Portsmouth

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Portsmouth

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:06 pm

LB wrote:I thought if a club was unable to fulfil their games then the games will be awarded to the opposition team with a score line of 3-0

This is the only fair way to deal with this,

No it aint mate. That's not fair on the teams that have already lost points to them (not too many I grant).

They'll just take away their points from everyone and pretend they were never in it this season.

Can't help feeling they'll go in to administration though, not disappear yet.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Scatman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:07 pm

LB wrote:I thought if a club was unable to fulfil their games then the games will be awarded to the opposition team with a score line of 3-0

This is the only fair way to deal with this,

Let's hope so.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Wooders » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:08 pm

they've been given a week to sort themselves out - otherwise its curtains
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 pm

I don't know why they don't just leave the winding-up order untill after the season has finished then close them down.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Blue Blood » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Wooders wrote:they've been given a week to sort themselves out - otherwise its curtains

I think bar a miracle they are done for. Sad times.
Blue Blood

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

SHIT.

Just remembered that Liverpool lost to them. I'll be fucking fuming if they are awarded three points.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:02 pm

As Mark was saying, why don't they wait the end of the season to send them out of business? By the time a decision is taken it will almost be the end of February already, just another couple months or so and the Prem is finished...it's not asking much, is it?
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:As Mark was saying, why don't they wait the end of the season to send them out of business? By the time a decision is taken it will almost be the end of February already, just another couple months or so and the Prem is finished...it's not asking much, is it?

HM Custom and Excise do not think like that. They do not make allowances because its a football club. It's a business and they are failing to pay PAYE tax. Its all by the rules and they'll stick to the rules even if they don't make sense. Typical Government :-D
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby nick (duki blues) » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:14 pm

its all been adjourned for now but only for 7 more days
Last edited by nick (duki blues) on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick (duki blues)
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Scatman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 pm

MaineRoadMemories wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:As Mark was saying, why don't they wait the end of the season to send them out of business? By the time a decision is taken it will almost be the end of February already, just another couple months or so and the Prem is finished...it's not asking much, is it?

HM Custom and Excise do not think like that. They do not make allowances because its a football club. It's a business and they are failing to pay PAYE tax. Its all by the rules and they'll stick to the rules even if they don't make sense. Typical Government :-D

Typical government? Treating everybody the same?
Scatman

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 pm

really does look like the end for them. i can't see a new buyer wanting to get involved in what looks like an unholy mess of debt, ownership wrangles and relegation.

do we have any concrete info on what happens to points accrued/lost against pompey if they do go belly up?
The Man In Blue

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:really does look like the end for them. i can't see a new buyer wanting to get involved in what looks like an unholy mess of debt, ownership wrangles and relegation.

do we have any concrete info on what happens to points accrued/lost against pompey if they do go belly up?

OUR GOALS FOR AND AGAINST AND POINTS WON GO OUT OF THE FUCKING WINDOW.............THATS WHAT HAPPENS IF THEY GO BUST MATE.

WE ARE FUCKED.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:SHIT.

Just remembered that Liverpool lost to them. I'll be fucking fuming if they are awarded three points.

I have a bad feeling that this is exactly what will happen, we will get deducted 6 points, just watch this....
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:

I have a bad feeling that this is exactly what will happen, we will get deducted 6 points, just watch this....

I don't get this, why should other teams be affected by them going bust? I mean, why should we lose 6 points just because we beat them twice and then they go bust? It's hardly fair...why don't they just award 3-0 wins to all those who still have to play them, and leave the already done games as they are? It wouldn be fairer imho, wouldn't it?
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 pm

Would definitely be fairer to award each time that yet has to play them again 3 points rather than take 6 off us.

I think we would drop to 8th if that was to happen. What a fucking joke that would be, no way we would finish 4th then.
avoidconfusion

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:03 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

I don't get this, why should other teams be affected by them going bust? I mean, why should we lose 6 points just because we beat them twice and then they go bust? It's hardly fair...why don't they just award 3-0 wins to all those who still have to play them, and leave the already done games as they are? It wouldn be fairer imho, wouldn't it?

I think if it happens this would be a more likely scenario after pondering it for awhile

Taking points off teams would cause all sorts of shit...and I reckon no end of legal challenges etc etc
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby zuricity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:05 pm

Well they've just been given seven more days. So that's looking optimistic. Let's hope they can get their monies sorted out in that time.
Last edited by zuricity on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:06 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

I think if it happens this would be a more likely scenario after pondering it for awhile

Taking points off teams would cause all sorts of shit...and I reckon no end of legal challenges etc etc

This is exactly what does happen. Maybe someone should start another thread on it tomorrow :)
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 pm

avoidconfusion wrote:I think we would drop to 8th if that was to happen. What a fucking joke that would be, no way we would finish 4th then.

How the fuck do you work that out?

I would assume that most teams have played Portsmouth at least once due to us being over half way through the season

So it would only be a three point gain to anyone who has not played them a second time yet

Providing spurs and villa had only played them once...worst case we would drop to 6th on better GD than Villa with spurs in 5th 2 points ahead...we would still have the game in hand...Birmingham currently in 8th would have no bearing whatsoever
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby avoidconfusion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:I think we would drop to 8th if that was to happen. What a fucking joke that would be, no way we would finish 4th then.

How the fuck do you work that out?

I would assume that most teams have played Portsmouth at least once due to us being over half way through the season

So it would only be a three point gain to anyone who has not played them a second time yet

Providing spurs and villa had only played them once...worst case we would drop to 6th on better GD than Villa with spurs in 5th 2 points ahead...we would still have the game in hand...Birmingham currently in 8th would have no bearing whatsoever

You're right it would be 6th but the bottom line is we would then be 6 points behind Liverpool because they will not get any points deducted as they lost to Pompey. And we would be 5 points behind Arsenal who would fall down to 4th.

At the top the teams would lose:

Chelsea - 3 pts
Man United - 6 pts
Arsenal - 6 pts
Liverpool - 0 pts
Man City - 6 pts
Spurs - 3 pts
Villa - 3 pts

So the table would look like this:

1. Chelsea 55 pts
2. Man united 50 pts
3. Liverpool 44 pts
4. Arsenal 43 pts
5. Spurs 40 pts
6. Man City 38 pts
7. Villa 38 pts

Thinking about it some more... there is no way this will happen because look who would drop 5 points behind Chelsea. :)

Can you imagine the Nuclear Fallout from Baconface's explosion if this was to happen? And Arsenal would be hit relatively badly as well dropping from 3rd to 4th....
avoidconfusion

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum