu sky wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

"All guns blazing" gung ho against likes of Spuds, Chelsea and Scousepool?

That's why you aren't a football manager I suppose.

Set up extremely defensive against sides like Everton, Hull, Pompey and Bolton? The thing is he IS a football manager....
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm

Blue2 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Have I missed it or has nobody started a thread on player ratings for the Bolton game?

Symptomatic of not being happy with the game that nobody could be bothered thinking about individual perfromances when the team's was so poor.

thats your interperation mate, dont think it was a poor performance at all.

There has to be somebody I suppose who thought the PERFORMANCE wasn't poor and if that's your opinion that's fine. But it didn't asnwer the question/point I was making that it seems the fact that many people seemes to think it was crap meant that nobody was interested enough to do the player markings. And before it gets sugegsted no I don't want to do it myself as it might get a bit depressing giving a top mark of maybe 7!
I voted Johnson as MotM and he was a bright star amongst the dross but even he didn't play that well. I can't actually remember much if anything he did in the 2nd half.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum