Boss aims to polish Johnson's England bid

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Boss aims to polish Johnson's England bid

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Roberto Mancini plans to give new signing Adam Johnson the edge over his rivals for a World Cup berth by making the dazzling young left winger shine diamond bright for Fabio Capello.

Johnson's stunning switch to the right flank from an unfamiliar central starting position just behind the strikers was the catalyst for City's 2-0 victory over Bolton on Tuesday night.

The 22-year-old winger that Mancini likens to a young Ryan Giggs - and instantly dubbed 'Magic' Johnson by fans, after the LA Lakers basketball star - gave a man-of-the-match performance.

Mancini too was excited by Johnson's sparkling display, but now aims to work on the former Middlesbrough prodigy's versatility with one eye on his England prospects this summer.

City's boss said: "He can be an important player for the national team. There are three months to the end of the season. If Adam plays well and often, I think he could have a good chance.

"It's important that a player can play in
different positions for if we have to
change tactics"

"You need two or three players who can do that - play behind the striker, on the right wing, the left wing ... striker, maybe. If we have those, it's good for the team.

"There are some good English wingers around. But usually in the national team we play a diamond midfield behind two strikers - so if Adam can play at the top of the diamond, or on the left or right, that's an advantage. It's good for us, for the national team, and for Adam."

Johnson is Cup-tied tomorrow because he played for Boro against City, but he can expect to be let off the leash again in Tuesday night's return to Premier League action, also against Stoke.

Mancini said: "I remember when Giggs was young, he has the same movement and that left foot. He works well and has a good chance for the future. I watched him train and knew he would be good against Bolton. He played very well but he is still young and can develop more."

Club ambassador and former England winger Mike Summerbee said: "There's a breath of fresh air about him and if he carries on making progress, I can't see how Capello could ignore him."

mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Boss aims to polish Johnson's England bid

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:58 am

i wish someone would polish my johnson.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:34 am

DoomMerchant wrote:i wish someone would polish my johnson.

cheers

you can't polish turd.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:27 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

cheers

you can't polish turd.

well put.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Michael Brookes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:03 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

cheers

you can't polish turd.

well put.

cheers

Silly heads......

Michael Brookes
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: test
My favourite player is: test

Postby King Kev » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:20 am

The 22-year-old winger that Mancini likens to a young Ryan Giggs - and instantly dubbed 'Magic' Johnson by fans, after the LA Lakers basketball star
That's news to me. Magic is the nickname for Michael Johnson as far as I'm concerned!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby ant london » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 am

King Kev wrote:
The 22-year-old winger that Mancini likens to a young Ryan Giggs - and instantly dubbed 'Magic' Johnson by fans, after the LA Lakers basketball star
That's news to me. Magic is the nickname for Michael Johnson as far as I'm concerned!

who?

the athlete?
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:50 pm

ant london wrote:
King Kev wrote:

who?

the athlete?

Don't be silly, Michael Jackson never even played basketball.

actually, silly me - the Jam video.

Carry on....
Original Dub

Return to The Maine Football forum