Hamburg in Uefa or United in Carling Cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hamburg home tie or United carling cup first leg?

Hamburg
81%
United
19%

Total votes : 47

Hamburg in Uefa or United in Carling Cup?

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:38 pm

Which night was more special, the uefa cup second leg against hamburg or the carling cup first leg against united.

I'm going for hamburg at home - I've never experienced such an atmosphere at a game and it really felt like a "special" night. We gave everything we had that night and were so unlucky not to go through. Even though it meant the end of the competition I felt so proud of the team and their performance. It was electric.

I didn't get terribly excited at all after we beat united by the one goal deficit in the carling cup. I felt we had let them off and that we approached the game (as we approach nearly every game these days) really negatively and also that our negativity would cost us dear in the second leg.

Anyway, what's your thoughts - I suppose it brings the style of football argument into another thread, but first and foremost I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind and that that Hamburg night was a very special night for most of us?
Original Dub

Re: Hamburg in Uefa or U***d in Carling Cup?

Postby Bingo Lewis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:43 pm

Derby for me.
It was as near to the glory days as I've ever seen it atmosphere wise and the fact it was 2 of the best teams in the country battling it out in a massive game.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:09 pm

Both had great atmospheres but I've got to go for the Hamburg game. We went out knowing we had to do and made it a real party atmosphere whereas the Derby game seemed a little muted compared, and had a more aggressive streak.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby The Man In Blue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:10 pm

in terms of the experience on the night the Hamburg game was unbelievable, i've never felt so proud of the team after a defeat.

in terms of result the derby, but it didn't really matter a fart in a hurricane after the second leg. so i've gone for hamburg.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Vhero » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Hamburg although the Carling was my first Darby the atmosphere wasn't no way near as great as the Hamburg match.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby MHiggi » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:in terms of the experience on the night the Hamburg game was unbelievable, i've never felt so proud of the team after a defeat.

in terms of result the derby, but it didn't really matter a fart in a hurricane after the second leg. so i've gone for hamburg.

I feel the same as this. The Hamburg game had more of an edge to it because it was a second leg and everything was riding on the outcome. And we played great. I couldn't get too excited/carried away about the derby win as I knew we still had to go back to their place.
MHiggi
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:26 pm

Just read the origin of this thread. Can we change the poll to 'OD' or 'NQDP'?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Just read the origin of this thread. Can we change the poll to 'OD' or 'NQDP'?

Very funny, we were arguing back and forth about which was a better night and better performance and its normally a good way to settle things...
Original Dub

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just read the origin of this thread. Can we change the poll to 'OD' or 'NQDP'?

Very funny, we were arguing back and forth about which was a better night and better performance and its normally a good way to settle things...

Who's being funny?

The thread did make me smile though, brought back some good memories. Thanks ;-)

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

[youtube]kRSYUpE4Oeg[/youtube]
[youtube]8yk9g-gBGpg[/youtube]

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:25 pm

Original Dub wrote:

The argument was about which was the better result wasnt it?

What was the better night, I didnt think that was in doubt...

Oh fuck it, I've voted united anyway just so Bingo isnt lonely
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby btajim » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Hamburg. That night will live with me forever. Such a brave performance. Had Elano's(?) shot scraped in as opposed to hitting the bar then we'd have got in to extra time. Only one winner there.

Lots of people said they were buzzing afterwards but I was really disappointed as I thought we'd do it. I remember one of the Lads in the Pub afterwards asking if I was OK because I was so gutted and my face showed it.

I've still got my banana, too.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Mark Garrett » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:06 pm

We were brilliant when we beat Hamburg and the atmosphere was unreal.

Agst United we were good and the atmopshere was still a few notches up on the usual 'derby' animation but fell short of the Hamburg game.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Good question. City won both games and lost both ties - they lost against U****d in the moment when Van der Sar saved SWP"s shot and stopped City going 3-1 up. I could pick the Hamburg game because it was when Elano gave his all for the first time in a long time, and seeing him put as much spirit as he has skill into 90 minutes was wonderful. But on the other hand there's another special player who gave all the skill and spirit he has into the derby too,Tevez of course. If you judge it by what winning the ties would have meant,it's a choice between a cup final in Istanbul and a cup final at Wembley with City being favourites (just) in each case. Overall I'd go for the Hamburg game as more enjoyable because playing the rags can never be enjoyable, the mere presence on or near the field of the loathsome Rooney, Neville, & Ferguson and the rag fans massed in the stands makes playing them a noxious, stomach-turning experience that could only be relieved by City winning by 7-0 or more.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby Mase » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Tough.
I had to watch the Hamburg match in work and I literally stopped working for the whole match and just sat in front of a TV in the office shouting, swearing, breaking chairs. And when they scored I actually said out loud "it's over!" but I was so proud at how every single one of those players gave their all that night and at the final whistle I felt like crying because I was that proud of the lads. Shout out to Big Phil that night as well for acting as a battering ram, literally!

With the United match even when we went behind I always thought 'we can still get back in this!'. Obviously it was good beating those rag cunts, but I still didn't get as excited like I did for the Hamburg match. Maybe because I knew there was a second leg to come whereas Ham was all or nothing.

Hamburger for me.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:53 pm

Question was about result, not atmosphere in the ground.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Goaters 103 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:58 pm

As we didn't advance in either tie I prefer to forget them both to be honest. The next great semi or even quarter final we advance in will be the best memory for me, followed hopefully by a win in the final.

Its high time we won something and the FA Cup this year is a golden opportunity if we can avoid making a town halls of it as usual.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Question was about result, not atmosphere in the ground.

What was the aggregate result for both games mate?

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Question was about result, not atmosphere in the ground.

That's not what Dub has asked though. He asked which night was more 'special'.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Look closer and it should be 'Hughes' or 'Mancini'?

Both were shite because we lost. The Utd result was marginally less shite because they are a better team and for the first time in memory playing City and beating us suddenly mattered like it was life or death and in a sense they were right. It was life or death for them. For us it was about getting to our first proper final since '81

The CC semi against Utd was the moment we sat down at the top table.

Ended up with a f**king doggy bag mind but I think it will proven to have been a pivotal moment.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum