Hamburg in Uefa or United in Carling Cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Hamburg home tie or United carling cup first leg?

Hamburg
81%
United
19%

Total votes : 47

Re: Hamburg in Uefa or U***d in Carling Cup?

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just read the origin of this thread. Can we change the poll to 'OD' or 'NQDP'?

Look closer and it should be 'Hughes' or 'Mancini'?

Both were shite because we lost. The Utd result was marginally less shite because they are a better team and for the first time in memory playing City and beating us suddenly mattered like it was life or death and in a sense they were right. It was life or death for them. For us it was about getting to our first proper final since '81

The CC semi against Utd was the moment we sat down at the top table.

Ended up with a f**king doggy bag mind but I think it will proven to have been a pivotal moment.

I disagree mate, we didn't sit down at the top table, all's we did was push them into admitting that we are getting there. And these games were not about 'Hughes' or 'Mancini', these games were about 'Us' and 'Man City', the managers in these games were an aside.

For me, the CC was a dream, but only that. I seen the UEFA Cup as a 'massive' (there's your favourite scum joke) achievement in a transitional season compared to the CC which I classed as a secondary principle compared to gaining a fourth in the league. Remember, when you consider we were in the relegation zone come Christmas, it made a hell of a difference to our season, whilst now we still have the more lucrative/prestigious FA Cup to look forward to.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby BobKowalski » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Just read the origin of this thread. Can we change the poll to 'OD' or 'NQDP'?

Both were shite because we lost. The Utd result was marginally less shite because they are a better team and for the first time in memory playing City and beating us suddenly mattered like it was life or death and in a sense they were right. It was life or death for them. For us it was about getting to our first proper final since '81

Ended up with a f**king doggy bag mind but I think it will proven to have been a pivotal moment.

I disagree mate, we didn't sit down at the top table, all's we did was push them into admitting that we are getting there. And these games were not about 'Hughes' or 'Mancini', these games were about 'Us' and 'Man City', the managers in these games were an aside.

For me, the CC was a dream, but only that. I seen the UEFA Cup as a 'massive' (there's your favourite scum joke) achievement in a transitional season compared to the CC which I classed as a secondary principle compared to gaining a fourth in the league. Remember, when you consider we were in the relegation zone come Christmas, it made a hell of a difference to our season, whilst now we still have the more lucrative/prestigious FA Cup to look forward to.

The thread is about Hughes and Mancini and the CC semi was more then them admitting we were getting there. The semi was more important to them then the cup final. Up to that point they (and most others) had been patronising, condescending and occasionally irritated. The semi was the first time they blinked and the first time that beating us mattered more than winning the actual competition. The semi was their cup final and how many times has it been levelled at us that beating mu was our cup final?

But this is just my 2 cents. We all see these things differently.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

BobKowalski wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

The thread is about Hughes and Mancini and the CC semi was more then them admitting we were getting there. The semi was more important to them then the cup final. Up to that point they (and most others) had been patronising, condescending and occasionally irritated. The semi was the first time they blinked and the first time that beating us mattered more than winning the actual competition. The semi was their cup final and how many times has it been levelled at us that beating mu was our cup final?

But this is just my 2 cents. We all see these things differently.

Fuck me mate, I'd love to believe that but alas, my love of all things 'Typical' will not allow me too!

And as you say, we all see things differently.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Hamburg by a long long way imo. We were fantastic that night both team & crowd wheras both were well below par v rags.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 am

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Question was about result, not atmosphere in the ground.

That's not what Dub has asked though. He asked which night was more 'special'.

People were talking about atmos though.

But fair enough, clear majority feel that Hamburg result was more special. I didn't see it that wat especially as I was left gutted after that game but delighted after derby win (which admittedly turned to sour feeling after the return game). I'm firmly on BobKowalski's corner as I felt it really made people look at us and think "blimey, they are serious with this project of theirs" whereas I don't think many people even realized we were in UEFA Cup quarters.

HOLD ON! STOP! it suddenly came back to me. Didn't Original Dub say earlier in that season that UEFA Cup didn't mean much at all????? Or was it someone else? Apologizies Ronan if my memory fails me.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:47 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Question was about result, not atmosphere in the ground.

But fair enough, clear majority feel that Hamburg result was more special. I didn't see it that wat especially as I was left gutted after that game but delighted after derby win (which admittedly turned to sour feeling after the return game). I'm firmly on BobKowalski's corner as I felt it really made people look at us and think "blimey, they are serious with this project of theirs" whereas I don't think many people even realized we were in UEFA Cup quarters.

HOLD ON! STOP! it suddenly came back to me. Didn't Original Dub say earlier in that season that UEFA Cup didn't mean much at all????? Or was it someone else? Apologizies Ronan if my memory fails me.

'special' entails the atmosphere.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

No not at all mate - I was calling the first leg against hamburg our most important night in my lifetime and subsequently said the same about the second leg! Of course the Uefa Cup meant something - otherwise I wouldn't have went over to the Copenhagen, Aalborg and Hamburg home games!!

Something Slim always likes to pull me up on is the fact that I said if we didn't finish 7th or reach the Uefa Cup final I wanted hughes gone, so I clearly held it in high regard. I subsequently changed my mind once I knew the owners had given hughes their full backing and Slim has never really gotten over that for some reason, but that's a different story...

So yes, that night will live with me forever, regardless of what we do in the future. It still is the biggest European night I have ever witnessed city play in and it gave so much hope for the future because there was an extra special feeling in the stadium that night - like the way Anfield is always described on their European nights... the fans lifted the players and the players responded admirably.

Pride in battle.
Original Dub

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Well did not like choosing but I ended up picking the semi against the scum - based on the level of anxiety I felt leading up to it - I felt almost physically sick (even worse for the second game) - so my excitement levels were higher

For me though I would say that I enjoyed the 90 min atmosphere of the Hamburg game better - but the all round build up to the semi was much more intense
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum