The Premier League Handbook

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The Premier League Handbook

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:47 pm

Many posters talk about the rules of the game and what can and can't happen. The most recent case is Pompey. I think we should have the handbook as a sticky on the site so we can refer to the actual rules of the game as we debate them on a near constant bais.

I've done a quick search of the rule book and found this interesting paragraph.

[urlnp=http://www.premierleague.com/staticFiles/2e/6d/0,,12306~93486,00.pdf]The Premier League Handbook[/urlnp]

Relegation

28. Subject to Rule B.29, the bottom 3 Clubs in the table at the end of the Season shall be relegated to
the Football League.

29. If any Club ceases during the Season to be a member of the League, the record of the League
Matches in which it has participated that Season shall be expunged from the table
and the number
of Clubs to be relegated at the end of that Season shall be reduced so as to maintain at 20 (or, if
less, as near thereto as may be) the number of Clubs in membership of the League at the beginning
of the next Season.

30. If any Club ceases to be a member of the League other than by reason of relegation after the end of
the Season but before the Board has fixed the dates of League Matches for the next Season, the
Board may invite the relegated club which attained the highest position in the table referred to in
Rule B.20 at the end of the previous Season to rejoin the League.
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Re: The Premier League Handbook

Postby kinkylola » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:56 pm

figures that our first season seriously pushing for the top four ... and we're going to get a 6 point penalty.

unreal.
Last edited by kinkylola on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Well that's fucked it then

That means that people who have LOST against them actually have an advantage as it will make no difference in their points tally
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Like I said, extra three points in the bag for Liverpool compared to us (technically we'd lose three points whereas they'd stay at the points tally they are).
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Vhero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:15 pm

I had posted this in the pompey thread like an hour ago? I don't see why this needed a new thread?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby MHiggi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Vhero wrote:I had posted this in the pompey thread like an hour ago? I don't see why this needed a new thread?

So that we can use the handbook for any issue, rather than just Pompey related stuff. MRM might have even got the idea after reading your post (no idea), so you can have some of the credit if you want.
MHiggi
Superman's Underpants

Postby Vhero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:23 pm

MHiggi wrote:
Vhero wrote:I had posted this in the pompey thread like an hour ago? I don't see why this needed a new thread?

So that we can use the handbook for any issue, rather than just Pompey related stuff.

Okay but we are talking about the Portsmouth situation here on this thread I just thinking shouldn't that all be left in that thread?
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:30 pm

The FA/Prem League will keep Pompey going until the last game of the season, and if we are a point or so above Liverpool, the'll pull the plug.

Am I being cynical?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Nickyboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:36 pm

we will just have to deal with it.

if they deduct pompeys results everyone will still have played everyone else twice so don't see what the problem is...

We will have played 36 matches and if we deserve 4th we'll get 4th
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Like I said, extra three points in the bag for Liverpool compared to us (technically we'd lose three points whereas they'd stay at the points tally they are).

No mate, I think we'd lose 6 points and they have three given back? Is that not 9 points difference?!!

Or am I fucking losing my mind?

This better not happen - it would give "typical" a whole new meaning... we couldn't play in Europe last time we qualified via the league - why? Liver fucking Pool.
Original Dub

Postby john68 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Nickyboy wrote:we will just have to deal with it.

if they deduct pompeys results everyone will still have played everyone else twice so don't see what the problem is...

We will have played 36 matches and if we deserve 4th we'll get 4th

Though that may be true, It also means that we are being deducted points from agame we won....and a L'Pool who lost will gain.
To a point where thery may take pur place in the CL.
Seems undeserved to me.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Beeks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:No mate, I think we'd lose 6 points and they have three given back? Is that not 9 points difference?!!

You're losing your fucking mind...where you get 9 points from is anyones guess...possibly the bottom of a single malt bottle?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Original Dub wrote:No mate, I think we'd lose 6 points and they have three given back? Is that not 9 points difference?!!

You're losing your fucking mind...where you get 9 points from is anyones guess...possibly the bottom of a single malt bottle?

he's a bit messed up isnt he?
no OD they don't get "given back" the three points, cos they didn't get them taken away in the first place. They do however get a minus 2 GD written off and lose a game that they would have played later in the season.
Single malt, that's a good idea
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 pm

So as i type we are on the same points as Scouse1 1 goal inferior and by next Monday afternoon we could be six points behind and six goals inferior and we actually won both our Pompey games Scouse lost thier only one vPompey.It just does not seem right to me.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Tokyo Blue » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 am

Perhaps we could do something to help them then. Pay them 15M now for Begovic, and he moves to us in July. Sorted.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby ronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 am

gillie wrote:So as i type we are on the same points as Scouse1 1 goal inferior and by next Monday afternoon we could be six points behind and six goals inferior and we actually won both our Pompey games Scouse lost thier only one vPompey.It just does not seem right to me.

As I understand it the winding up order would force them into administration, it might not stop them fulfilling their fixtures. Going into administration gives them a lot of flexibility, they go down (as they will anyway), they can do deals with debt that might allow them to limp on and changes the position with regards to some of the crazy loan conditions they seem to have hanging over them.

Portsmouth have 7 away fixtures left. Southampton will go ahead and will be worth a few quid. Those 6 league fixtures become awkward (as do the 7 home games). It won't cost a huge amount to fulfil those 13 prem games but it will cost an absolute fortune not to. There are a lot of tickets already sold and a fair few that would have been sold, home fans can take a bath, they won't get their money if the club fold. How will Liverpool, Spurs, Burnley, Wigan, Bolton and Everton feel about their season ticket holders looking for refunds and all the other matchday revenue? Sky can cover other matches but the international market mightn't be so happy because they don't necessarily have that option where they were already going to show everything.

The West Ham-Sheffield United situation will have scared the Premier League from incurring the wrath of innocent teams fighting relegation. They're not helping Portsmouth, they're withholding TV money (more for everyone else anyway), but once they go into administration then Portsmouth are down for sure with that extra 9 points (that 8 point gap more than doubles) and the rules should change.

One of the great things about borrowing against future ticket sales is that anything better than making a loss before repayments can be worked with
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum