Sitting on the 3rd Tier

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sitting on the 3rd Tier

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:55 pm

btajim wrote:
I hate Rugby. Exclusive egg chasing for the Middle Classes.

i can hear the rumble of Salford Reds fans clogs on the cobbles now as they come to correct you on that
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
btajim wrote:I hate Rugby. Exclusive egg chasing for the Middle Classes.

i can hear the rumble of Salford Reds fans clogs on the cobbles now as they come to correct you on that

Rugby League? I meant Union with Henry, Charles and Giles Fortesque-Smithe... League is more acceptable.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Sod Salford Reds, Swinton Lions fans have their clogs on too. All 300 of them, pity th' owd club hardly exists anymore.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby 13021J » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:I've only ever sat in the 3rd tier twice and like you say Bingo the atmosphere is shit I normally sit in 106 in the south stand.

I agree, I avoid the 3rd tier like the plague, crap view (unless you are right at the front) and even worse atmosphere.

Think this would be different if there were three tiers all the way aound though.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby ruralblue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:08 pm

We were up there twice last season, the birds eye view is amazing. However the looks of disgust from those around me when I jumped out my seat when we scored was so so very strange.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Civilisation must be quite a shock for you South Stand neanderthals....:-)

"SOUTH STAND...SOUTH STAND...GIVE US A GRUNT..."
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Robert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:50 pm

i have to sit up there if its a full house, atmosphere is usually good because its normally a decent visiting team (rags, chelsea etc) would never sit up there if it wasn't a sell-out, the view is good but it is from pretty much anywhere in the stadium
Robert
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:I know a few of you on here have seasoncards up their and I've got 1 question for you.....

How the fuck do you put up with it?

Its like a fucking star wars convention up there. Geek paradise. Everytime I shouted, sang, or swore, every fucker in my vacinity was looking at me. Everyone had a posh accent. 2 lads next to me were getting excited about us getting a goal kick. and were buzzing when Given neraly fucked up.
If the only way I could watch City was to sit up there week in week out, I'd turn it down.

Boring, boring, nerds.

Mate, I'm in the front row next to the South Stand and I sing all the way through, and give abuse when needed. Where I am there are many SC holders which makes for a bit of an atmosphere. It does me until I can get 3 decent tickets together in the SS.

Are you sure it was the stand or just you and your gimp mates not able to get people going around you ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mark Garrett » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm

I'm in 325, just to the right of the halfway line and it's a great view of the match. Atmosphere is fine as long as the rest of the ground is equally loud.

Last night and agst Pompey, the majority of the crowd was flat and so that was the same in the 3rd tier
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Mark Garrett wrote:I'm in 325, just to the right of the halfway line and it's a great view of the match. Atmosphere is fine as long as the rest of the ground is equally loud.

Last night and agst Pompey, the majority of the crowd was flat and so that was the same in the 3rd tier

I'm in 323 mate. Strange though seeing the SS empty with 5 mins to go.

Have you notice all the coppers and security on the spirals mate. I can't under stand what that's all about, surely it can't be just to keep the smokes in check? I was waiting for my little lad during the scum game and I was nearly hoofed out because I was texting him to hurry up as the 2nd half had started (he'd been down to 218 to see his mate). Luckily he came around the bend as I was having a stand up with them, as if I was after some agro with 14 ShowSecs and 6 coppers.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Nige » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:48 pm

i sit in 324 and I'm well happy with the view and atmosphere for big games. When pissed and I stand up shouting certain words like cunt and twat I get looks off blokes with kids. I understand their perspective though as when my lad (7) is with me I'm not too comfortable with anyone using those words near him.

Football has changed. I'm not a geek or prawn sandwich muncher nor are a few of the 'heads' I see knocking about at half time.

If I wanted a stadium version of Mary D's I'd sit in the Sough stand but I don't. From where I sit I hear the humour and abuse from SS while also getting involved when I want to. Best of both worlds for me.

All that said, front row next to the bench for Saturday!
lets wish for good days but not forget the bad days
Nige
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Fern 1

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:32 am

btajim wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:
btajim wrote:I hate Rugby. Exclusive egg chasing for the Middle Classes.

Rugby League? I meant Union with Henry, Charles and Giles Fortesque-Smithe... League is more acceptable.

League is a terrible game, crash bang wallop...nonsense. Now proper rugby, now that attracts a different class of sportsman ;-)

I loved playing Rugby Football, splendid game. Funny though that I have never really loved it as a spectator sport even when I played it seriously. Always loved playing rugby and watching football.

I agree with Sapphire also, I don't enjoy watching from behind the goal so much as along the side....110/111 is about the perfect position altho the 2nd tier there I imagine would provide the ultimate vantage point just minus the yobbery i so enjoy!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby john68 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:03 pm

Ant,
You great big southern jessie...Rugby Union is tarts rugby...that's why there are so few big clubs up here. Northern men play a proper code of rugby....MENS' LEEEEEEAGUE...played by men...for men.

How the fucl can you like a sport where the crowd handle the ball more than the players?
Kick Off....Team A kicks downfield...ball caught by team B who kick ball into crowd. Crowd pass the ball around.
Line out...Both teams do circus balancing tricks...ball thrown in then kicked into crowd...Crowd pass the ball around....etc

Come on Ant...do me a favour....bunch of bloody Southern women...and now they wear gloves FFS.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

john68 wrote:Ant,
You great big southern jessie...Rugby Union is tarts rugby...that's why there are so few big clubs up here. Northern men play a proper code of rugby....MENS' LEEEEEEAGUE...played by men...for men.

In Wales it's always been perceived in totally the opposite way. Rugby League was the game for money grabbers, whereas Union was primarily about the love of sport. That's why all the wrinklies went off to play League for a couple of seasons before retirement- to cash in on the money to secure finances for the future. The fact that they were able to perform in the twilight of their careers in a 'hard man' sport, and chose not to do so beforehand is telling.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Beeks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:47 pm

john68 wrote:Ant,
You great big southern jessie...Rugby Union is tarts rugby...that's why there are so few big clubs up here. Northern men play a proper code of rugby....MENS' LEEEEEEAGUE...played by men...for men..

League is the biggest pile of shite ever...stop start stop start...reminds me of that shite they call football across the pond

Give me free flowing union every time

fucking league indeed
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john68 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:58 pm

BIB,
Don't give me any of that amateur stays shite. That was nailed many years ago. Union players were well known for earning expenses (popped into their shoes in the dressing room).

And the proffessionalism of league put about by the Southern based media was a myth too.
Union was based rounfd the colleges and played mainly by self sufficient toffs.
In the North it was based rounf industry, often pits and players lost wages to feed their families if they played. The Northern Union simply asked to cover their lost wages. The toffs said no.

League wages is a myth too. It was only in the early 90s that Wigan became the 1st fully proffessional league club...that's why they dominated. I know that Salford players all had other jobs and their rugby earnings were next to nothing.

There were plenty of union players who switched codes in their prime. None went back because the RFU banned them from even entering Union club's bars for a pints.
As an historian...you should have dug a bit deeper for your facts mate.
john68

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 pm

john68 wrote:BIB,
Don't give me any of that amateur stays shite. That was nailed many years ago. Union players were well known for earning expenses (popped into their shoes in the dressing room).

And the proffessionalism of league put about by the Southern based media was a myth too.
Union was based rounfd the colleges and played mainly by self sufficient toffs.
In the North it was based rounf industry, often pits and players lost wages to feed their families if they played. The Northern Union simply asked to cover their lost wages. The toffs said no.

League wages is a myth too. It was only in the early 90s that Wigan became the 1st fully proffessional league club...that's why they dominated. I know that Salford players all had other jobs and their rugby earnings were next to nothing.

There were plenty of union players who switched codes in their prime. None went back because the RFU banned them from even entering Union club's bars for a pints.
As an historian...you should have dug a bit deeper for your facts mate.

In the early 90s my best friend's dad was a Welsh international. He supplemented his 'expenses' by being a geography teacher. This is the time I'm thinking of, shortly prior to the professionalisation of the game.

In the south of England rugby may have been a 'toff' sport, but there are a lot of Welsh, Cornish and Irish (particularly the West & South) people who oppose massive generalisations like that. The sport was based around industry in these areas too, but still managed to thrive, somehow.

If League was so unprofessional, how were Widnes able to pay £250,000 for Jonathan Davies in the late 80s, a decent sum for a top flight footballer at the time, and unheard of in Union?

And for the record, I'm not a historian. I don't even have a GCSE in the subject. ;)
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby BlueSince72 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 pm

I sit in the 3rd tier and like it...the view is great, atmosphere good for the big games and no one near me gets bothered by people shouting and swearing.

Sounds like the OP was just unlucky in sitting next to tossers, but that can happen anywhere in the ground.
BlueSince72
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Somerset Blue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Think the third tier is ok, if a little quiet at times - but then the whole ground can suffer from that. The view is great, and you never feel too far away from the pitch, unlike Newcastle where I felt very remote from the action.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:53 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
In the early 90s my best friend's dad was a Welsh international. He supplemented his 'expenses' by being a geography teacher. This is the time I'm thinking of, shortly prior to the professionalisation of the game.

In early 80s me and some of my RL team mates were offered pro contracts.
If you were MOTM and scored you could earn as much as 100 a week so you needed another job and teaching wasn't uncommon. Nothing much changed before RU became officially professional and that's when lads from South Wales started playing the game.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum