Praise for new boy Johnson

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Praise for new boy Johnson

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

New boy Adam Johnson has already made a big impression on his teammates.

A man of the match performance at home against Bolton got Blues fans purring over the January acquisition from Middlesbrough and he has been a huge hit in training too with the established senior players.

Johnson will miss this weekend’s FA Cup tie with Stoke City after playing against City at the Riverside in the third round but will be back for the Premier League trip to the Potteries in midweek.

And Joleon Lescott and Vincent Kompany are just two of the star names ready to welcome him back.

“Some supporters might have been surprised by the quality and confidence he showed against Bolton but the players weren’t,” declared the England defender.

“He was outstanding in that game. We have seen what he can do in training and we know what he brought to the team in Middlesbrough.

“He has come in and settled very well, it probably helped that he knew a few of the lads from the England under 21 side.

“He can’t play in the Cup but I am sure he is going to be a really good addition to the squad for us.”

After being in the treatment room for the early part of Johnson’s arrival Kompany admits he had not had a close up view of the young winger but he too was hugely impressed.

“Adam showed against Bolton what he is all about. He has terrific close ball control. It was the first time I had seen him when we played the other night and I was really impressed,” said the Belgian international.

"He was troubling the opposition all
night long as we saw from how he won
the penalty. If he can have more
games like that he is going to be very
important for us."

Lescott, meanwhile, is hoping to get the nod for the tie against Stoke as the Blues bid to reach the quarter finals.

“There is plenty of competition for places and everyone wants to play in the Cup,” he stressed. “There is still a buzz about the competition that is unique and having been to the final last year with Everton, It would be great to make it Wembley again this time around.”

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Praise for new boy Johnson

Postby kinkylola » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Is kompo fit now? I would definitely play him and lescott at the back to start. I think Kompo's intelligence goes a long way towards boosting his partner's game, and Lescott could definitely use the improved communication and confidence that vinnie would give him.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum