Kompany happy in the back four

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Kompany happy in the back four

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:56 am

Battle has been joined in the race to populate the heart of the Blues back four.

Joleon Lescott’s timely return to action against Bolton, Micah Richards’ recovery from injury and Dedryck Boyata’s emergence from the reserves have all increased the pressure on those in possession of the shirts.

And the man they all have to oust for a place is the bang in form Belgian Vincent Kompany who, after playing most of his early games for the Blues in midfield, has made a successful and eye-catching switch to the centre of the defence.

Half of Kompany’s appearances as a centre half have ended with a clean sheet for the Blues and he is happy to carry on in the role as long as boss Roberto Mancini asks him to.

“I have always said that it doesn’t make a difference to me whether I play in midfield or defence,” declared Kompany.

"I expect the same performance from
myself whether I am at the back or
higher up the pitch. The most
important thing for me is to be in the
team. That is what I want to achieve."

“If I stay in the team as a central defender then that is good. I am a proper centre half as much as I am a proper midfielder it really doesn’t make a difference to me. Different coaches have different ideas where I should play and that is fine by me.

“Hopefully if the manager sees me as a long term central defender then I can grow to be a top, top player in that position.”

Mancini is likely to have a nap hand of central defensive candidates from which to choose against Stoke in Saturday evening’s FA Cup fifth round clash at CoMs.

Micah Richards is back in training following three games out with a calf strain and the knee problem that forced skipper Toure out of the win over Bolton in the second half has not proved serious and he is also in contention.

The Blues will however be without attacking threats Craig Bellamy (injured) and Adam Johnson (cup tied) for the bid to make the last eight.

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Kompany happy in the back four

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I really like Kompany, and I'm chuffed he's in the team. I can't believe he was getting so much stick on here over the summer. There were plenty of people saying he is shit at centre half. All I can say is long may this continue.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm

a centre half that can see, and play a decent pass. I like
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Steve wrote:I really like Kompany, and I'm chuffed he's in the team. I can't believe he was getting so much stick on here over the summer. There were plenty of people saying he is shit at centre half. All I can say is long may this continue.

Totally agree.
And I still think he should be Captain.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Steve wrote:I really like Kompany, and I'm chuffed he's in the team. I can't believe he was getting so much stick on here over the summer. There were plenty of people saying he is shit at centre half. All I can say is long may this continue.

Totally agree.

I think you should be captain
Steve

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Steve wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Totally agree.

You know, I was considering offering my services.

I might just do that now.

Cheers Sibs
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Steve wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Totally agree.

You know, I was considering offering my services.

I might just do that now.

Cheers Sibs

No sweat. ILY
Steve

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:39 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:

Totally agree.

I think De Jong is more of a Captain.

We've been talking about great debuts recently (A. Johnson, Given, McManamanaman) and I'd like to proffer Kompany against West Ham. IIRC, the ink on his contract was still wet but he came in and did a great job in the holding role.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:43 pm

btajim wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Totally agree.

I think De Jong is more of a Captain.

We've been talking about great debuts recently (A. Johnson, Given, McManamanaman) and I'd like to proffer Kompany against West Ham. IIRC, the ink on his contract was still wet but he came in and did a great job in the holding role.

Spot on mate! He had me coming in my pants that day.
Steve

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Yes he's doing well - one of our best defenders in the last three games or so.

But none of our defenders look like top defenders and Kompany has been at fault slightly less than the others so in that regard he's looking better than the rest. I think Lescott is better though, but ideally I'd like Toure and Ned, with Lescott right back.

Our defensive organisation is shit though and its hard to say who the best is until we get working as a consistant unit and one weak link becomes clear... that hasn't been the case for a long long time and Dunne paid the price for that IMO.

Oh how I wish we had Dunne. Now that's a centre half!
Original Dub

Postby btajim » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 pm

Steve wrote:
btajim wrote:We've been talking about great debuts recently (A. Johnson, Given, McManamanaman) and I'd like to proffer Kompany against West Ham. IIRC, the ink on his contract was still wet but he came in and did a great job in the holding role.

Too much information, Steve.

I thought he was better than alot of the previous contenders for the thankless chore of holding midfield, though. Reyna the Crab or Gelson Fernandes / Fernandes Gelson.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:02 pm

btajim wrote:
Steve wrote:
btajim wrote:We've been talking about great debuts recently (A. Johnson, Given, McManamanaman) and I'd like to proffer Kompany against West Ham. IIRC, the ink on his contract was still wet but he came in and did a great job in the holding role.

Too much information, Steve.

I thought he was better than alot of the previous contenders for the thankless chore of holding midfield, though. Reyna the Crab or Gelson Fernandes / Fernandes Gelson.

No need to put it up in lights then jim. No it was a superb display, made me think I had never actually seen a defensive midfielder before.
Steve

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:06 pm

That's a good point re Kompany in midfield. I thought he was excellent there until he got injured, then he wasn't so good but it sounded like quite a nasty injury he was carrying. Are we sure all the current midfielders are better than him?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby john@staustell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Original Dub wrote:Yes he's doing well - one of our best defenders in the last three games or so.

But none of our defenders look like top defenders and Kompany has been at fault slightly less than the others so in that regard he's looking better than the rest. I think Lescott is better though, but ideally I'd like Toure and Ned, with Lescott right back.

Our defensive organisation is shit though and its hard to say who the best is until we get working as a consistant unit and one weak link becomes clear... that hasn't been the case for a long long time and Dunne paid the price for that IMO.

Is that in keeping with Bobby's policy of playing people on the opposite side to their good foot?

Seriously though, whatever people say Hughes was no fool, he knew that none of the available people (including the 2nd option Toure) were really what is required. That's why City put so much effort into Terry, and nearly, very nearly succeeded. Funny old world given current topics!! Chelsea had to really grind their teeth and give the mercenary 'Mr Chelsea' what they were never going to in wages.

If we do make CL we will stand a better chance of attracting the very top CBs. Lescott will stay for us and grow over the next couple of years, the rest I'm not sure about. Micah maybe.

Vinnie is OK in defensive 'all hands on deck' mode, very like Dunnie in fact but I'm not sure about taking us to the next level. However he is certainly good enough to remain in the squad. Most of his stick came about because of his sore toe, which is a horrible injury to have to play with.

Again, Ned is OK, no more. And you want to scream at him, with his build, with his strength and speed, and now his experience to go out there and command the game, take the game to the other side.

Has Beckenbauer got any grandsons?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Alioune DVToure » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Original Dub wrote:Yes he's doing well - one of our best defenders in the last three games or so.

?
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:14 pm

Sorry lads, I meant left back, give me some fucking credit FFS!!!
Original Dub

Postby Rag_hater » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:39 pm

A man who is good in more than one position and can have differing roles.
What a freak!
Rag_hater

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:46 pm

carry on vinny my friend you've been excellent at the heart of defence and your versatility is a big plus too. it won't probably be long before your captain as well.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Bluez » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 pm

I think that is the main point, its almost impossible to determine who is a good defender or not as none have had a run in the team due to injuries or suspentions. Right now I would just like to see the same four get a run of five games together and then we can decide.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Bluez wrote:

I think that is the main point, its almost impossible to determine who is a good defender or not as none have had a run in the team due to injuries or suspentions. Right now I would just like to see the same four get a run of five games together and then we can decide.

As a famous turtle once said:

EXACTAMUNDO!
Original Dub

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum