Gerrard 'fancies' Reds to beat City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Postby cityPinoy_fc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Liverpool star Steven Gerrard has set his sights on beating Manchester City in 10 days' time as the race for Champions League places heats up.

Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat at Arsenal - where the Reds have not won for a decade - along with a similar reverse for Tottenham at Wolves and Aston Villa's 1-1 draw with Manchester United handed the initiative to City.
They are level on points with fourth-placed Liverpool but have two matches in hand and the fixture list pitches the two together at Eastlands a week on Sunday.
With third place now seemingly a distant hope after the Gunners extended their advantage to eight points, Gerrard has called for all efforts to be put into beating Roberto Mancini's side.
"We have got to use a lot of positives from the (Arsenal) match," he said.
"There are plenty of teams who go there and get played off the park. I certainly feel disappointed leaving with nothing.
"We played against a fantastic Arsenal team with quality players who can open up any team in the world, and they did not really create many chances.
"It was just one mistake in our defence and they scored from it.
"The way we played over the 90 minutes, we certainly deserved a point.
"The lads are gutted after putting in all that effort and getting nothing, but sometimes that happens and you just have to get on with it.
"There is nothing we can do about this result now. The lads will reflect on it and we have a very big game coming up against Manchester City.
"But if we play like we did at Arsenal, then I fancy us to beat them.
"I feel if we are on our game and playing well, we are a match for anyone."
An eighth defeat of the season - six more than last year when they ran champions Manchester United a close second - is one of the most damaging statistics for Liverpool.
Seven of those came in the first four months of the campaign. By contrast, Manchester City have lost four and none so far at Eastlands.
The Liverpool captain knows their early form has cost them dearly but held up their seven-match unbeaten league run which came to an end at the Emirates Stadium as a yardstick for the remainder of the season.
"We are where we are in the table because we were very inconsistent earlier in the season," said the England international.
"But look at Liverpool's performances over the last six or seven games - if we show that consistency, then we will challenge for the league."
Gerrard's form has, like the team's, been patchy this season with niggling injuries preventing him from putting in the kind of inspirational performances he has gained a reputation for.
He now feels he is close to getting back to his best but said it was little consolation if it was not benefiting the team.
"I am really happy with the way I played myself [at Arsenal] but I get nothing from that because we came away with nothing," added the 28-year-old.
"But my form is improving."

well then just bring it then.
[center]What would happen if pacman meets ferguson?
WHO THE F*** ARE MAN UNITED!!!!![/center]
cityPinoy_fc
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: Gerrard 'fancies' Reds to beat City

Postby Beeks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Welcome to the Fortress
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john68 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

OK Stevie baby we'll do as you ask...Look at Liverpool's performances over the last 6 or 7 games.

WON....Spurs (H), Bolton (H) and Everton (H).
DREW...Stoke (A) and Wolves (A).
LOST....Arsenal (A)

Impressive eh Stevie. Won 3...Drew 2 and Lost 1...9/9pts at home and a massive 2/9pts away...Now Liverpool do frighten me.
By the way Stevie....It's at Eastlands.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

What worries me is that we have two Stoke games before playing them, and it may deplete our energy resources, unless we use turnover but then it may result in a disappointment against Stoke. If we didn't have to play twice before meeting them I'd be pretty confident that we beat them.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Beeks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:57 pm

We have not lost since April 2009 at COMS...We shouldn't be worried about anyone at home
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john68 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:59 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:What worries me is that we have two Stoke games before playing them, and it may deplete our energy resources, unless we use turnover but then it may result in a disappointment against Stoke. If we didn't have to play twice before meeting them I'd be pretty confident that we beat them.

THAT IS WHY WE HAVE A SQUAD.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:We have not lost since April 2009 at COMS...We shouldn't be worried about anyone at home

That's some serious record alright.

I just hope we don't go out looking scared of them, because Arsenal did and they looked far from winning it for most of the match...
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:We have not lost since April 2009 at COMS...We shouldn't be worried about anyone at home

That's some serious record alright.

I just hope we don't go out looking scared of them, because Arsenal did and they looked far from winning it for most of the match...
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:14 pm

You've cursed us now.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Beeks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

You've cursed us now.

Ahhh but you see...I didn't say we would win...I only said we shouldn't be worried about any teams that come and play us here ;-)
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby mcfc/wire » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:25 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:What worries me is that we have two Stoke games before playing them, and it may deplete our energy resources, unless we use turnover but then it may result in a disappointment against Stoke. If we didn't have to play twice before meeting them I'd be pretty confident that we beat them.

The Dippers have a UEFA Cup game on the Thursday night before playing us . Will Rafa put his second string out for that game ?
mcfc/wire
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Tommy Caton

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 pm

IF Pool play the strong running, hard tackling defensive game they will be hard to beat. IF we play as we have in the last 4 league games with limited attacking quality we will struggle to win so it could be a dour game and that's the kind of game we I would be happy if it wasn't a good game to watch but we WIN.

We certainly have nothing to fear from them.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:IF Pool play the strong running, hard tackling defensive game they will be hard to beat. IF we play as we have in the last 4 league games with limited attacking quality we will struggle to win so it could be a dour game and that's the kind of game we I would be happy if it wasn't a good game to watch but we WIN.

If we can get RSC a bit fitter, I could see him coming on & breaking the deadlock in tight/dour games now that we have a player who can actually deliver a ball into the box.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:40 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:IF Pool play the strong running, hard tackling defensive game they will be hard to beat. IF we play as we have in the last 4 league games with limited attacking quality we will struggle to win so it could be a dour game and that's the kind of game we I would be happy if it wasn't a good game to watch but we WIN.

If we can get RSC a bit fitter, I could see him coming on & breaking the deadlock in tight/dour games now that we have a player who can actually deliver a ball into the box.

Quite possibly Ted but if he is alone in there he might be a little easy to stop.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:51 pm

I thought Gerrard had at best a quiet game against the arse and at times looked like he couldn't be bothered. Did make one cracking cross field pass though which the receiving player promptly kicked out of touch. Sort of summed it up really.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:58 pm

BobKowalski wrote:I thought Gerrard had at best a quiet game against the arse and at times looked like he couldn't be bothered. Did make one cracking cross field pass though which the receiving player promptly kicked out of touch. Sort of summed it up really.

Yep, he was useless.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dazlebluefrog » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:00 pm

mcfc/wire wrote:

The Dippers have a UEFA Cup game on the Thursday night before playing us . Will Rafa put his second string out for that game ?

yes they do just a pity the 1st leg in at anfield would of been nice to know they'd of had a trip to Roumania a couple of days before coming to us
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Postby zuricity » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 pm

dazlebluefrog wrote:
mcfc/wire wrote:

yes they do just a pity the 1st leg in at anfield would of been nice to know they'd of had a trip to Roumania a couple of days before coming to us

Don't worry He'll probably injure himself again, you know, when he does one of those 'snow angel' dives he performs regularly in a game. The one against Everton last saturday was just a classic.

City have a good rest before Sunday, so I am confident we can beat Liverpool. I only saw the second half last night but I saw the entire game against Everton last Saturday and i really do hope they play Skrtel against us , the guys marking is atrocious.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Whassat » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Im glad its at eastlands - Think Pool is up for a beating. Im more worried about our away form.
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 pm

john68 wrote:

THAT IS WHY WE HAVE A SQUAD.

True, but imho we have not 22 players on the same level, so that if one is tired/onjured/suspended, the one stepping in won't make the first be missed. So we either play the same eleven, supposedly our best available, for all the games, risking them playing badly because tired, or we make turnover, but we risk dropping points either at Stoke or in the Pool game because the ones stepping in won't be on the same level of those they substitute.

mcfc/wire wrote:

Possibly, as fourth spot is vital for them, so they won't care less about the Europa League. Had it been CL, then he wouldn't have rested players.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum