What's The Cost Of Winning The Title?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What's The Cost Of Winning The Title?

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 am

Much has been said about the £250m+ that we've spent in recent seasons and, realistically, we won't be challanging for the league this season.

The amount of cash spent has seen us keep up the race for 4th for half a season so far but after recent threads here it seems many think that our current players barely make it as top four contenders.

The question is just how much transfer money do you think we'll have to spend to compete with Chelsea & United, if we take time out of the equation?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Re: What's The Cost Of Winning The Title?

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:58 am

I think it's not only a matter of spending money. Sure, that helps as we will have an always better squad, but without organisation on the pitch we will go nowhere. However, just to go with the topic, i'd say we might need to spend if not another 250m, at least another 150/200, also considering that we will rarely get a player at his real worth.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Vhero » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:59 am

The cost of winning a title is respect mate. These days it is anyways..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:10 am

We lack the experience of winning things and that's something that needs to be addressed first. Personally I don't think we are that far off top two on paper but on the pitch we are still lacking. I think once we win something, the rest will follow.

That said, roughly 50-80 million is still needed in key positions. At least one top top top quality centerback. One quality fullback. And one top quality playmaker and another quality central midfielder. Good striker as well. That should do it.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am

1 x Leftback
1 x AM
1 x RW

LB = £20M
AM = £50M
RW = £30M

so £100m

that would win us the league.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:However, just to go with the topic, i'd say we might need to spend if not another 250m, at least another 150/200, also considering that we will rarely get a player at his real worth.

I think this is the main point. How much would Spurs (a team I'd consider us currently on level pegging with) have had to have paid for each of our players? We've received about 200 mill worth of players for the money we outlayed. Fortunately, very little of that cash has gone to direct competitors, although I suspect our outlay on Arse players will end up being better spent by Wenger in the long-term.

I think time is the main factor, particularly in regards to defence.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Beeks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 am

Right Back, Centre Half and an attacking midfielder...job done
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:We lack the experience of winning things and that's something that needs to be addressed first. Personally I don't think we are that far off top two on paper but on the pitch we are still lacking. I think once we win something, the rest will follow.

That said, roughly 50-80 million is still needed in key positions. At least one top top top quality centerback. One quality fullback. And one top quality playmaker and another quality central midfielder. Good striker as well. That should do it.

I don't think we'll be needing another top quality playmaker while Mancini's in charge mate... in fact, its unlikely we'll need the one we have at the minute if we keep lining up like this.

The cost of winning the title is impossible to say LookMum, because its winning mentality, mixed with time playing as a unit, mixed with the right tactics. The problem we face trying to do it all so quickly is that sometimes when time is needed we throw money at it.

That will be our biggest obstacle IMO, patience.
Original Dub

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Vhero wrote:The cost of winning a title is respect mate. These days it is anyways..

did you have some #fail for brekkers?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:1 x Leftback
1 x AM
1 x RW

LB = £20M
AM = £50M
RW = £30M

so £100m

that would win us the league.

i think that's pretty well the cost of getting the quality there to really challenge in a title tilt. The tactics and formation will be the hard part. You might find that we make a cheeky bid for a striker or a CB as well tho, so i can see us spending another another 200M in the next 3-4 windows.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

I started this because I'm really not sure. I mean, look at Johnson. Everyone's raving about him. Granted he's only had two games but already he's looked better than bigger buys like Toure, Lescott. Some would argue he's shown more fight than that Brazilian lad we had too.

I think my point is that this big-spender label doesn't need to be on us. With the right man and the right system* I don't think we need to spend very much more at all.

*This is not Mancini bashing
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:49 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I started this because I'm really not sure. I mean, look at Johnson. Everyone's raving about him. Granted he's only had two games but already he's looked better than bigger buys like Toure, Lescott. Some would argue he's shown more fight than that Brazilian lad we had too.

I think my point is that this big-spender label doesn't need to be on us. With the right man and the right system* I don't think we need to spend very much more at all.

Yeah I agree, its kind of what said in my post as well... there's nothing to say we haven't already spent what we need.

OR

If we sell Robinho for say £20m and sell one or two others and get one quality player in an obvious weak position, then maybe the cost of winning the title is LESS than what we've spent.

If that makes sense?!
Original Dub

Postby john68 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Just because you spend money on the ingredients, doesn't mean the cake will taste good.
I agree that if you don't have the cash, you won't compete but even spending an arm and a leg guarantees fucl all.

It is about blending players into a team.
Playing your best players in their best positions.
Having the right mentality.
Having the will do win and determination not to lose.

It is probably a whole load more too.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:28 pm

john68 wrote:Just because you spend money on the ingredients, doesn't mean the cake will taste good.
I agree that if you don't have the cash, you won't compete but even spending an arm and a leg guarantees fucl all.

this^^
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm

john68 wrote:Just because you spend money on the ingredients, doesn't mean the cake will taste good.

[youtube]4HHT_V294Co[/youtube]
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:50 pm

cityPinoy_fc wrote:

this^^

that >>
Original Dub

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:56 pm

THIS ^^^
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby ant london » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Vhero wrote:The cost of winning a title is respect mate. These days it is anyways..

did you have some #fail for brekkers?

cheers

followed by a cup of herbal pessimism tea
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Original Dub wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I started this because I'm really not sure. I mean, look at Johnson. Everyone's raving about him. Granted he's only had two games but already he's looked better than bigger buys like Toure, Lescott. Some would argue he's shown more fight than that Brazilian lad we had too.

Yeah I agree, its kind of what said in my post as well... there's nothing to say we haven't already spent what we need.

OR

If we sell Robinho for say £20m and sell one or two others and get one quality player in an obvious weak position, then maybe the cost of winning the title is LESS than what we've spent.

If that makes sense?!

Probably about right imo, I dont think major surgery is needed to push on from here.

Bear in mind Vieira will almost certainly leave in the summer, possibly Petrov and Robinho too, we will need an midfielder who is adaptable enough to play in a deeper role than an out and out AM, to dictate the attacks, but who can also influence the play if they need to play out wide on occasion.

Ribery / Gerrard would be the obvious answers

Like you said though, if we get money in for Robinho, it need not actually cost us much more than we have already spent, as I think this £30m for either is way ott.

e
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:10 pm

Original Dub wrote:
I don't think we'll be needing another top quality playmaker while Mancini's in charge mate... in fact, its unlikely we'll need the one we have at the minute if we keep lining up like this.

We won't if we get through this season with Mancini still in charge. This is just a set up to grind out results as he was set a target and only had half a season to achieve it. I'm positive of it.

And if i'm right, we will need a playmaker, both the one we already have and another or even two as cover.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum