Ireland blames poor form on Hughes

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Ireland blames poor form on Hughes

Postby CitizenYank » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:58 pm

In the immortal words of Keith David:

"It's a crock of shit."

Sorry Stephen, come on let's man up.
Never touch the clowns. Let the clowns touch you!
CitizenYank
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City, P Timbers

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 am

Crossie wrote:Fact is that with him on the pitch we win more games.

He is more than an attacking midfielder, because although he play there best, he still gets stuck alot more than most, as his interception and tackle rate is usually fucking mint.

I think he is a fantastic player, just abit out of sorts right now, be it confidence and/or position.

It'll come good, keep your mouth shut Stevie and make the most of your chances, you can do it.

According to Stevie's career stats. we have won 68, lost 66 and drawn 36 when he has played ( including from the bench) since his debut. Source : http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=41708
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby eastlandsblue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:45 am

Why dont we just give him a chance to prove how good he really is and play him in his ideal position. Fuck all this crap about not being adatable, theres been better players than stevie who couldnt adapt, Gerrard is one of them.

We have the most fickle fans in football.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:51 am

BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:No that won't be neccessary, but thanks for the number. So you only came on here to vent about hughes, but when you feel Mancini has fucked up, you keep it to yourself? Right so...

"I'm a manager not a magician" After loss to Everton
"If we play like we did in the second half, we'll make top four" After losing to HULL!

I'm all for every city manager being a success and I'm all for getting behind him, but it pisses me off slightly when I see people carry on like hughes hadn't a clue when all Mancini done was prove we can beat the lesser teams and lose to any half decent one.

You see organisation, I see fear, negativity and boring boring football.

So while Mancini might be more to your liking, he has done fuck all SO FAR to warrant him being the bollox and hughes not having a clue.

We have not progressed YET. Some folk are jumoing up and down like we have, when we've only played two decent teams and lost three times.

Yeah I sulked after Hull. Not proud but its a fact.

And whilst we are on the 'ooh I hate Hughes' bollocks when are you going to quit hiding and come out and say you think Mancini is a cunt? Better than protesting that you back the manager (yeah right) and then bitch and snipe non stop. Come on man up. You know it makes sense :)

Not going to single out Original Dub here but I'm in general agreement. What went on during the Hughes era was that people would say "I'm not Hughes fan BUT....." and they'd call you all the names under the sun for questioning Hughes or being "anti-Hughes" and usually go in length trying to explain why he is such good manager although they were not "pro-Hughes or anything". Now that we have Mancini in charge those VERY SAME people say that "I'm not against Mancini or anything BUT....." and they call you all the names under the sun for sticking up to him and usually go in length trying to explain how tactically inept he is doing this and that wrong although they are not "anti-Mancini or anything like that".

That for me is ridiculous. You people need to have courage to tell what you really think imo. I didn't think Hughes was the man and I was open about it. I do think Mancini is the man in long term and I've been open and honest about it. No weird undertones or anything like that.

I DO understand when people say they are pro-City (we are ALL pro-City) and support whoever is in charge. That is admirable and honest point of viewBut it has recently become clear to me that there's obviously support and support. While these people gave Hughes aggressive support, they give 3000 word essay about tactical inability of Mancini and then half arsedly say in the end that "I support whoever is in charge" even if the previous 2996 words has said exact opposite.

For me it's that approach that causes the controversy. People not being honest or at least fair with their approach.

Fuckwit, cunt, moan, moan, you little shit, I'm a super Blue and you live in iglu, yada yada yada........
There, they are all said no so could we debate this civilised?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Michael Brookes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 am

Everyone agrees that Ireland basically plays well in one position only, so instead of just randomly saying "play him where hes best".. how about discussing who you think warrants being sacraficed to accomodate him?

The way I see it, playing stevie 'in the hole' means:
- We adopt a narrow diamond esque shape and lose our player of the season bellamy plus one of our other great wingers
- You drop one of; Adebayor (3 in 3 and second top scorer) or Tevez (15 in 15 and our most creative/attacking force)

So who do we drop so we can build a team around SI?
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Vhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:37 am

zuricity wrote:

He is more than an attacking midfielder, because although he play there best, he still gets stuck alot more than most, as his interception and tackle rate is usually fucking mint.

I think he is a fantastic player, just abit out of sorts right now, be it confidence and/or position.

It'll come good, keep your mouth shut Stevie and make the most of your chances, you can do it.

According to Stevie's career stats. we have won 68, lost 66 and drawn 36 when he has played ( including from the bench) since his debut. Source : http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=41708

Sorry mate people ignore stats on here and prefer their opinions as fact instead we win more with him on the pitch because they say so okay?

Not a dig at Stevie here but the mindset of posters making shit up as they go along to try prove people wrong.
Last edited by Vhero on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 am

Michael Brookes wrote:Everyone agrees that Ireland basically plays well in one position only, so instead of just randomly saying "play him where hes best".. how about discussing who you think warrants being sacraficed to accomodate him?

The way I see it, playing stevie 'in the hole' means:
- We adopt a narrow diamond esque shape and lose our player of the season bellamy plus one of our other great wingers
- You drop one of; Adebayor (3 in 3 and second top scorer) or Tevez (15 in 15 and our most creative/attacking force)

So who do we drop so we can build a team around SI?

Ireland isn't good enough to have a team built around him.

In fact you don't ever build a team around one player, it can't be done.

You can however build a team to accomodate one special player ( aka Messi ) and even Stevie boy ain't that special. Well certainly not yet.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 am

Vhero wrote:
zuricity wrote:

Sorry mate people ignore stats on here and prefer their opinions as fact instead we win more with him on the pitch because they say so okay?

Not a dig at Stevie here but the mindset of posters making shit up as they go along to try prove people wrong.

You are correct. I only went to the trouble to provide those stats because of the continuous generalisations on many threads . Generalisations , leading to assumptions that eventually become opinion forming. The dangerous side of this is the slippery slope towards forming attitudes from opinions.

Steve was without doubt playing well last season and started brightly this season, but it is not wrong to observe and comment on the fact that he is not playing well in recent games. He needs to adapt his game.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mase » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:55 am

The only problem I've got with Stevie is that more often than not he tends to go missing in games. Sometimes I don't realise he's on the pitch until he makes a mistake in the 68th minute! If he was having a bad game but still ran his bollocks off then I could accept that. But when he is having a bad game his head goes down and we don't see him at all.

I've never been his biggest fan, but I still want to see him do well at City.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:
Original Dub wrote:No that won't be neccessary, but thanks for the number. So you only came on here to vent about hughes, but when you feel Mancini has fucked up, you keep it to yourself? Right so...

"If we play like we did in the second half, we'll make top four" After losing to HULL!

I'm all for every city manager being a success and I'm all for getting behind him, but it pisses me off slightly when I see people carry on like hughes hadn't a clue when all Mancini done was prove we can beat the lesser teams and lose to any half decent one.

So while Mancini might be more to your liking, he has done fuck all SO FAR to warrant him being the bollox and hughes not having a clue.

We have not progressed YET. Some folk are jumoing up and down like we have, when we've only played two decent teams and lost three times.

And whilst we are on the 'ooh I hate Hughes' bollocks when are you going to quit hiding and come out and say you think Mancini is a cunt? Better than protesting that you back the manager (yeah right) and then bitch and snipe non stop. Come on man up. You know it makes sense :)

Not going to single out Original Dub here but I'm in general agreement. What went on during the Hughes era was that people would say "I'm not Hughes fan BUT....." and they'd call you all the names under the sun for questioning Hughes or being "anti-Hughes" and usually go in length trying to explain why he is such good manager although they were not "pro-Hughes or anything". Now that we have Mancini in charge those VERY SAME people say that "I'm not against Mancini or anything BUT....." and they call you all the names under the sun for sticking up to him and usually go in length trying to explain how tactically inept he is doing this and that wrong although they are not "anti-Mancini or anything like that".

That for me is ridiculous. You people need to have courage to tell what you really think imo. I didn't think Hughes was the man and I was open about it. I do think Mancini is the man in long term and I've been open and honest about it. No weird undertones or anything like that.

I DO understand when people say they are pro-City (we are ALL pro-City) and support whoever is in charge. That is admirable and honest point of viewBut it has recently become clear to me that there's obviously support and support. While these people gave Hughes aggressive support, they give 3000 word essay about tactical inability of Mancini and then half arsedly say in the end that "I support whoever is in charge" even if the previous 2996 words has said exact opposite.

For me it's that approach that causes the controversy. People not being honest or at least fair with their approach.

Fuckwit, cunt, moan, moan, you little shit, I'm a super Blue and you live in iglu, yada yada yada........

I think you'll find that a lot of people are unsure about Mancini. Anyone who says he KNOWS he's not the man is full of shit though because there's no way of knowing that at this time. If he loses the next ten games then it's probably fair to say he's not but if he finishes top 6 then he will have done what most people thought Hughes & this team would do & we'll be in the same position we were in. If he finishes top 4 he MAY have done better than Hughes would but there's no way of knowing that either.

What people can talk about is the football we've seen which, apart from 20-30 mins v Wolves + Scunthorpe has ranged from average to desperately mind-numbingly shite. Some of us preferred the football we were playing before & would rather have taken our chances on building a team that played that way in the hope that the problems would eventually be solved. The price to pay for that may have been some 3-3 draws or 4-3 losses along the way. I would much much rather have paid that price to build an attacking cavallier team that eventually succeeds than watch the football we now play & build a functional team even if it succeeds quicker.

HOWEVER I don't know that Mancini won't start playing football & go to each game hoping it will change. Hughes' football wasn't very entertaining when he 1st came although he didn't have the same quality available but still, I didn't enjoy the early games any more than a typical Mancini game so if that can change so can Mancini's team.

Amidst all this there's a squad of characters like Bob, who constantly nit picked at every detail during Hughes term now resolutely ignoring every similar move by Mancini & constantly digging out Hughes. It's hypocritical in the extreme & very annoying.

My position on Mancini is, I hope he starts playing better football. If he doesn't I hope he goes. If he stays I'll hope he wins every week & I'll comment on the football he plays & the decisions he makes but I won't do it in a biased, unreasonable manner like quite a few did with the previous manager.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 am

Vhero wrote:
zuricity wrote:

You're on a roll this week aren't you mate?!

So this post confirms we do win more when he's on the pitch and you then reply saying "people ignore the stats on here and prefer their opinions" whilst completely ignoring the stats?

Oh the irony!

Do you want to check those stats again? Also, I think folk were inferring that we win more when he starts, but it probably doesn't make much more a difference.

FACT is we win more than we lose when he's on the pitch. AS THE STATS SHOW.
Original Dub

Postby trout man » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

Lets be honest here, Stevie Ireland is not the sharpest tool in the box, there is no doubting his footballing ability....(I hope) and his footballing brain...but thats where it ends. He has had one PR disaster after another and most players have not had anything the magnitude of Grannygate, so the bottom line is he is prone to gaffs thats his nature and I doubt if that is ever going to end. In respect of his ability to fit into the City team; if he is poor at adapting to a different role then DONT FUCKING PLAY HIM THERE, he reminds me a lot of Rooney, when played out of position last year, in some games he was told to stay out wide and his performance was wank...not all players have the ability to be versatile and I believe he is one of them...stevie can defend and is a good disrupter of the opposition's offencive play...but in their half not ours. Stevie was at his best harrassing the opposition in their own half and springing on half chances in an advanced midfield role and running on to balls coming from the touchlines...it came naturally to him. I still think that he and Carlos can play in the same team as I genuinely feel that Carlos prefers to be an out and out striker.

Just on the note of slagging off...we (the fans) seem to be slagging off our players quite a lot on here recently...even stalworts such as Given, De jong, and Kompany have all came in for severe criticism and I have been guilty of it myself ala Barry and Micah. I think the pressure of this money and expectation is getting to us and to a certain extent is getting to the players, the owners and the management. We NEED results as opposed to wanting them because I feel there is too much to lose, including (unfortunately) pride (which I might add I hate Pride and I do not like our motto Pride In Battle...think its wank.doesnt instill any kind of real values...you know PRIDE COMES BEFORE A FALL) anyway, i prefer the motto of one Mr Craig Bellamy 'THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE HARDER IT IS TO SURRENDER'......pure class.
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 am

trout man wrote:Lets be honest here, Stevie Ireland is not the sharpest tool in the box, there is no doubting his footballing ability....(I hope) and his footballing brain...but thats where it ends. He has had one PR disaster after another and most players have not had anything the magnitude of Grannygate, so the bottom line is he is prone to gaffs thats his nature and I doubt if that is ever going to end. In respect of his ability to fit into the City team; if he is poor at adapting to a different role then DONT FUCKING PLAY HIM THERE, he reminds me a lot of Rooney, when played out of position last year, in some games he was told to stay out wide and his performance was wank...not all players have the ability to be versatile and I believe he is one of them...stevie can defend and is a good disrupter of the opposition's offencive play...but in their half not ours. Stevie was at his best harrassing the opposition in their own half and springing on half chances in an advanced midfield role and running on to balls coming from the touchlines...it came naturally to him. I still think that he and Carlos can play in the same team as I genuinely feel that Carlos prefers to be an out and out striker.

Just on the note of slagging off...we (the fans) seem to be slagging off our players quite a lot on here recently...even stalworts such as Given, De jong, and Kompany have all came in for severe criticism and I have been guilty of it myself ala Barry and Micah. I think the pressure of this money and expectation is getting to us and to a certain extent is getting to the players, the owners and the management. We NEED results as opposed to wanting them because I feel there is too much to lose, including (unfortunately) pride (which I might add I hate Pride and I do not like our motto Pride In Battle...think its wank.doesnt instill any kind of real values...you know PRIDE COMES BEFORE A FALL) anyway, i prefer the motto of one Mr Craig Bellamy 'THE HARDER YOU WORK, THE HARDER IT IS TO SURRENDER'......pure class.

Great post mate.
Original Dub

Postby trout man » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 am

Original Dub wrote:
trout man wrote:Lets be honest here, Stevie Ireland is not the sharpest tool in the box, there is no doubting his footballing ability....(I hope) and his footballing brain...but thats where it ends. He has had one PR disaster after another and most players have not had anything the magnitude of Grannygate, so the bottom line is he is prone to gaffs thats his nature and I doubt if that is ever going to end. In respect of his ability to fit into the City team; if he is poor at adapting to a different role then DONT FUCKING PLAY HIM THERE, he reminds me a lot of Rooney, when played out of position last year, in some games he was told to stay out wide and his performance was wank...not all players have the ability to be versatile and I believe he is one of them...stevie can defend and is a good disrupter of the opposition's offencive play...but in their half not ours. Stevie was at his best harrassing the opposition in their own half and springing on half chances in an advanced midfield role and running on to balls coming from the touchlines...it came naturally to him. I still think that he and Carlos can play in the same team as I genuinely feel that Carlos prefers to be an out and out striker.

Great post mate.

Ta OD,
Are you still on for the Derby on the 17th April?
Hoping our new rollercoaster gives us the thrill of our lives.
trout man
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Ellie and City
My favourite player is: Vinnie

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 pm

trout man wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Great post mate.

Ta OD,
Are you still on for the Derby on the 17th April?

I should be mate, but I won't know for sure until early March.

I'd say its 90%. What you gonna do about tickets? Actually PM me, don't wanna go too off topic!
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

I think you'll find that a lot of people are unsure about Mancini. Anyone who says he KNOWS he's not the man is full of shit though because there's no way of knowing that at this time. If he loses the next ten games then it's probably fair to say he's not but if he finishes top 6 then he will have done what most people thought Hughes & this team would do & we'll be in the same position we were in. If he finishes top 4 he MAY have done better than Hughes would but there's no way of knowing that either.

What people can talk about is the football we've seen which, apart from 20-30 mins v Wolves + Scunthorpe has ranged from average to desperately mind-numbingly shite. Some of us preferred the football we were playing before & would rather have taken our chances on building a team that played that way in the hope that the problems would eventually be solved. The price to pay for that may have been some 3-3 draws or 4-3 losses along the way. I would much much rather have paid that price to build an attacking cavallier team that eventually succeeds than watch the football we now play & build a functional team even if it succeeds quicker.

HOWEVER I don't know that Mancini won't start playing football & go to each game hoping it will change. Hughes' football wasn't very entertaining when he 1st came although he didn't have the same quality available but still, I didn't enjoy the early games any more than a typical Mancini game so if that can change so can Mancini's team.

Amidst all this there's a squad of characters like Bob, who constantly nit picked at every detail during Hughes term now resolutely ignoring every similar move by Mancini & constantly digging out Hughes. It's hypocritical in the extreme & very annoying.

My position on Mancini is, I hope he starts playing better football. If he doesn't I hope he goes. If he stays I'll hope he wins every week & I'll comment on the football he plays & the decisions he makes but I won't do it in a biased, unreasonable manner like quite a few did with the previous manager.

I think the argument about quality of football is quite valid actually. Past five games haven't been eye candy for sure. But I feel some people have short memories about quality of football under Hughes. Yeah, we played some good football in patches, that is without a question but he was no second of Wenger and Clough put together like some people make him out to be now. Some of the football was really dodgy under him as well albeit maybe not booring as in winning 1-0.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:

I think the argument about quality of football is quite valid actually. Past five games haven't been eye candy for sure. But I feel some people have short memories about quality of football under Hughes. Yeah, we played some good football in patches, that is without a question but he was no second of Wenger and Clough put together like some people make him out to be now. Some of the football was really dodgy under him as well albeit maybe not booring as in winning 1-0.

You should move this into the Mancini thread, but yeah, there's no way you were guaranteed to be entertained with flowing football every single game under Hughes - the birmingham match away was appalling, as was a few other away games, even the ones we won this season...

However, we're nearly gauranteed that we WON'T be entertained, home and away this season.

Also, I'm not sure anyone but you made reference to Hughes being a mix of Wenger and Clough... that's just daft.

Hughes was the most attacking and fluent manager since Keegan, Mancini SO FAR is the most cautious manager since Pearce... well Pearce HAD to be cautious, so maybe Sven...
Original Dub

Postby Vhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:57 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Vhero wrote:
zuricity wrote:

You're on a roll this week aren't you mate?!

So this post confirms we do win more when he's on the pitch and you then reply saying "people ignore the stats on here and prefer their opinions" whilst completely ignoring the stats?

Oh the irony!

Do you want to check those stats again? Also, I think folk were inferring that we win more when he starts, but it probably doesn't make much more a difference.

FACT is we win more than we lose when he's on the pitch. AS THE STATS SHOW.

2 more games out of 150+? I would say on average its the bloody same mate your really gonna go for this on 2 more games? You really are so much up Stevies arse its unfunny I cannot hold back no more with this but your dedication to him is beyond the joke. You can't see what is plainly obvious to everybody else and You are obviously up his arse as you have a huge sig of the guy (hell you accused me of the same thing for having a sig of Robbie so why not?).
You was never good at maths as a kid were you mate averages of them games state that him on the pitch make no fucking difference put him on for another 2 games and them stats will probably even out to won 68, lost 68 if he carries on playing like he has been doing lately. So on Average the stats do prove he has pretty much no influence on the game. As we neither win more or lose more on average. So i'm not on a fucking roll mate I just look at averages like most people not that 2 fucking games to prove a point so get your dick out of stevies arse (which is probably why he's been playing bad getting it up the arse by you) and actually write something constructive in future rather than having a go at me constantly yeah? This is the last I will talk on the fucking subject as I am sick and tired of arguing with somebody who is so up his arse I cannot have a constructive argument with so I will no longer talk to you about it. In fact I will no longer visit this thread nor talk to you about it in any other thread and ignore anything you say about it. God you make me so fucking angry.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Original Dub » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 pm

I've tried to be patient with you Vhero but you're a fucking retard, Doomy was bang on.

If you don't read the thread you post in, how the fuck do you think you're going to be able to give a reasoned response. You insinuated that "people" ignore the facts and make up that Stevie was injured/sick and that "people" ignore the facts when they say that we win more games when he's in the team. However the FACTS are that he WAS injured when you said it was excuses and the FACTS are that we do win more games with him in the team.

You're the last fucking person that should diss people for "making shit up" and not addressing the facts, when in the space of 24 hours you cement your position as resident retard by limping into the mourinho/mafia thread without reading it and say "that's why players don't go to italy, because of those mafia". Fuck Tard. Then you stumble into the Ireland thread, look at the facts and then slag us for not looking at the facts. FUCK TARD.

Now you're fucking damn right I have Stevie as my sig, because he is my favourite player (along with SWP), Manchester City's Player of the Year, nominated for YPOTY in the entire premier league and says he wants to stay here for life.

You have a picture of a deserter that couldn't be arsed, then left the club at the drop of a hat and is now warning players not to leave santos for city.

Bit of a difference there, but then again I shouldn't be suprised you can't see one.
Original Dub

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Ireland has all the talent in the world but has not delivered in the big games.

He has done nothing in every derby game I can remember.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum