Friday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Friday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 am

Bridge told: end Terry rift or forget World Cup
City defender in frame after Cole injury – but boycott of Egypt friendly would end his international career
It would now seem inevitable that Bridge will be selected in the squad for the Egypt game that will be announced on 27 February after the latest injury to Ashley Cole
Wayne Bridge has been warned by the Fabio Capello camp that if he does not turn up for England's friendly against Egypt next month because of the John Terry scandal then he will be left out of the World Cup squad – despite the latest injury to Ashley Cole.
Capello was hit with his first major pre-World Cup injury crisis yesterday when Cole was ruled out for up to four months with a fractured ankle, which puts his participation in the June tournament in real danger. The 29-year-old will struggle to be fit in time for the announcement of the squad in late May, a severe blow for the England manager.
It puts even more pressure on the second-choice left-back Bridge not to quit international football, in spite of his anger at Terry's alleged affair with his ex-fiancée Vanessa Perroncel. The Capello camp has said in private that it considers the matter closed now that Terry has been stripped of the captaincy and it expects Bridge to join up with the squad as usual for the friendly next month.
Should Bridge decide that he cannot face sharing the same hotel and dressing room as his former friend Terry then Capello will bring the curtain down on the player's international career. With only one friendly before the squad has to be named, he has no intention of giving the Manchester City left-back the game off on 3 March.
As for Bridge, he has not made up his mind yet what he intends to do with his international career. The injury to Cole will certainly change his thinking; it has at last given him the chance to step out from the shadow of the man who took his place in the Chelsea team.
Capello has not spoken to Bridge since the scandal broke and he has no intention of doing so. Barring injury, it would now seem inevitable that Bridge, 29, will be selected in the squad for the Egypt game that will be announced on 27 February. Awkward will not do justice to the scene when Terry and Bridge walk out in front of the television cameras at Arsenal's London Colney training ground for the first time.
Of Cole's injury, Capello said last night: "It's bad news for me because he (Cole) is a very important player. As a left back he is really, really good because he can go forward and defend. He's dangerous. I hope this problem will not be so bad."
Carlo Ancelotti said he still hoped Cole would play this season. He said: "We are disappointed because Ashley Cole is a very important player for us. He has a problem with his ankle and we hope he will be ready for the World Cup. Maybe he will be out for three months. We hope he will be ready for [Chelsea] for the end of the season."
Cole, who has 77 caps, more than Rio Ferdinand and Frank Lampard, broke his ankle in a challenge with Landon Donovan in the defeat by Everton on Wednesday night. Donovan will captain the United States against England in their first World Cup group game.
A scan yesterday revealed the extent of the damage to Cole. Other choices at left-back are Leighton Baines at Everton, who has performed impressively this season, and Stephen Warnock, of Aston Villa, who is currently injured. James Milner and Joleon Lescott can also play there.

The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, said yesterday that Terry would have been applauded in some countries rather than sacked as national team captain for having an affair. Blatter, in Vancouver for the International Olympic Committee's session, said that in "Latin" countries such as France, Italy and Spain, Terry's conduct might not have been considered a problem."

Ireland: 'The chains are off now Hughes has gone reprise'
Stephen Ireland has hit out at Mark Hughes, claiming he feels "the chains are off" now that he has gone.
Ireland says he was shackled by the former Manchester City boss because he played him out of position at Eastlands.
The Irishman's favourite role is as the second striker and he says he couldn't hit top form in the first half of the campaign because Hughes kept moving him around.
Last season's runaway Player of the Year has lost his starting place and has managed just three goals in 20 appearances.
Ireland feels Hughes is partly responsible for his struggles and says he feels liberated since the Welshman was sacked.
"The last six months under Mark Hughes were very frustrating for me," he said. "I was played out of position. I was played as a holding midfielder, a left winger, a right winger and it wasn't me.
"Part of me said I had to adjust and say 'I have to do it', but if you want the best out of me, you have to play me in my best position. Then I can be myself. Now I feel the chains are off."
Ireland, 23, has also been hampered by injuries and he he took several games to recovery fully from a blow to the head suffered in a Carling Cup game against Fulham.
The midfielder is still feeling his way back after a hamstring injury and hopes to get the chance to impress new boss Roberto Mancini against Stoke in the FA Cup tomorrow.
He is impressed by the changes Mancini has made at City during his two months in charge and feels the Italian has made Blues a much tighter unit.
"It must be difficult coming into a club and turning it on its backside when we are so used to doing different things," he said. "I think he's done really well.
"You look at his record so far and he's done a really positive job. We've not been conceding goals, we've been scoring goals and working really hard."
The City fans have kept Ireland going during his difficulties and he would love to repay them by winning their first trophy since 1976.
City fancy their chances of Cup glory because of all the big names that have tumbled out, although he refuses to dismiss Stoke.
"It would be very nice to win a trophy this year," he said. "It would be brilliant for the fans, as they've waited so long.
"I'm really grateful for the relationship I have with them. Growing up, you always want a great fan base like that. I've worked really hard over the last two years to develop that fan base and relationship.
"I think it will be a really intense game against Stoke. They are very good, so we're not going to take that lightly.
"I would never say it is going to be easy on Saturday because you don't tend to win matches like that these days.
"But we will stick to our gameplan and try to control the game the best way we can."

WAG OF THE DAY
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... ica-jordan

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Portsmouth could lose on-loan Algerian midfielder Hassan Yebda because they cannot afford the £4m it would take to buy him from Benfica. The Daily Mirror

But Pompey could be in the running for former Blackburn striker Shabani Nonda, who has been released by Galatasaray on a free.
The Daily Mirror

Sunderland have not given up their interest in Paraguay striker Salvador Cabanas in the summer - despite the player being in hospital at the moment after being shot in the head last month. Daily Star

Manchester United are interested in bringing Benfica's Brazilian Under-20 international defender David Luiz to Old Trafford. The Daily Mail

OTHER BOLLOX
The Premier League could advance Portsmouth their end-of-season payment to help the club stay afloat, provided the other Premier League clubs all agree. Full story: The Daily Mail

Former Manchester United striker Andy Cole is drooling over his old club's performances this season and says Wayne Rooney is in the form of his life.The Daily Mirror

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan says he is glad his mind games have worked after the team responded to talk of a pay cut with their first win of the year when they beat Birmingham on Wednesday night. The Sun

Former Notts County director of football Sven-Goran Eriksson could be on his way to the World Cup as Nigeria and North Korea both want the Swede to take over as manager.The Daily Mirror

England's home weekend international fixtures could be moved to Friday nights from the autumn onwards. Daily Express

Hibernian defender Sol Bamba says his Ivory Coast team-mates wanted to pull out of last month's Africa Cup of Nations after receiving death threats after the attack on the Togo team, and only the nation's president persuaded them to take part. Daily Record

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher says the fact their second-top scorer this season is own goals by opponents - 10 goals - is because they put opponents under so much pressure.The Sun
Last edited by Chinners on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Friday's B*ll*x

Postby Michael Brookes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 am

I need the embedded wag!!!!!
:'(
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Chinners » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 am

Michael Brookes wrote:I need the embedded wag!!!!!

Tis done
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Vhero » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:34 am

Former Manchester U***d striker Andy Cole is drooling over his old club's performances this season and says Wayne Rooney is in the form of his life.The Daily Mirror

Class A Cunt!
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:53 pm

Chinners wrote:The Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, said yesterday that Terry would have been applauded in some countries rather than sacked as national team captain for having an affair. Blatter, in Vancouver for the International Olympic Committee's session, said that in "Latin" countries such as France, Italy and Spain, Terry's conduct might not have been considered a problem."

Why does that not surprise me. Stupid Blurter
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:01 pm

Vhero wrote:
Former Manchester U***d striker Andy Cole is drooling over his old club's performances this season and says Wayne Rooney is in the form of his life.The Daily Mirror

Class A Cunt!

There was interview with Andy Cole in latest FourFourTwo. He was asked who he supports. He answered "well, let's put it this way, I have two seasons tickets in Old Trafford Main Stand". And people were telling me at the time that he isn't a mune despite playing for them before?!?!?!? Fookin hell.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Chinners » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:40 am

Early morning B*ll*x

Wayne Bridge holds fire: Manchester City defender stalls on England future in wake of John Terry scandal

Wayne Bridge is not yet ready to commit to England's World Cup plans in the wake of the John Terry affair.
Ashley Cole's broken ankle - which may yet force him out of the tournament this summer - has left Bridge as the senior left back available to Fabio Capello. But Bridge is still undecided over whether he is prepared to return to an England set-up including Terry, the former Chelsea team-mate who betrayed him with his ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel.
If Bridge did agree to take his place in the England fold, he would almost certainly line up next to Terry as part of Capello's back four. But Bridge has told friends he needs more time to make what is likely to be the most important decision of his football career.
Deal! Mancini has urged Bridge to make himself available for Capello's squad
He must make his mind up by the end of this month, when Capello names his squad for the March 3 friendly against Egypt. Capello will tell Bridge that if he turns down the offer of a place in the squad for the Egypt game, it will be very difficult for the England manager to pick him again. him to get back into the side in future.
Roberto Mancini, Bridge's manager at Manchester City, yesterday told his player not to pass up the opportunity to play in South Africa. 'What is important is the national team, but I won't speak to Wayne about it,' said Mancini.
'Wayne is a good man and all that is important is that he recovers to play for City and the national team. 'For England, Cole is a problem. But they have a good player here in Bridge. He can play in this position in the national team. He never told me that he doesn't want to play with Terry.'
Asked if he thought Bridge was committed to playing for England, Mancini replied: 'Absolutely. Playing in the World Cup is important for all players.
'Wayne was out for a month with a knee injury. Although that is a big problem for a player, he is getting fitter. But after five or six games he will be 100 per cent.'
Capello is due to name his squad on the same weekend Bridge and Terry are set to share a pitch for the first time since the scandal, when City travel to Stamford Bridge two weeks today.
Mancini hopes an FA Cup run-out against Stoke will aid Bridge in his battle to regain full fitness. Stoke's physical style will challenge the defender and one current member of Tony Pulis's side admitted yesterday they were a team he used to hate playing against.
Stoke centre half Robert Huth said: 'I hated playing Stoke when I was at Middlesbrough for the obvious reasons. They were a fit, strong team that didn't give you anything. I didn't like it but being part of it is good. Now if teams have to play us they know they'll find it hard. That is what we will ensure City face.'
Huth expects Carlos Tevez to give him his toughest test of the season. He added: 'Tevez works hard and makes you work hard as well. He doesn't give you any freedom to play. I wouldn't say he was a pest. He is everything you expect of a Premier League player. I would be disappointed if he lets me have the ball.'

WAG OF THE MORNING
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... na-baldini

WAYNE BRIDGE will set aside his personal grievances with John Terry for the good of England’s World Cup bid, according to his Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini.
Mancini says Bridge has no plans to call time on his international career because of Terry’s alleged affair with his ex-partner and mother of his son. And if Fabio Capello selects him as the replacement for injured first-choice left-back Ashley Cole, who underwent surgery on his broken ankle last night and is out for three months, Bridge will jump at the chance – even though it means he will have to line up alongside Terry.
Bridge is set to play his third game in a week in the FA Cup fifth round against Stoke after two months out with a knee injury. And Mancini is backing him to rediscover his peak form and fitness to ensure he is ready to answer England’s call.
He said: “Wayne has never told me that he doesn’t want to play with Terry. He is absolutely committed to playing for England. The chance to play in the World Cup finals is important to any player.
“England have a problem with Cole but they know they have a good replacement in Wayne. In my opinion, he is the best left-back in the country.
“He was out for a month with a knee injury but he is back now and getting fitter with every game. Once he has played five or six games he will be 100 per cent.
“Wayne is a good man and all that is important is he recovers his best form and fitness for Manchester City and be available for England.”
Bridge is understood to have told friends he has not considered retiring from England duty because of Terry. Although distressed and dismayed at his former Chelsea team-mate and friend’s betrayal on a personal level, he does not see why he should compound his pain by forfeiting a place at the World Cup.
Cole’s injury has given him the greatest incentive to try to divert his focus away from his personal troubles and on to football for the rest of the season.
One of the main reasons why Bridge quit Chelsea to join City a year ago was to move out of Cole’s shadow, play regular first-team football and step up the competition for the England left-back position. Now Cole’s fractured ankle has given him the perfect opportunity.

Meanwhile, Mancini, above, has tipped cup-tied new-boy Adam Johnson for England stardom and has not ruled him out of gatecrashing Capello’s World Cup squad.
“He is a great young player,” said Mancini. “If he continues in this mould, he can be a big player for the national team. He reminds me of Ryan Giggs when he was young. Adam has the movement and he works very hard. He has a big chance for the future.”
Robert Huth believes Stoke could ruin City’s season over the next few days, as they meet each other in the Premier League on Tuesday after today’s cup tie.
“We don’t care about them. If we won in the cup it could set us up for the league tie,” said Huth. “Certainly neither team will want to lose both games in four days.”
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Sheikhermaker » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 am

Bridge and Terry : Bro's before ho's?

The team handshakes when we play chelsea should be interesting, not only between Bridge and Terry, but the Team Bridge boys too. If I was Don Fabio I'd lock the two of them in a cell until they've sorted their differences. Now the dust has started to settle on the whole thing, I do expect him to sort it out, nothing should disrupt the preparations for the World Cup. It'll never happen, but I'd love to see a banner at our game at the bridge saying "Bro's before ho's - England must win" or something similar.

Capello must be cursing the WAGs - he banned them from accompanying players at tournaments yet the issue still causes distraction.
Sheikhermaker
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Michael Brookes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 am

Chinners wrote:
Michael Brookes wrote:I need the embedded wag!!!!!

Tis done

Ahhh balance to the force.....

thank you kind sir
Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:42 am

That early morning WAG and just having had some very naughty dreams is extremely bad combination.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Return to The Maine Football forum